NBC Sports EDGE Forums

New York Yankees 2020 Outlook

jfazz23

54 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

They can hit if everyone is healthy...Stanton looks like a new man with a better approach.  Outside of Sanchez (still clueless) I do not see any red flags on the offensive side.  The pitching I still worry with Paxton and Happ.  They are going to need to rely on Montgomery imo.  They are definitely helped by the fact that that most of their AL rivals are weaker this year.

sanchez will hit, torres too.  i mean, Urshela would be hititng 2nd-5th on most teams and he hits 8th on the yanks many times.  paxtons velocity has been like 91-92, we are hearing nothing about an injury.  i just think the covid stuff messed him up.  he might need 5 or 6 starts to build his arm up and get back to the 95+ range. remember how dominant he was the last 12 or so games last year.  happ concerns me, id give him about 5 starts before i try to replace him via minor leagues or trade....btw is there a trade deadline?  but im very high on montgomery and Tanaka is solid enough.  combine that with the best bullpen in baseball and i think 100 wins in a mildly disappointing season.  i really think they would push 110

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

sanchez will hit, torres too.  i mean, Urshela would be hititng 2nd-5th on most teams and he hits 8th on the yanks many times.  paxtons velocity has been like 91-92, we are hearing nothing about an injury.  i just think the covid stuff messed him up.  he might need 5 or 6 starts to build his arm up and get back to the 95+ range. remember how dominant he was the last 12 or so games last year.  happ concerns me, id give him about 5 starts before i try to replace him via minor leagues or trade....btw is there a trade deadline?  but im very high on montgomery and Tanaka is solid enough.  combine that with the best bullpen in baseball and i think 100 wins in a mildly disappointing season.  i really think they would push 110

Sanchez is clueless with a swing for the fences mentality.  A guess\mistake hitter imo.  He is what he is, but he is never going to hit for avg imo and really in a bad year he could be brutally bad with the Ks.  Add in his defense is not that good.  There is a lot of bad pitching in the AL east, so he should manage to do OK for him assuming he is not totally lost. However that is just what he has been so far as he is striking out at an unbelievable rate (14Ks in 25 ABs).

As to Paxton, you can call it rust or you can call it just plain being streaky, but his erratic outings are a problem as you just can't trust him in a big game imo.  Can be really good or can be brutally bad and there is no in between usually.  Does not make you feel good if you have to start him in a playoff game imo. 

Happ looks lost.  I think the juiced ball has done him in.

25 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

Trade deadline is 08/31/20.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Sanchez is clueless with a swing for the fences mentality.  A guess\mistake hitter imo.  He is what he is, but he is never going to hit for avg imo and really in a bad year he could be brutally bad with the Ks.  Add in his defense is not that good.  There is a lot of bad pitching in the AL east, so he should manage to do OK for him assuming he is not totally lost. However that is just what he has been so far as he is striking out at an unbelievable rate (14Ks in 25 ABs).

As to Paxton, you can call it rust or you can call it just plain being streaky, but his erratic outings are a problem as you just can't trust him in a big game imo.  Can be really good or can be brutally bad and there is no in between usually.  Does not make you feel good if you have to start him in a playoff game imo. 

Happ looks lost.  I think the juiced ball has done him in.

meh.  if sanchez is our 7 hitter and if he hits 230 with 35 HR pop im ok with that.  hell still push 100 rbi for a catcher.  i agree the yanks prob should not sign him to a long term deal (and i dont think they will)

i think Happ can do enough to at least be serviceable during the season.  they dont have to pick up his option next year if he pitches to a 6 era.  you may be right about the juiced ball.  probably are actually.  im far more confident paxton adds his velocity over the next month, just in time for the last month of the season and playoffs.  The AL looks very weak this year.  a rotation of Cole, Tanaka, Paxton and even an opener of Chad Green/Jordan Montgomery looks pretty dominant with our lineup and Pen.  i mean maybe Cleveland can match that with Bieber, Clevinger, Carrasco but im not sure about their offense and pen. minnesota has a potent offense but imnot sure their pitching/pen can stop this lineup.  Britton looks like cy young britton.  Green and Ottavino look great.  Kahnle got hurt but i dont think its too srs, and i like King and Loisiga for long relief, they both have good stuff.

7 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

ESPN Schedule has NYY playing both a road and home game tomorrow. One starts at 4 the other at 7. What gives?

The New York Yankees – Philadelphia Phillies game scheduled for Tuesday, August 4, at Yankee Stadium has been postponed due to the forecast of severe inclement weather.

The game has been rescheduled as the first game (4:05 p.m.) of a straight doubleheader at Citizens Bank Park on Wednesday, August 5.

The Yankees will be the home team for the first game of Wednesday’s doubleheader, and the Phillies will be the home team for the second game.

The second game will start approximately 35 minutes after the conclusion of the first game.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2020/08/yankees-hearing-of-possible-phillies-doubleheader-with-tropical-storm-isaias-en-route.html

Edited by hockeyfan77
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 1:26 PM, jfazz23 said:

urshela had one good season....

Who do we think the Yankees target at the trade deadline? Obviously were going to need at least 1 SP. It's hard to speculate on who might be a good trade candidate since so many teams seem to be in the post season hunt with the shortened season. After looking at a list of pitchers with expiring contracts I realized theres not much talent out there in that regard. Any of you have you fingers crossed for someone in particular? I'd love to see the Yanks land Trevor Bauer. 

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie

Yanks are in free fall. Last year they had the "next man up" mantra and it worked. Everyone pulled their weight. Now it seems they can't do anything right. Their "sure thing" bullpen has been blowing leads left and right. Starters are hit or miss. Gerrit Cole is far from the deGrom ace they're paying for (so far). Hitting has been bad. 

I really don't like the whole philosophy of getting into the playoffs and having everyone healthy and back in the lineup for that. You can't just slot someone in that hasn't played in weeks. Hitting requires repetition. The Yankees overhauled their training staff this winter, bringing in Eric Cressey to oversee their training and strength/conditioning, and still we're seeing an enormous amount of soft tissue injuries. I am miffed. 

11 hours ago, Guzman said:

Yanks are in free fall. Last year they had the "next man up" mantra and it worked. Everyone pulled their weight. Now it seems they can't do anything right. Their "sure thing" bullpen has been blowing leads left and right. Starters are hit or miss. Gerrit Cole is far from the deGrom ace they're paying for (so far). Hitting has been bad. 

I really don't like the whole philosophy of getting into the playoffs and having everyone healthy and back in the lineup for that. You can't just slot someone in that hasn't played in weeks. Hitting requires repetition. The Yankees overhauled their training staff this winter, bringing in Eric Cressey to oversee their training and strength/conditioning, and still we're seeing an enormous amount of soft tissue injuries. I am miffed. 

That's not anyones philosophy.  They just have a lot of injuries.  Last year guys like Voit and Urshela stepped up bigtime.  Then there was Torres and DJLM who were rock solid.  All of those guys except for Voit have been hurt. Then the usual hurt guys like Stanton and Judge, etc.  The bullpen has been banged up too. Kahnle was a big loss. Britton has been hurt.  You talk about repetition but seemingly discount the amount of time they've been off between games.

3 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Don't sleep on the Yankees making a run for him. 

Who would the Yankees have to trade for Clev?

all I’ve seen are the Yankees fans sad 3 for 1 deals on all of their busted prospects. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1