NBC Sports Edge Forums

Garrett Hampson 2020 Outlook

2 hours ago, NoHablaIngles said:

Don’t let the train leave without you. Hampson is has the talent, and now seemingly the role to be a star. 

Yes let’s hope the hype is real and let’s assume everybody has jumped on board.  it’s not like Hampson isn’t a known target.  I can’t think that Hampson is on waivers in any active league. 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll avoid drafting him just for the sole purpose of not having to open his thread and see the same 3 people complaining about Rockies management of players ALL. YEAR. LONG.

Busting around pick 162 is not a big deal.  People overestimate how well they do in drafts, but again I challenge anyone to look at some redraft drafts they did last year around pick 150 or later. Obv

He's just not a good enough hitter to force his way past the other options.  Even with Desmond on the bench and Rodgers not ready for opening day, he's at best the weak side of a 2B platoon.  When Rod

Posted Images

A guy with the upside to give you something in the spectrum of vintage Shin Soo Choo/Adam Eaton/Ben Zobrist production is a really good fantasy player regardless of position. Should be an easy top 10 fantasy 2B next year, especially in OBP leagues, if he locks down his job security (which won’t take much more at this rate).

1 hour ago, Weekday Warrior said:

A guy with the upside to give you something in the spectrum of vintage Shin Soo Choo/Adam Eaton/Ben Zobrist production is a really good fantasy player regardless of position. Should be an easy top 10 fantasy 2B next year, especially in OBP leagues, if he locks down his job security (which won’t take much more at this rate).

The Rockies play-by-play guys pretty much insinuated that he's their lead-off guy now.

The sky is the limit on this kid. Think Trevor Story...

Hampson is a below average defender and a below average hitter whose stats are heavily boosted by his ballpark. Despite his last 161 PAs (which is nothing in terms of sample size) his projections still have him as a 20% below league average hitter. He also struggles vs RHP (and he sat vs one of the best RHP in baseball yesterday -- Buehler).

we should feel lucky that he's getting any amount of regular ABs as a lead off hitter. You ride this horse until it collapses and then find another one.

Edited by EmbargoLifted
4 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Hampson is a below average defender and a below average hitter whose stats are heavily boosted by his ballpark. Despite his last 161 PAs (which is nothing in terms of sample size) his projections still have him as a 20% below league average hitter. He also struggles vs RHP (and he sat vs one of the best RHP in baseball yesterday -- Buehler).

we should feel lucky that he's getting any amount of regular ABs as a lead off hitter. You ride this horse until it collapses and then find another one.

Small sample size or not, you stating whatever projection you are quoting being more trustworthy than 161 real plate appearances is a flawed argument to say the least.  

I understand why you might think he is a below average defender based on his advanced metrics but I just don't see that being the case.  He has been tasked with playing 4 arguably difficult positions (2B, SS, LF, & CF) while playing irregularly.  Does he have the strongest arm ever?  No, but it's not as weak as you'd think given his frame.  Plus he more than makes up for it with his 99th percentile sprint speed.  I know this has little stats to back, but he passes the eye test defensively.  If they can play him in 1 position for awhile he will be at least average defensively (and i argue even better).

He's always had discipline (career .390 OBP in the minors) and speed (again, 99th percentile in sprint speed).  Those two skills at the top of a Rockies lineup has tantalizing roto value.  His hard hit & exit velo metrics have always been bottom of the barrel which limits his ceiling, but that doesn't mean he isn't a top 100 fantasy player.

5 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Very well said.  Hampson has done very little with his 405 career ABs in the majors to prove that he deserves every day playing time.  Hampson's career slash in the majors is .254 BA, .318 OBP, and .393 SLG.

Everyone talks about how awful the Ian Desmond was (and he certainly has been terrible with the Rockies).  Desmond's career slash with the Rockies is .252 BA, .313 OBP, and .429 SLG.  So Hampson has basically been Ian Desmond with less power.

Hampson is a much better fantasy player than he is a real-life player because he has speed (much more valuable in fantasy than in real-life) and because he plays half his games at Coors (which artificially boosts every Rockies stats).  Real-life wise, Hampson has been pretty terrible in the majors.

Edited by FootballFan101
53 minutes ago, tsh00k said:

Small sample size or not, you stating whatever projection you are quoting being more trustworthy than 161 real plate appearances is a flawed argument to say the least.  

I understand why you might think he is a below average defender based on his advanced metrics but I just don't see that being the case.  He has been tasked with playing 4 arguably difficult positions (2B, SS, LF, & CF) while playing irregularly.  Does he have the strongest arm ever?  No, but it's not as weak as you'd think given his frame.  Plus he more than makes up for it with his 99th percentile sprint speed.  I know this has little stats to back, but he passes the eye test defensively.  If they can play him in 1 position for awhile he will be at least average defensively (and i argue even better).

He's always had discipline (career .390 OBP in the minors) and speed (again, 99th percentile in sprint speed).  Those two skills at the top of a Rockies lineup has tantalizing roto value.  His hard hit & exit velo metrics have always been bottom of the barrel which limits his ceiling, but that doesn't mean he isn't a top 100 fantasy player.

How does sprint speed improve arm strength? I don't see how the two correlate. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Also vs Buehler he's 3-for-8 with a triple, 2 RBI and a walk

• Thanks 1