NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Duke Williams 2019 Outlook

LeeVanCleef

For those in Dynasty leagues, he could be a nice stash, which I have personally done and those with injuries and/or byes, he could be a nice plug and play for the week or just a pick up and hold. He had a strong preseason and dominated in the CFL last year. Low risk, potentially high reward on a team with minimal weapons. 

After a preseason that included two receiving touchdownn Bills Mafia has been banging the drum for rookie wide receiver Duke Williams to get his chance.

On Saturday fans got their wish.

The Buffalo Bills signed Williams to the 53-man roster ahead of Sunday’s game against the Tennessee Titans. The move comes on the heels of a bad game by receiver Zay Jones and second-year speedster Robert Foster’s questionable status for the game with a nagging groin injury.

ESPN’s Marcel Louis-Jaques reported today that the plan is for Williams to play “a lot” versus the Titans. Surely his physical style of play and size will offer Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll a different kind of weapon and blocker in the run game.

Daboll’s been impressed with Williams’ development in practice since preseason ended and the Bills signed him to the team’s practice squad.

“I know you guys see him out there (in practice) in individual. (He is a) Big body guy,” Daboll said. “He did well for us in the preseason. And he’s another guy who’s only been here a short amount of time and has learned the playbook. Tough. Smart. Duke’s always ready to go.”

https://twitter.com/VandyPilot/status/1180572341828509701?s=20spacer.png

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LeeVanCleef said:

Go ahead and laugh but this is how I have found gems for my dynasty team and they eventually became studs in other formats.

I don't laugh. Granted I was quite sarcastic. The Bills could use a big physical WR, no doubt.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, frog34 said:

I don't laugh. Granted I was quite sarcastic. The Bills could use a big physical WR, no doubt.

No, I know. It is the bills and of course this guy hasn't proven anything but I just know from my past experience being on these forums that those that have brought attention to these no-names have helped me a lot in my leagues when I took a chance on those players and they turned into gold. Not saying this is gonna happen but he's in a decent situation to make some noise and potentially be a focal point in the offense. If you have room to stash, it could be worth it but I would definitely keep an eye on him.

Edited by LeeVanCleef
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cord said:

Will this guy be playing in three-wide sets now? How often does Buffalo line up like that? He'll still rank third in the receiving chain, yea?

He's the only big contested catch target in the receiving corps, so he should definitely have a role on this team. However, Robert Foster is due to come back from injury this week (as is Tyler Kroft), so I can see Foster and Williams eating into each other's snaps with a touch of gadget guy Isaiah McKenzie mixing in. I could see this guy catching a few TD's this year, but he will never be trusted as a week to week WR.

FYI...Week 5 snap count (65 total snaps)

John Brown 53 = 82%
Duke Williams 51 = 78%
Cole Beasley 42 = 65%
Andre Roberts 13 = 18%
Isaiah McKenzie 8 = 12%
Zay Jones 1 = 2%

Add him and see what happens. First game and he already out snapped Beasley and was only 2 snaps behind John Brown. 

Williams has the height at 6’ 3” that the other key targets don’t have. The Bills receivers have jokingly been referred to as the Smurfs. The primary receiver is John Brown and he’s only 5’ 11”. The secondary receiver is Cole Beasley and he’s even shorter at 5’ 8”.

Edited by jh83
  • Like 1

picked him up, at this point why not take a dart throw over your last receiver which you probably only play once or twice out of necessity. its worth it imo , with the groin issues that brown has and combine that with the fact his snap percentage was higher than cole beasley AND HE IS THE BIGGEST TARGET ON THE TEAM. he clearly can play worth a dart throw