NBC Sports Edge Forums

Norman Powell 2019-2020 Outlook

Through Toronto's first 2 preseason games against the Rockets, Norman Powell has started both games, averaging 18ppg, 3.5 3pointers, on good FG and FT shooting percentages.  All this in less than 20 minutes a game.  

He won't give you a lot of stocks but the scoring and percentages for someone who'll go very late or undrafted in most standard leagues might be appealing especially in Roto leagues.  Coaching staff have raved about him in training camp, and he's gone out to say that he's looking to solidify the starting SG spot for the Raptors.

• Like 1
  • Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Siakam last year, Norm this year. Whatever concerns you may have about playing time or rotations, don’t think about it - the talent always wins out. Got burned twice now and I won’t let it h

Posted Images

Powell has one more 'L' at the end 

But yeah Powell has looked good at various points of his career but has never been able to parlay that into a solidified role. He should have the best opportunity to do it this season, but worth noting that Lowry did not play in either pre-season game and VanVleet has had solid games starting in both games as well.

I think he's good for minutes in the solid mid 20s, but depending on how VanVleet is handled could be the difference between 25-27 mpg and 30-32+ mpg. Regardless I think he's worth a flier for the believers

He's worth a late flier but strangely despite losing two starters with big minutes, it's still crowded on the wing.  I think more of the same for Norm.  Great games with duds.  

FVV, Stanley Johnson, OG, McCaw, Davis looks good, and even Boucher could play minutes at the 3.  Plus Norm, plus Siakam, makes 8 players who could play minutes at the 2/3.  

Edited by hipriest69

Reading through Raptors' boards, the general impression they have from the first 2 preseason games are:

1) OG is nothing special. His ball handling is still mediocre. 

2) Stanley Johnson, McCaw, and RHJ are absolute trash. 

3) You're correct, Terrence Davis and Boucher seem to have potential. 

4) Norman Powell seems to be the one who will take the giant leap this season, and not OG who all fans initially thought would make the MIP-Siakam-type leap. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Blue Eagles said:

Reading through Raptors' boards, the general impression they have from the first 2 preseason games are:

4) Norman Powell seems to be the one who will take the giant leap this season, and not OG who all fans initially thought would make the MIP-Siakam-type leap. 

Powell has by far the most offensive skill.  OG is still very raw and is more catch and shoot.  At least Norm can put the ball on the floor and attack the closeout pretty good.  He's just too inconsistent on a game to game basis and I'm not sure the increased opportunity will yield more consistent results?  Maybe it will.  I personally really like Norm.  I have him in a deep h2h league as a late round wing that can chip in goodness while other people are drafting rookies who won't play, etc.      

2 hours ago, Blue Eagles said:

Well, I am very skeptical of Powell making  giant leap. He will be better, but nothing  mind blowing like Siakam last year.

I think Terence Davis will make it timeshare  with Powell by Christmas.

• Like 3
On 10/10/2019 at 8:55 PM, Gile Pile said:

Well, I am very skeptical of Powell making  giant leap. He will be better, but nothing  mind blowing like Siakam last year.

I think Terence Davis will make it timeshare  with Powell by Christmas.

No giant leap from Powell coming. He is just a piece for us. My guess is that there will be multiple different starters at SG and the hot hand approach will be in effect. Don't rule out guys like RHJ and Stanley Johnson for having some impact as the season goes along. They clearly aren't reaching the hype we had on them when they were drafted, but they can defend and will have their few games a year that gets us excited about them again. Powell has stretches of effectiveness mixed in with stretches where he looks bad - I don't really expect that to change.

BTW, raps fan that probably seen 80 games last year when including the playoffs. We will lean heavily on Siakam, Lowry, Gasol, Ibaka and FVV and hope that guys like OG, Powell, RHJ, Stanley Johnson and even guys like Boucher and Davis can help piece together a solid rotation and bench (which has been our strong suit the last couple seasons).

• Like 2

It seems that Powell may have locked in the starting position.  That being said, I think we'll be seeing a lot of Lowry/VanVleet backcourt action too, so that will cut into Powell's minutes.

He's on my waiver wire and thinking about picking him up.  He's just a flier anyway.

He wasn’t drafted in our league so I picked him up... I always thought he has potential and talent and now with Kawhi and Green out of town I think he could get a significant bump in usage and value. If not he goes back to the wire, no risk involved and I’m not so stacked on SG anyway plus he is eligible for both SG and SF at ESPN which is pretty nice.

edit: ah and I forgot the most important thing, I loved him on Game of Zones 😂

Edited by KB24MVP
45 minutes ago, Monkeyking69 said:

He’s still available on my waivers.. do you think OG willl have an impactful year like siakim did? Deciding whether if I should see ho he does for a few games since their a players like Washington, Tristan Thompson available..

OG has clear path to minutes at sf, so the answer is yes.

53 minutes ago, Monkeyking69 said:

He’s still available on my waivers.. do you think OG willl have an impactful year like siakim did? Deciding whether if I should see ho he does for a few games since their a players like Washington, Tristan Thompson available..

6 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

OG has clear path to minutes at sf, so the answer is yes.

But will he have an impactful year like Siakam?  Hell no.  I would go PJ over OG all day everyday and twice on Sunday. 

On 10/13/2019 at 7:19 AM, corey_rideout said:

No giant leap from Powell coming. He is just a piece for us. My guess is that there will be multiple different starters at SG and the hot hand approach will be in effect. Don't rule out guys like RHJ and Stanley Johnson for having some impact as the season goes along. They clearly aren't reaching the hype we had on them when they were drafted, but they can defend and will have their few games a year that gets us excited about them again. Powell has stretches of effectiveness mixed in with stretches where he looks bad - I don't really expect that to change.

BTW, raps fan that probably seen 80 games last year when including the playoffs. We will lean heavily on Siakam, Lowry, Gasol, Ibaka and FVV and hope that guys like OG, Powell, RHJ, Stanley Johnson and even guys like Boucher and Davis can help piece together a solid rotation and bench (which has been our strong suit the last couple seasons).

Nurse just chastised Stanley and RHJ and pretty much said if they don't show him something in the next game they won't even make the team lol

• 3 weeks later...

Don't sleep on this guy, if he's available in your league.

TOR was already extremely thin at the Guard positions, and with Lowry seemingly leaving behind 36 MPG, and 24 PPG, there is a HUGE opening.

When he's been given an extended look at being the starting lineups in the past, he's mostly excelled in the Per-36 category.

Starting Lineup moving forward will likely be: FVV, Powell, OG, Siakam, Gasol

The way I see it, with Lowry out for likely over a month, Powell should have no problem getting 28-32 MPG and these stats:

42.0 FG%, 80.0 FT%, 1.7 3PM, 15.0 PPG, 4.0 REB, 2.5 AST, 1.0 SPG, 0.1 BLK, 1.9 T/O

He should be a nice, cheap source of 3PM, PPG, and SPG with low T/O

Edited by CORTEz
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, CORTEz said:

Don't sleep on this guy, if he's available in your league.

TOR was already extremely thin at the Guard positions, and with Lowry seemingly leaving behind 36 MPG, and 24 PPG, there is a HUGE opening.

When he's been given an extended look at being the starting lineups in the past, he's mostly excelled in the Per-36 category.

Starting Lineup moving forward will likely be: FVV, Powell, OG, Siakam, Gasol

The way I see it, with Lowry out for likely over a month, Powell should have no problem getting 28-32 MPG and these stats:

42.0 FG%, 80.0 FT%, 1.7 3PM, 15.0 PPG, 4.0 REB, 2.5 AST, 1.0 SPG, 0.1 BLK, 1.9 T/O

He should be a nice, cheap source of 3PM, PPG, and SPG with low T/O

Hope ur right

• tonycpsu changed the title to Norman Powel 2019-2020 Outlook
  • 3 weeks later...
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Norman Powell 2019-2020 Outlook