NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Elfrid Payton 2019-2020 Outlook

KB24MVP

1 minute ago, Sfektz said:

Doesnt even get to play garbage time...yea hes a drop. Dont think hes gonna hit 20-25 mins ever. Had a few beautiful lobs to mitch rob tho. DSJ and Frank are so trash just like this whole knicks franchise. What a joke

I think he will get limited minutes to showcase him, and then they'll trade him for a low first round pick.  DSJ is real trash.  Saw some short clip of him playing during the summer with Trae Young, and dude just seemed like he's a YMCA guy vs Trae.  Every single aspect of his game is so far behind Trae it just shows why he's struggling so badly.  Other than dunking.  He did that a few times.

Frank is very likable but needs to go to PG university or something.  They need to hire like Jamaal Tinsley or Rod Strickland types to show him how to play PG effectively with their strong mental game instead of long arms and athletic ability.  Or Derek Harper.  He'd be a great ex-knick to bring in.  I'd bring in Oak to show Knox the ropes but... oh wait LOL NVM.  He's banned for life or something. 

Knicks do need a big man.  They have a ton of them, but none of them are as good as the one who didn't want to play for them.  There are no superstars on the team.  RJ Barrett isn't looking like a world beater, but not a bad player at all.  They hamstrung themselves with stupid contracts to a bunch of PFs.  Good job guys.  Talking heads keep saying how the Knicks have a cache and I'm like are they even living in the real world?  No NBA guy actually wants to go there while Dolan is still owning the team. 

1 hour ago, sharkpotato said:

Maybe. It's the first game of a back to back so he might only play like 15 min tonight.

Hopefully you are right. That, and the fact that it's a blowout so it's not worth wasting his minutes... 🤞🏼

14 minutes ago, stevenzhang said:

Don't panic: Trades will start happening THIS Sunday. There's a reason why the Knicks are showcasing EVERY single one of their players tonight.

Have you read any rumors?

38 minutes ago, hoop said:

Yes, Miller said he's still minutes-restricted. It's only his second game back from a length hamstring recovery. He's the best point guard on the roster right now and it's not close. The Knicks are still in win-now mode (just stating their intent, not saying that it's rational) so they'll use the players that can help them win. That's why they've played Morris all season, and it's probably why it'd surprise me if Payton doesn't get the lion's share of minutes in the near future

Only when they shift the emphasis to player development will they probably give Ntilikina the most run. I think DSJ needs to spend time in the G League... He's pretty off

Y'know I really agree with you and I've also said time and time again that Payton deserves these minutes but if the Knicks do not act rationally when tanking I think it's fair to assume they wouldn't act rationally when trying to win. 

Just playing devils' advocate considering they didn't even give him garbage time minutes just to help his conditioning out there. I don't even know what can help this team anymore.

13 minutes ago, claptondecheeks said:

Hopefully you are right. That, and the fact that it's a blowout so it's not worth wasting his minutes... 🤞🏼

Have you read any rumors?

Dec 15 is when teams can start trading guys they signed in the offseason (not ones they extended though).

Time is so static in the world of fantasy.  People need to chill.  We get such highs on one good game and such lows on one bad game.  This is where one must take a step back and analyze the context of the situation, make a move - or not - and carry on.  In this case, Payton, arguably their discernibly best PG is coming back from a hamstring injury on the most dysfunctional franchise in the league.  Obviously the potential is there, but the same case can be made with Mitch Rob and - even more obviously - with Randle; but the cards ain't gonna fall where everyone expects or wants them to fall.  That said, fantasy is all about risk, and if the aforementioned sways you any which way, follow your fantasy instincts and add/keep/cut him.  My sound advice: they play a b2b, GSW tomorrow.  Let this game be a slight indicator as to where the potential trajectory of where this team might be headed.  I perceive it as a bonus that they got blown away (again) and Payton only played 12 minutes - a signifier that this dude needs more time with certain players that require his presence on the floor.  But there is a cautious optimism here, prone to be violated in one fell swoop.  And uh, yeah, that's all i guess.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nica4two said:

Time is so static in the world of fantasy.  People need to chill.  We get such highs on one good game and such lows on one bad game.  This is where one must take a step back and analyze the context of the situation, make a move - or not - and carry on.  In this case, Payton, arguably their discernibly best PG is coming back from a hamstring injury on the most dysfunctional franchise in the league.  Obviously the potential is there, but the same case can be made with Mitch Rob and - even more obviously - with Randle; but the cards ain't gonna fall where everyone expects or wants them to fall.  That said, fantasy is all about risk, and if the aforementioned sways you any which way, follow your fantasy instincts and add/keep/cut him.  My sound advice: they play a b2b, GSW tomorrow.  Let this game be a slight indicator as to where the potential trajectory of where this team might be headed.  I perceive it as a bonus that they got blown away (again) and Payton only played 12 minutes - a signifier that this dude needs more time with certain players that require his presence on the floor.  But there is a cautious optimism here, prone to be violated in one fell swoop.  And uh, yeah, that's all i guess.

Tell me how you really feel 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nica4two said:

This is so calming and zen. I guess Phil Jackson still follows the Knicks for his fantasy squad.

3 hours ago, Huk said:

Maybe w/ the blowout, coach didnt want to force him, since he got that hamstring and just came back. Plus, is not like Ntilikina got 30min and he got only 12, Ntilikina got 17.

Today is a good matchup vs GSW. Fingers Crossed.

Honestly good matchup against GSW... my fingers are crossed too, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he got 17 minutes again... lol... 

10 hours ago, vnmslsrbms said:

I think he will get limited minutes to showcase him, and then they'll trade him for a low first round pick.  DSJ is real trash.  Saw some short clip of him playing during the summer with Trae Young, and dude just seemed like he's a YMCA guy vs Trae.  Every single aspect of his game is so far behind Trae it just shows why he's struggling so badly.  Other than dunking.  He did that a few times.

Frank is very likable but needs to go to PG university or something.  They need to hire like Jamaal Tinsley or Rod Strickland types to show him how to play PG effectively with their strong mental game instead of long arms and athletic ability.  Or Derek Harper.  He'd be a great ex-knick to bring in.  I'd bring in Oak to show Knox the ropes but... oh wait LOL NVM.  He's banned for life or something. 

Knicks do need a big man.  They have a ton of them, but none of them are as good as the one who didn't want to play for them.  There are no superstars on the team.  RJ Barrett isn't looking like a world beater, but not a bad player at all.  They hamstrung themselves with stupid contracts to a bunch of PFs.  Good job guys.  Talking heads keep saying how the Knicks have a cache and I'm like are they even living in the real world?  No NBA guy actually wants to go there while Dolan is still owning the team. 

I know what clip you are talking about and it’s kinda funny that you think Young was impressive. The guy was carrying the ball every possession. DSJ hasn’t been great offensively but he’s shown some flashes and he’s been playing decent on ball defence. He can be a good player, but he’s not going to do that on this team. There’s to many selfish vets. Knicks suck because their whole team is stretch 4 bigs now and nobody shares the ball. They actually have guys with defensive potential, but they just can’t make shots to save their life. DSJ isn’t the best but calling him a YMCA guy is just disrespectful, how many guys at your local gym have his athleticism? 

11 hours ago, kilslo said:

Dude is shooting 37% from the field and like 27 from 3

He’s been a brick 

he can shoot, has unlimited range, the shot selection is a problem and something that will be taken care of with time but undoubtedly he has quite some range for his age and is shooting much better with each game

to add to this, he def is a better shooter at this moment than dsj, frank and elfrid

Edited by L3onD

1 hour ago, L3onD said:

he can shoot, has unlimited range, the shot selection is a problem and something that will be taken care of with time but undoubtedly he has quite some range for his age and is shooting much better with each game

to add to this, he def is a better shooter at this moment than dsj, frank and elfrid

Unlimited range is overrated especially when you can't shoot and fact of the matter is Melo has never shot well at any level

High school, JBL (the league his father created) or internationally  

He literally shoots w both hands bc he doesn’t have the strength to shoot a textbook 3. This goes deeper than just shot selection. He remains a very much work in progress

1 hour ago, L3onD said:

Lmao. Stephen Curry and Ray Allen have unlimited range. Carmelo Anthony definitely has a limit. Like if you cut half court in half then maybe.