NBC Sports Edge Forums

Garrett Hampson 2020 Outlook

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll avoid drafting him just for the sole purpose of not having to open his thread and see the same 3 people complaining about Rockies management of players ALL. YEAR. LONG.

Busting around pick 162 is not a big deal.  People overestimate how well they do in drafts, but again I challenge anyone to look at some redraft drafts they did last year around pick 150 or later. Obv

He's just not a good enough hitter to force his way past the other options.  Even with Desmond on the bench and Rodgers not ready for opening day, he's at best the weak side of a 2B platoon.  When Rod

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Low and Away said:

How does sprint speed improve arm strength? I don't see how the two correlate. 

I believe it helps in a few ways.. Keep in mind Hampson isn't fast, he's in the 99th percentile.  Specifically 5th in sprint speed behind Trea Turner and in front of Mondesi. 

1- When a fly ball is hit he can get to a spot where his momentum and body positioning will make up for arm strength.  A player with a better arm who is off balance will likely be hindered more on those few balls Hampson gets to more quickly.

2- He can cut balls off earlier which can have a similar impact on whether runners stay/go compared to guys with arms.  

Just my thought! 

6 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Last 7 days 4-23 .174/174/414   2Rs  0 HR/RBI 1 SB ... horrible bench him 

He's been facing the best pitching staffs and defenses during that time. I'm sure much of Colorado is struggling for offense over the last 7 days. 

I think the Rockies moved Hampson up to lead off spot vs the Diamondbacks and Dodgers because of how poor their catchers are at preventing stolen bases so they wanted to take advantage of Hampson's speed. Now that the Rockies are back to playing against decent catchers who can stop the run game, Hampson's back to his normal spot in the lineup. 

This is just a theory but it passes the sniff test.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

He's been facing the best pitching staffs and defenses during that time. I'm sure much of Colorado is struggling for offense over the last 7 days. 

I think the Rockies moved Hampson up to lead off spot vs the Diamondbacks and Dodgers because of how poor their catchers are at preventing stolen bases so they wanted to take advantage of Hampson's speed. Now that the Rockies are back to playing against decent catchers who can stop the run game, Hampson's back to his normal spot in the lineup. 

So Tapia was thier answer at leadoff lmao?

10 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Well said

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Mrmann1 said:

What do we think about him moving forward 

Right now it probably depends on Tapia's status. The only reason Hampson led off last night was because Tapia was a late scratch with a minor elbow issue. He was originally hitting 6th and then moved up after Tapia was scratched with Hilliard entering the lineup and hitting 8th. Hampson was 2 for 4 with two runs and a walk, but Hilliard out-shined him by going 2 for 5 with a home run, steal and two runs. Tapia led off for six straight games prior to the scratch, so I would think that only if Tapia needs to miss more games would Hampson get another crack at everyday playing time and/or leading off. However, assuming Tapia's absence was only one game, it remains a real mess.

Being a Hampson owner continues to be an extraordinarily frustrating experience due to the lack of consistent opportunity - not talent. My opinion is that if Hampson were given an extended run as the lead-off hitter, the (idiotic) organization would quickly realize what a gem they have on their hands.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I am so damn surprise none of the Hampson bro’s ripped that article took shred 

Hampson bro checking in, ready to defend. 

lol

"For the rest of this season, Hampson probably isn’t worth valuing much. Even if he does improve his plate approach, those improvements will take time to notice. The Rockies, of all organizations, are probably not an organization prepared to notice those improvements quickly. For the future, however, Hampson has a very real chance to be an impact player on the basepaths. Throw in a solid bat and Hampson is a player to buy in dynasty leagues."

I don't hate the idea he is still worth a dynasty buy, but I also think he does have value in most 12-14+ team leagues. 

• Haha 1
On 8/27/2020 at 12:10 PM, The 7th Beatles said:

Good write up here

6 hours ago, shakestreet said:

I am so damn surprise none of the Hampson bro’s ripped that article took shred 

Kinda feel like the author waffled.

Has bad plate discipline and playing time at the moment but is a player to buy in dynastys. OK. He's either good or he isn't. I vote he will be good. If you need someone with consistent PT over the final month in redraft, I think he's fine to avoid.  He had an amazing final month last year, I see that as a distinct possibility as soon as this last month.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, South Jersey Bombers said:

We can will him into the starting lineup, just gotta believe!

He is in the lineup this afternoon and batting 6th! There is progress! OR It's just a Black Tease................