NBC Sports EDGE Forums

New York Yankees 2020 Outlook

jfazz23

9 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Do you have any idea how much ARod made/production since 2011 (last 6 years) of his contract? 7.8 WAR total 

Its a different situation. Arod's second contract was awful but overall he was great for the Yankees. The second contract is easier to stomach when they got a World Series out of him in the first.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 1:02 PM, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

With their young talent getting pricy in future. The yanks time to win is now. So this is unfortunate, you just hate to see that. 

Tough to see the rich kid on the block NYY, get a toy taken away.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

1.)He is 30 already. The decline could be happening sooner then later. Maybe not this year, but it's not that far off.

2.)Stanton's contract makes him un-movable. He's going to be Yankee for several years after 2020.

1. Maybe you don't understand what over 30 means. Like I said we're talking 2020 Yankees outlook here.

2.  Stanton has an opt out after this season.  He's owed around 7yr/$210M.  If he were to have an MVP type year (which he's capable of) then he could realistically opt out.  Regardless this is 2020 Yankees outlook thread.  What do you not understand?

• Like 1

Just now, itslarry said:

Looks more like the yankees are falling apart.

Or have the injury reports been wrong?

Falling apart?  Nope, sorry rookie.  Yankees are DEEP!  Tauchmann, Frazier, Andujar, and Wade all ready to go. And that's with injuries to Stanton and Hicks.  Severino is a big blow, but Stanton not really.  Yankees still have Montgomery, King, Loaisiga, and Cessa all ready to fill the last 2 rotation spots until Paxton and German come back.  Not a big damper on the season.  Just might only win 107 games now instead of 120..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kramjam24 said:

im a yankee fan but who is this king guy i keep hearing about?

https://lastwordonbaseball.com/2019/09/21/new-york-yankees-michael-king-scouting-report/

Mike King, got hurt last year in ST and had a frustrating season dealing with the injuries.  He had 1 appearance in late September and did well over 2 innings of work vs TEX.  He has a lot of ability and capable of making an immediate impact as a start for the Yankees. Keep an eye on him in ST.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=king--000mik

Edited by MrBrown
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Falling apart?  Nope, sorry rookie.  Yankees are DEEP!  Tauchmann, Frazier, Andujar, and Wade all ready to go. And that's with injuries to Stanton and Hicks.  Severino is a big blow, but Stanton not really.  Yankees still have Montgomery, King, Loaisiga, and Cessa all ready to fill the last 2 rotation spots until Paxton and German come back.  Not a big damper on the season.  Just might only win 107 games now instead of 120..

107? C'mon man.

Not saying thats impossible but that's like the uppermost end of outcomes. 

Edited by 2ndCitySox

3 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Its a different situation. Arod's second contract was awful but overall he was great for the Yankees. The second contract is easier to stomach when they got a World Series out of him in the first.

I loved ARod’s first six years but the last six were goddamn awful. In my eyes whatever he did the last six outweighs what he did the first. 

59 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

This needs to be in the bold perditions thread.😂

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, charger_ss24 said:

This needs to be in the bold perditions thread.😂

I just kept imagining the meme of the cartoon dog sitting in the burning room saying "everything is fine".

I still think NYY is the favorite to win the division, but the odds of that dropped with Severino out for the year. While they do have some options for him, Paxton, and German, it does get a bit dicey. 

Rotation for now looks like:

Cole (good)

Tanaka 

Happ

J Montgomery 

Johnny Lasagna 

Which can keep them afloat (with dat bullpen) until Paxton and German come back. Of course, how much you trust those two is a matter of opinion. 

The Yanks should strongly consider a trade for a legit starter. They have depth to trade from, and viable competition in the Rays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBrown said:

1. Maybe you don't understand what over 30 means. Like I said we're talking 2020 Yankees outlook here.

2.  Stanton has an opt out after this season.  He's owed around 7yr/$210M.  If he were to have an MVP type year (which he's capable of) then he could realistically opt out.  Regardless this is 2020 Yankees outlook thread.  What do you not understand?

1.)Its a game of odds. 31 is not some magical age. Just that he is getting towards when physical prime can start to tip. Being a big dude with whiff issues don't help it. How it specifically manifests is not some precise thing. All these recent injuries last year or so? May or may not be that. TBD

2.) Stanton Opting out is 98% wishful thinking. 210M @ age 31?  Even if he has a really good year. He should have a good understanding the market has position and age biases. Over 30 Corner OF that will likely need to be DH for the last half of it? The flops of Fleider/Pujols/Howard/Davis/Miggy have too many scared off that.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 3:22 PM, TheForearmShiver said:

Who is the hot add for his replacement? Assuming Montgomery was already replacing Paxton, who’s the next hot pickup?

On 2/25/2020 at 3:23 PM, Sidearmer said:

Deivi going to get a realistica chance now I would think.

As I've said, 2 spots between Montgomery, King, Loaisiga, and Cessa.  They aren't going to rush Deivi when they have other options.  I think it will be Montgomery and King but it depends how ST goes.

42 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

I get the feeling the Yankees use the IL as a load management tool. If they are just constantly benching stars the fans would start to get upset...especially if they lose those games. This way it seems like it is out of their hands.

Maybe ‘cause...it is?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OaksterDan said:

107 wins is laughable. JA Happ is their third starter. That isn't good. Who knows? Tampa or Toronto could overtake them this year if things break right. Twins weren't supposed to have a chance at the Central going into last year. Seems like there's one surprise team every year in MLB.

Paxton and German will be back - for probably at least half a season.  Acting like Happ is the third starter for the duration seems a bit strange.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OaksterDan said:

107 wins is laughable. JA Happ is their third starter. That isn't good. Who knows? Tampa or Toronto could overtake them this year if things break right. Twins weren't supposed to have a chance at the Central going into last year. Seems like there's one surprise team every year in MLB.

Tampa possibly. Jays seem a year away...

2 hours ago, OaksterDan said:

Happ would be the Jays #2 SP.  Have you seen their rotation?

2 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Tampa possibly. Jays seem a year away...

Depends how aggressive they are with promoting Pearson and their young bats development. They wont "overtake" the Yankees with the weak SP, but possible they won't make things easy for the Rays/Yanks either.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Cheppy said:

Yankees didn’t have Severino last year and won the division. Yankees didn’t have Cole last year and won the division. They’ll win the division again with relative ease. To say the Jays might overtake them is beyond absurd. 

this. people saying otherwise are just wishful thinking yankee haters.  yanks will get paxton and german back in june as well.

11 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Happ would be the Jays #2 SP.  Have you seen their rotation?

plus i think Happ has a solid bounce back year.  he looked very good the last month or so.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

this. people saying otherwise are just wishful thinking yankee haters.  yanks will get paxton and german back in june as well.

plus i think Happ has a solid bounce back year.  he looked very good the last month or so.

Did you hear Mark Teixeira on Get Up on the sign stealing Astros, Pedro & Ortiz ?