NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Enes Kanter 2019-2020 Outlook

JormaJormala

6 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

Is it because of his poor defense? He is the best scorer of the bunch and an excellent rebounder.

Yeah that's primarily it, the other teams get him in the pick & roll and he cant slide his feet fast enough to keep up. He's a great offensive scorer on the low block though and gets a ton of rebs when he gets the opportunity.

• Thanks 1

Interesting, Kanter's looking more and more like a decent 12-team hold, perhaps for almost the ROS.

In the 8 games w/o Williams, he's ranked #95 (8th rd) in 9-cat. In 20 mpg, averaging 10-10 on 52% FG and 70% FT, a sprinkling of peripherals, and less than one TO.

Historically, the knock on him has been his IRL defense. Yet, since Williams went down, out of all Celtics playing at least 20 mpg - he has 2nd highest defensive rating and 2nd highest net rating. And is 1st in player impact estimate. I haven't watched enough Celtics games, but I imagine the CS is being smart in when and how to use Kanter.

William's estimated return is 2/1 on BBM. Even if he returns at that point, who knows what his playing time will be: how much ramping up will he need, will the Celts already be in a groove, etc. And I mostly doubt they'll trade for a big too, because of salary issues and b/c they're unwilling to trade any of their core players.

Honestly shaping up to be a good under-the-radar waiver pickup. I picked him up to stream but will hang on. He might produce a 15-minute dude here and there, but I'll drop only if he produces a string of bad games

Edited by hoop
  • Like 3

Overpowered the Hornets today with 13 pts (6/7 FG), 14 boards, 2 dimes, and 6 blocks

In the past 8 games, he's quietly produced 4th-round value. In 21.4 mpg, 11.5 pts (59.2% FG, 70.0% FT), 11.6 boards, 0.6 steals, 1.5 blocks

Good low-end big for 12-teamers and bigger, as long as he's this efficient

• Like 1

Anyone else think Kanter heard the criticism and is beginning to invest effort on the defensive side of the ball this year? I've watched a few Celtics games this year and his energy on that side of the ball seems different. Could just be wishful thinking, but I'm starting to think he may average 1-1.5 blocks so long as Robert Williams is sidelined (and maybe even once he returns). Boston is rolling and he is playing well ...interesting times ahead

1 hour ago, justaguy said:

Anyone else think Kanter heard the criticism and is beginning to invest effort on the defensive side of the ball this year? I've watched a few Celtics games this year and his energy on that side of the ball seems different. Could just be wishful thinking, but I'm starting to think he may average 1-1.5 blocks so long as Robert Williams is sidelined (and maybe even once he returns). Boston is rolling and he is playing well ...interesting times ahead

I think he just fits a little bit better in the Celtics system than he did in Portland and New York. Celtics are a really good defensive team so he gets some help from the wings and doesn't have as much responsibility down low. 

1 minute ago, MathieuVirtuoso said:

I think he just fits a little bit better in the Celtics system than he did in Portland and New York. Celtics are a really good defensive team so he gets some help from the wings and doesn't have as much responsibility down low. 

Exactly , he’s a real good fit for their offensive scheme. And defensively, on this particular team, he’s much harder to exploit. Let’s hope they increase his minutes , atleast until Williams is back. 

2 hours ago, justaguy said:

I don't know if it's the criticism as much as it is being part of a strong Celtics defensive system. And maybe that defensive energy rubbing off on him. I believe I notice the increased defensive energy as well, and maybe that's quantified with his good defensive rating this season.

He's still inherently bad on pnrs, but he's always been great with his hands and stripping the ball. That's where most of his blocks come have from. 1-1.5 blocks is wishful thinking imo, and I think .75 is optimistic. Happy to be surprised though. One of those players you just pick up and enjoy the ride

3 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

hes only played 5 minutes tonight? looks like he only has one foul. what gives?

they were roasting all the Celtics bigs in PnR, Boston had to go fully small just to compete, they didn’t have a real center in the last 6 7 min.

• Like 1

PJ and MURRAY shouldn't even be on your WW unless you're playing in a 8 to 10 league..

32 minutes ago, Jackdean33 said:

Is he a drop now?

Theis half injured and a blowout and still couldn’t even get 20 minutes. No shots pretty much or plays when on either...

Best players on the WW are guys like (but in a points league)  :

Dejounte Murray

PJ Washington

Troy Brown Jr

On 1/8/2020 at 8:23 PM, Jackdean33 said:

10 team H2H points league 

Washington you reckon for Kanter? 

note custom scoring has 5 for DD which helps Kanter too 

Depends what you want -- Enes has been super consistent for the most part (has a high floor and lower ceiling), while Washington is young and naturally his production is going to be more erratic (low floor high ceiling).  Long term Washington may be the better option if Celtics get more big men though.