NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mike Conley 2019-2020 Outlook

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Does your league include "trade r*pe" as a category? 

Posted Images

He has a history of starting slow, amplified by the fact he's in a new system. Stay patient guys..

And honestly, a look at his numbers from the two previous seasons alone shows there’s precedence for Conley’s shot simply needing some time to round into form.

Last season, he didn’t make 50% of his shot attempts in a single game until the ninth matchup of the season. And in those first eight contests, he had myriad shooting nights to forget: 3 for 11 in the opener vs. the Pacers; 6 for 20 against the Jazz; 6 of 18 vs. the Wizards; 7 of 18 against the Jazz again; and and 3 for 16 in Phoenix. In those opening eight games, he shot a combined 47 for 131 — or 35.9%. He would go on to finish the season at 43.8% overall and 36.4% from deep.

It was a similar story in 2017-18. In the dozen games he played before suffering a season-ending injury, he shot above 50% in only two games, and shot just 38.1% overall and 31.2% from deep.

For his career, meanwhile, Conley has shot 44.0% from the field and 37.4% from beyond the arc. Given all those trends, it’s probably fair to theorize he won’t continue at the 23.7% field-goal and 17.6% 3-point clips he’s currently at this year.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2019/10/27/mike-conley-got-off-rough/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All of that is a moot point, he’s on a new team with a new system and he looks a step slow out there.  I don’t see him averaging more than 13-4-6 on the year on really poor efficiency.  Got rid of him for free in a package with ayton for my Lillard basically....that’s the price I had to pay to get rid of this bum

• Haha 4
3 hours ago, Purple Hippo said:

He has a history of starting slow, amplified by the fact he's in a new system. Stay patient guys..

And honestly, a look at his numbers from the two previous seasons alone shows there’s precedence for Conley’s shot simply needing some time to round into form.

Last season, he didn’t make 50% of his shot attempts in a single game until the ninth matchup of the season. And in those first eight contests, he had myriad shooting nights to forget: 3 for 11 in the opener vs. the Pacers; 6 for 20 against the Jazz; 6 of 18 vs. the Wizards; 7 of 18 against the Jazz again; and and 3 for 16 in Phoenix. In those opening eight games, he shot a combined 47 for 131 — or 35.9%. He would go on to finish the season at 43.8% overall and 36.4% from deep.

It was a similar story in 2017-18. In the dozen games he played before suffering a season-ending injury, he shot above 50% in only two games, and shot just 38.1% overall and 31.2% from deep.

For his career, meanwhile, Conley has shot 44.0% from the field and 37.4% from beyond the arc. Given all those trends, it’s probably fair to theorize he won’t continue at the 23.7% field-goal and 17.6% 3-point clips he’s currently at this year.

Thanks for this, I am going to read these stats to myself before every Utah game to keep calm and not rage drop Conley. 

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Purple Hippo said:

36% would be amazing considering he's at 20% for the season so far lol. 

Full squad to chose from next time he plays so I think I'll be sitting his a** on the bench (so no doubt he'll go off - you're all welcome ) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, LiverpoolFan said:

Someone dropped Mike Conley in my league. How much FAAB should I spend on him? ($100 budget) 

Thanks a lot for your help. 

If you bid anything less than $100 then you’re unlikely to get him because someone else might.  You have to decide if you’re ok if he’s the only free agent you get to spend money on all year.  Any half measure likely won’t win.  That said I wouldn’t necessarily bid $100 bc then it could be a tie if someone else bids $100.  You either spend all your $ or you didn’t win the auction which is kinda lose-lose.  I would probably do something like $51 to beat anyone who just bid $50.  You’ll still lose to anyone bidding $100 which is ok.  But if you win you’d get a steal plus have enough Faab to work with.  

18 hours ago, Fantasyscrub said:

I was never going to drop Ayton for Saric. I was #1 in my competitive league last year so I don’t want to hear it.  But dealing with Conley playing like a 300 rank player, Bledsoe being absolute a**, and Ayton losing 30% of the season is too much for me

It's pretty simple, he has an avg fg% that is generally low, but is only making half his shots right now. The good thing is hes taking tons of shots and getting good looks so it's just a matter of time before he gets his rhythm back and gets that fg% up. The absolute worst to expect is fg 40% which would drastically improve his points, and getting back to 43% will happen. Give him time. Beal isn't hitting his shots either, but no ones calling him a bust. Wait a month. Lots of players suck the first month, especially reintegrating themselves to a totally new system and new players. Donovan Mitchell is also playing really well so the only thing that could be hurting Conley besides minor unknown injury, or shot not falling yet, is learning to play next to Mitchell. Be patient it's a 20 week season, only 1 week in. 

16 minutes ago, johnval1362 said:

It's pretty simple, he has an avg fg% that is generally low, but is only making half his shots right now. The good thing is hes taking tons of shots and getting good looks so it's just a matter of time before he gets his rhythm back and gets that fg% up. The absolute worst to expect is fg 40% which would drastically improve his points, and getting back to 43% will happen. Give him time. Beal isn't hitting his shots either, but no ones calling him a bust. Wait a month. Lots of players suck the first month, especially reintegrating themselves to a totally new system and new players. Donovan Mitchell is also playing really well so the only thing that could be hurting Conley besides minor unknown injury, or shot not falling yet, is learning to play next to Mitchell. Be patient it's a 20 week season, only 1 week in. 

Beal is still averaging 20/5/7 with 1.3 stl a game. Thing with Conley is he doesn't really get much else if his shot isn't falling. Not even getting much assists as one of the first pg someone drafted, back in the day Conley would still get you 1.5 stls a game even when he isn't scoring but now he doesn't provide value elsewhere. 

Edited by Raiiny
6 minutes ago, johnval1362 said:

Traded him.  Mike Gone-ley

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Raiiny said:

Beal is still averaging 20/5/7 with 1.3 stl a game. Thing with Conley is he doesn't really get much else if his shot isn't falling. Not even getting much assists as one of the first pg someone drafted, back in the day Conley would still get you 1.5 stls a game even when he isn't scoring but now he doesn't provide value elsewhere. 

He still ranked 35th overall last year in 8 cat with 1.3 steals and elite high volume free throws. No real reason those numbers should decrease this year and that provides value. He was never really a high volume scorer.

His assists will likely dip but even with the horrible start he's at 4.3 for the year. And he's my third PG behind Jrue and Booker as he went relatively cheap ($17) at auction so I don't get how he would be one of a team's first point guards drafted. He's likely the sixth or seventh best player on my team in a balanced build. 

Edited by Purple Hippo
7 minutes ago, Purple Hippo said:

He still ranked 35th overall last year in 8 cat with 1.3 steals and elite high volume free throws. No real reason those numbers should decrease this year and that provides value. He was never really a high volume scorer.

His assists will likely dip but even with the horrible start he's at 4.3 for the year. And he's my third PG behind Jrue and Booker as he went relatively cheap ($17) at auction so I don't get how he would be one of a team's first point guards drafted. He's likely the sixth or seventh best player on my team in a balanced build. 

His adp was around 40 something on yahoo, which means drafted in the 4th/5th round in most leagues, some even 3rd round in 14 teams. So unless people drafted 2 other pgs for some reason and then took Conley in the 4th too then yes he would be one of the first pgs drafted on someones team. He likely won't be getting 6 fta on Utah when they have other options like Mitchell handling and attacking most of the time instead of him. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Mike Conley 2019-2020 Outlook