NBC Sports EDGE Forums

New York Yankees 2020 Outlook

jfazz23

17 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I felt the same way about Stanton in Miami so no "homer" talk here.  And that was when his power had some real value as in before the super juiced ball made even utility guys sluggers.  Come back player?  Eh, my money is probably on McCullers most likely.

u felt the same way in miami and then he hit 58 homeruns?

ill take it....i guess

1 hour ago, KingJoffrey said:

I don't believe any other baseball team had so many MVP candidates.  I'm not saying I'd bet on these guys to beat Trout for even money.  But all are possible.

1. DJ LeMahieu - Nobody really thought about this guy preseason, but he finished 4th in the league in MVP voting.  You never know.  He might repeat.

2. AAron Judge - Just needs to Stay Healthy, Potential 55+ HR power combined with patience, an OPS over 1.000 is doable.

3.Giancarlo Stanton - See above.  Maybe a little Less OBP skills.  

4. Gleyber Torres.  Only 23 years old.  Posted .870 OPS. One horrible month killed him.  (Maybe he was hurt).

5. Gio Urshela -  Nobody really thinks he can do what he did again but you never know.

6. Gary Sanchez.  A little more of a longshot (Catches generally wear down and get injured more) but not impossible. Has elite power and above avg defense.  

7. Gerrit Cole  - Not unheard of to give pitchers MVP and Cy Young.  With so much offense around baseball, it might just split up the vote and Gerrit wins.

how is Luke "The Country Knight" Voit not on this list?????

26 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

u felt the same way in miami and then he hit 58 homeruns?

ill take it....i guess

He also was injured all the time in Miami as well.  His whole portfolio is homers and strikeouts.  I never cared for those types of players.  Him and  Chris Davis and Adam Dunn etc, etc, etc.  They don't carry teams.  So he is all yours most gladly.

15 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He also was injured all the time in Miami as well.  His whole portfolio is homers and strikeouts.  I never cared for those types of players.  Him and  Chris Davis and Adam Dunn etc, etc, etc.  They don't carry teams.  So he is all yours most gladly.

Stanton has had 5 years with at least a 4 war. I would gladly take that from someone. That's all-star level. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

tbh i didnt like the trade.  but to say you KNOW he isnt ever coming back is just ridiculous.  and he doesnt have to carry the team, the yanks are stacked.  but if he can play 145 games (he played 159 and 158 the previous 2 years) hes gonna pop 40 homers with potential of 50 even 60

• Like 2

Big hulking dudes who swing for the fences aren’t suddenly going to become nimble.  That’s what the Yankees are.  Even DJL is 6’4.  

Some of their injury problems last year were the kind everyone have, others were guys just breaking down.  Stanton had cascade injuries.  He’s only played 3-4 seasons “healthy” and now he’s on the wrong side of 30.  We Should expect him to play more than half a season, but his days of getting 550+ PA may be done.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 7:52 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Then you better hope they win the World Series because that ain't happening.  No how no way does Judge beat out Mike Trout or even Bregman, Bogaerts, a healthy Lindor (if he stays in the AL), Semien or a dozen other players including NY's own Torres.  And obviously Stanton won't come back at all.  Cole is the only real contender of the three.

The last time Judge was healthy for a full season he was a runner-up for the AL MVP. No Astro is winning any awards and saying that significantly inferior players like Bogaerts and Semien have a chance is just silly. Trout and Lindor are his only real competition, and Betts if he’s not traded. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/21/2020 at 12:40 PM, SpecialFNK said:

ZiPS projections for Mike Ford in 2020 are 25 HR/75 RBI. where is Ford's playing time supposed to come from?

I think Voit showed enough that he should be the every day 1B. ZiPS has Voit for 23 HR/73 RBI.

hmm. this is a bit puzzling. im assuming by these calculations they project Ford to see the bulk of playing time at 1b (or dh for that matter - just more playing time in general). what gives here?  

2 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

hmm. this is a bit puzzling. im assuming by these calculations they project Ford to see the bulk of playing time at 1b (or dh for that matter - just more playing time in general). what gives here?  

ZIPS doesn't manage the Yankees.  Voit is the regular Yankee 1B until the Yankees say otherwise.  Not ZIPS or any other online whatever site.

On 1/7/2020 at 12:19 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Not sure what you're talking about.  He has a career slash line of .268/.358/.547   In no way comparable to the hitter you're making him out to be.  Not like Davis and Dunn who could barely hit above the Mendoza line.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2020 at 12:40 PM, SpecialFNK said:

ZiPS projections for Mike Ford in 2020 are 25 HR/75 RBI. where is Ford's playing time supposed to come from?

I think Voit showed enough that he should be the every day 1B. ZiPS has Voit for 23 HR/73 RBI.

Well.. Ford is the best LHB on the whole roster so it wouldn't be nuts if he got ABs as a DH, especially at home. 

Stanton LF, Voit 1B, Ford DH. Andujar worked in against LHP. 

I don't see the rationale in playing Andujar over Ford if they both suck defensively. Ford's batted ball profile and strike zone metrics are all great. 

There is some merit in having that LHB in the middle of the lineup somewhere to break up all the RHBs, I think. 

6 hours ago, Squeeealer said:

Anyone else like me and thinking the player whose playing time is most at risk from Miguel Andujar potentially performing well is Luke Voit?  Of course, I wondered that last year with who DJ would take ABs from and injuries took care of everything LOL

Very possible.  He had a really bad 2nd half and turning 29 in 2 weeks.  There's other players on the roster who can DH and play 1B so Voit's job is far from safe.

1 hour ago, dod959 said:

Well.. Ford is the best LHB on the whole roster so it wouldn't be nuts if he got ABs as a DH, especially at home. 

Stanton LF, Voit 1B, Ford DH. Andujar worked in against LHP. 

I don't see the rationale in playing Andujar over Ford if they both suck defensively. Ford's batted ball profile and strike zone metrics are all great. 

There is some merit in having that LHB in the middle of the lineup somewhere to break up all the RHBs, I think. 

Is Ford really better than Tauchman?  I'm not sure about that.  Andujar will move around a lot to keep him in the lineup.  Everyone will get playing time until the situation sorts itself out.

1 hour ago, MrBrown said:

Very possible.  He had a really bad 2nd half and turning 29 in 2 weeks.  There's other players on the roster who can DH and play 1B so Voit's job is far from safe.

Is Ford really better than Tauchman?  I'm not sure about that.  Andujar will move around a lot to keep him in the lineup.  Everyone will get playing time until the situation sorts itself out.

As a pure hitter I think so, definitely. He hit 35 homers last year between AAA/MLB with a K rate about the same as LeMahieu. I'm just thinking there's definitely a clear way to use Ford. Against RHP @ home for sure. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 11:15 AM, this guy right here said:

Judge needs to stay on the field to be the MVP. Only played 150 games one year out of three. Stanton's durability is on par with Judge. 

On 1/25/2020 at 4:12 AM, Thenewwildone8 said:

Not at all. 2 freak injuries don’t make him injury prone.

Judge has three seasons. One of which he's played 150 games. The other two he played 112 (70%) 100 (62%) 

33% of his seasons played have been 150 games...."full season"

Stanton has played 150+ games three years ( two above 158) in ten years. That's 30% of his seasons.

He had another at 145 games w/ 40 less plate appearances than Judge had in his "full season." The argument can be made that Stanton has a 40% 'full season" rate

Stanton missed a year to....getting hit in the face. You don't get more freak than that.

Two injuries in three years for Judge....not a sign of optimal health.

Now, Judge has a shoulder issue AGAIN. Nothing freak about chronic shoulder issues.

Edited by this guy right here

On 1/27/2020 at 11:40 PM, MrBrown said:

Not sure what you're talking about.  He has a career slash line of .268/.358/.547   In no way comparable to the hitter you're making him out to be.  Not like Davis and Dunn who could barely hit above the Mendoza line.

Dunn had a .250/.381/.521 career slash line thru age 30. (26.9%K)  .902 OPS (133 OPS+) While Stanton is a career .905 OPS (144 OPS+, 28.1%K)

Stanton is a better version of a high K%  3 True outcome hitter, but they are both high K% TTO power hitters. Which can have BA/production sink pretty quick after 30.

You can argue that pitchers are better at striking out batters in today's game and you would be correct. However, that means the danger a TTO players BA will plummet is greater. Since they have less margin of error.