NBC Sports EDGE Forums

New York Yankees 2020 Outlook

jfazz23

11 minutes ago, dan said:

Time for the Evil Empire to see what kind of starting pitching they can acquire for Andujar and/or Frazier.

Yes it makes a lot of sense for them to deal from depth now to patch up the rotation. 

Any trade candidates?

Gerritt Cole, Tanaka, JA Happ as the big 3 apparently. Paxton back in May, Domingo German back after his suspension, Loasinga and Montgomery will prolly fill in til the real pitchers return. Without Severino the Yankees look more like a 1 and done wild card team than a contender.

On 2/22/2020 at 8:55 AM, Slatykamora said:

Dunn had a .250/.381/.521 career slash line thru age 30. (26.9%K)  .902 OPS (133 OPS+) While Stanton is a career .905 OPS (144 OPS+, 28.1%K)

Stanton is a better version of a high K%  3 True outcome hitter, but they are both high K% TTO power hitters. Which can have BA/production sink pretty quick after 30.

You can argue that pitchers are better at striking out batters in today's game and you would be correct. However, that means the danger a TTO players BA will plummet is greater. Since they have less margin of error.

We're talking 2020 Yankees outlook here. So I don't care to talk about what can happen after 30 when he may not even be a Yankee anymore.  If you don't want pre-White Sox Adam Dunn on your team than you're basically a fool.  I assumed he was talking about the White Sox type Dunn.

11 hours ago, hailfire4 said:

Gerritt Cole, Tanaka, JA Happ as the big 3 apparently. Paxton back in May, Domingo German back after his suspension, Loasinga and Montgomery will prolly fill in til the real pitchers return. Without Severino the Yankees look more like a 1 and done wild card team than a contender.

Montgomery can be solid. He's missed a lot of time since TJ surgery but still has a lot of ability as a starter   The last 2 rotation spots are up for grabs between Montgomery, Loaisiga, King, and Cessa.  The obvious choises are Montgomery and Loaisiga, but I think this will be a real competition now.

10 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

If The Red Sox tanked and still end up ahead of the Yankees because of all their injuries, it would be funny.

The Red Sox are just about the worst team in baseball. Lmao you can't be serious.

6 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

i wouldnt panic if i were cashman, especially if offense and pen are healthy going into year.  although, id be watching guys like boyd, carrasco, clevinger etc etc

doubt the indians will be willing to trade their arms. they have a legit shot at winning their division. a trade with them (or anyone else with playoff aspirations for that matter) most likely wouldnt happen until the deadline if at all. yanks will give the opportunity to guys within the organization first. fingers crossed devi garcia pans out to be the real deal. 

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie

12 hours ago, MrBrown said:

We're talking 2020 Yankees outlook here. So I don't care to talk about what can happen after 30 when he may not even be a Yankee anymore.  If you don't want pre-White Sox Adam Dunn on your team than you're basically a fool.  I assumed he was talking about the White Sox type Dunn.

1.)He is 30 already. The decline could be happening sooner then later. Maybe not this year, but it's not that far off.

2.)Stanton's contract makes him un-movable. He's going to be Yankee for several years after 2020.

1 minute ago, Slatykamora said:

1.)He is 30 already. The decline could be happening sooner then later. Maybe not this year, but it's not that far off.

2.)Stanton's contract makes him un-movable. He's going to be Yankee for several years after 2020.

Reincarnation of Alex (Ellsbury) Rodriguez. Spectacular 

1 minute ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

I think that the Yankees would be more than happy with two MVPs and an average 4.5 WAR per season out of Stanton. 

But they won't get it.  Guy is making Tulo seem like Iron Horse Gehrig by comparison.

Giancarlo Stanton has been diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain of his right calf and is questionable for Opening Day.

Stanton suffered the injury while doing outfield work on Tuesday, per Yankees manager Aaron Boone. He'll be shut down for at least a couple of weeks. It's yet another physical setback for the high-priced slugger, who appeared in only 18 games for New York during the 2019 season due to biceps, shoulder, calf, knee, and quad injuries. Miguel Andujar or Clint Frazier could benefit here from a possible early-season opening at DH.

Source: James Wagner on Twitter                                   Feb 26, 2020, 3:37 PM ET