NBC Sports Edge Forums

Richaun Holmes 2019-2020 Outlook

7 minutes ago, laurilegend said:

Holmes is a solid asset in 12 team leagues and for now even in 10 team leagues.  But the things he gives you as a PF/C eligible guy are FG%, FT%, rebounds and blocks with an occasional nice scoring night.  Solid, won't kill you in FT% which is nice for a big, but he's not going to give you any threes or many points.

Every team is unique your team for instance might be really strong in points and threes but weak in rebounds and FG% so Holmes has good value to balance out your squad.  

But then there are those rare guys, 1st rounders usually, that contribute above average relative to their position not just a few cats, but almost every cat. That is a guy like Towns.  Those guys are worth their weight in gold, especially if you like to stream, as you can always find a source of one category (say rebounds) for a night or two every week while relying on your big guns to clear the deck otherwise.

Roster spots have value and when you have a guy like Towns that basically is worth two top 50 centers that's another bonus.

I like this analysis dude, I made the trade for KAT cause I thought he was awesome and I really needed to open a flex spot. I felt that as good as my side of the deal was, KAT plus a flexible streaming slot would prove more valuable for me in the long run. My roster was full and I really didn't want to outright cut someone. Here's my roster post trade for context:

PG: Dame Lillard, Van Vleet, Smart

SG: JRich, Shai (SGA)

SF: Oubre, House

PF: Covington, PJ Washington 

Center: KAT, Turner, Ayton

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, AstroWorld said:

I like this analysis dude, I made the trade for KAT cause I thought he was awesome and I really needed to open a flex spot. I felt that as good as my side of the deal was, KAT plus a flexible streaming slot would prove more valuable for me in the long run. My roster was full and I really didn't want to outright cut someone. Here's my roster post trade for context:

PG: Dame Lillard, Van Vleet, Smart

SG: JRich, Shai (SGA)

SF: Oubre, House

PF: Covington, PJ Washington 

Center: KAT, Turner, Ayton

Really cool story but this is the Richaun 3th Round Holmes thread. Please take this to reddit and ask people how awesome your lineup is.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
On 10/30/2019 at 1:15 AM, Bringthesonicsback said:

just to keep this hype beast rolling 

the last time holmes meaningful minutes was in 2016-17 where he finished with the stat line below

20.9 4.0 7.2 .558 0.5 1.4 .351 3.6 5.9 .606 .591 1.3 1.8 .699 1.6 3.8 5.5 1.0 0.7 1.0 1.0 2.4 9.8

that was good for player rank #90 on the season. in 21 minutes per game...

but wait there's more.... if you take a look at his final 24 games that season, where he got the most run he's seen in his career, you get this stat line...

m/g p/g 3/g r/g a/g s/g b/g fg% fga/g ft% fta/g to/
27.4 13.9 0.8 7.0 1.3 1.0 1.0 .575 10.0 .784 2.1 1.2

thats good for 3th round value as player rank #33

Luke hinting at a possible change in the starting lineup, Dedmon playing like absolute trash, Holmes looking more polished offensively, the track record of being able to produce early round value when given the opportunity.. theres a lot to be excited about with this dude. KEEP THE WHEELS OF THIS TRAIN TUUUUUUURNIN BOYS

This one started it all. 3th round value, ftw.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, BringVancouverBack said:

What is everyone doing with the Bagley update? Still a hold?

Wondering this as well. Have some injuries now in my shallow league and see Holmes is still available.

Feel like he’s a lock at C, and was already a low usage player to begin with.

41 minutes ago, RLDN106 said:

Wondering this as well. Have some injuries now in my shallow league and see Holmes is still available.

Feel like he’s a lock at C, and was already a low usage player to begin with.

I’ve been reading that Bjelica would be most affected but with Walton who knows. I guess I’ll wait until Bagley returns to see

9 minutes ago, BringVancouverBack said:

I’ve been reading that Bjelica would be most affected but with Walton who knows. I guess I’ll wait until Bagley returns to see

Which would make sense -- Holmes plays primarily at the 5 and Bagley at the 4. Bjelica would lose a lot of his minutes at the 4.
But Walton can be a headache, especially with Centers (that Lakers' timeshare was a disaster), so I'm with you on being hesitant.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RLDN106 said:

Which would make sense -- Holmes plays primarily at the 5 and Bagley at the 4. Bjelica would lose a lot of his minutes at the 4.
But Walton can be a headache, especially with Centers (that Lakers' timeshare was a disaster), so I'm with you on being hesitant.

That is what I heard but basketball wise It does not make much sense. Bagley plays 4 but he needs the lane to opperate well. His 3 is still in progress. Bjelica might actually be a better fit for him to play next to then holmes who will clog up the lane.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, KellyOubre4MVP said:

Would anyone consider homes a sell high at this point? And if so, what kind of value would you be looking for 

you could argue he's more of a buy low, everyone is freaking out about Bagley returning and tanking his value but he's simply playing too well to keep off the floor. Bagley will hurt Bjelica significantly but Holmes will still hold down that 5 spot

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, doomz said:

And even if they had him come off the bench he'd carve out a nice 25/30 mins role à la Montrezl,  slaughtering bench lineups.

and run Bagley at the C? thats the only scenario where that happens because Dedmon sure as hell isn't stealing 3th's spot as the starter

his value isn't tied to usage. hes 12/10 on good % low t/o and decent stocks last 2 weeks. that doesn't seem crazy or unsustainable (even with a slight decrease). you might also see a spike in stocks if he is limited to lesser min.role as he can exert more energy and effort. (I did try packaging holmes and whitside 4 gobert today that was rejected. more to do with holmes being my 5th center than holmes value ROS)

Richaun has always been a great producer when given mins. Once bagley comes back his minutes will surely dip so he is definitely a sell high right now. But he might still be worth keeping since he will produce. He is not seen as sacramentos future but he will always be a guy who delivers when given minutes.

• Like 1

I can't think of a 2 center lineup in modern nba existence that has worked... can you? Sabonis and Turner don't count since Turner can spread the floor. AD and dwight don't count since AD can shoot. Holmes only hope of not regressing is if bagley starts taking more 3s, and makes them at a decent enough rate. Its possible but bjelica is the better team fit unless Holmes time shares with bagley and hurts bagleys value. Maybe they can both be on the floor together but from what the modern nba has taught is the past few years is that 2 pf/c where one can't shoot 3s simply isn't efficient and never works. Sell high. 

Edited by johnval1362
2 minutes ago, johnval1362 said:

I can't think of a 2 center lineup in modern nba existence that has worked... can you? Sabonis and Turner don't count since Turner can spread the floor. AD and dwight don't count since AD can shoot. Holmes only hope of not regressing is if bagley starts taking more 3s, and makes them at a decent enough rate. Its possible but bjelica is the better team fit unless Holmes time shares with bagley and hurts bagleys value. Maybe they can both be on the floor together but from what the modern nba has taught is the past few years is that 2 pf/c where one can't shoot 3s simply isn't efficient and never works. Sell high. 

That was the reason why the kings signed Dedmon for his outside shooting.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

That was the reason why the kings signed Dedmon for his outside shooting.

This is true. Dedmon was a 1-1-1 guy last year.

Do we think the reason he’s not getting minutes is Holmes’ play, Walton’s ineptitude, or him just being washed?
If it’s the later, Holmes won’t have to worry about him stealing mins. Even if it’s on Walton, I doubt he figures that out.

Edited by RLDN106
8 minutes ago, RLDN106 said:

Do we think the reason he’s not getting minutes is Holmes’ play, Walton’s ineptitude, or him just being washed?
If it’s the later, Holmes won’t have to worry about him stealing mins. Even if it’s on Walton, I doubt he figures that out.

Dedmon had a slow start and with Bagley's injury, they used Bjelica who can stretch the floor along with Holmes. It'll be interesting what Luke decides to do once Bagley returns. Does he return to Dedmon with Bagley or stick with the starting lineup with Holmes/Bjelica who have been playing well. 

FWIW bagley shot 31% from 3 last season on 90+ attempts

Edited by DezedandConfused
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, RLDN106 said:

Dedmons not playing because bjelica is a better fit. 

I think most of you guys are forgetting that there are two parts to this game we call basketball, offense and DEFENSE. 3th round is the best defensive player on the team, they can afford a small hit in offensive efficiency when that means having Richaun playing D instead of Bjelica.

https://stats.nba.com/players/defense/?sort=DEF_WS&dir=-1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular Season&TeamID=1610612758

And I've said it before but I'll say it again MB3 shot 31% from deep last season on 1.5 attempts per game. And as someone who also owns Bagley I can only assume he's been practicing his 3 ball all summer long and is going to pretty much be the 6'11 Steph curry when he returns.

• Like 1