NBC Sports Edge Forums

2019-2020 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

3 minutes ago, Topgun said:

I hope so, could he also slot in a corner OF position?

Yep.

Interestingly, Franco’s addition would seemingly hint at a position switch for Hunter Dozier, who played 100 of his 139 games at the hot corner last season.  MLB.com’s Jeffrey Flanagan tweets that Dozier will move to right field, with Whit Merrifield moving to center field.  That would also seem to indicate that Jorge Soler is primed to spend much of his time as a DH next year, though Dozier also has experience playing first base.  (There’s also the possibility of a Soler trade, though the most recent reports suggest the Royals are more likely to hang onto Soler.)  Dozier was bound to remain a regular part of Kansas City’s lineup in the wake of his impressive 2019 season, though since he didn’t exhibit much glovework at third base, the Royals could now shift Dozier around between first base, right field, and DH.

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Pitchers and Catchers Report Day to all! Not sure if this is the place to put this, but indulge me for a few minutes if you feel like it. I have to admit this is the fourth year I've gotten sent

Michael Schur, creator of Parks & Rec and The Good Place, blasts one into the bleachers: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1224882392369786880.html?refreshed=yes  

FASTBALL:     CURVE:       CHANGE:        

Posted Images

13 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Okay if I was Ellsbury I'd be ashamed to go after ANY money "owed" me.  What a crazy, greedy, legalistic world we live in.

Also.  With Franco to KC I guess Dozier goes to 1B full time now.

That is on the Yankees for signing that deal. If the system didn't under-pay youth. You wouldn't have teams throwing stupid money at declining players. That simple.

Dozier to play OF. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

I hate my team's ownership.  The tribe should be gunning for that division while they still can

It's a disgrace. Look at the non-tender list of corner OFs that could be had for super-cheap. Domingo Santana would start in RF opening day with the current roster. Villar could have been had for $10M. Boom, 2B solved. They are not high-priced moves away from being division favorites. Now it looks more like they're tearing down. This has been infuriating.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, TribeFoo said:

It's a disgrace. Look at the non-tender list of corner OFs that could be had for super-cheap. Domingo Santana would start in RF opening day with the current roster. Villar could have been had for $10M. Boom, 2B solved. They are not high-priced moves away from being division favorites. Now it looks more like they're tearing down. This has been infuriating.

They need to get some counsel from Jobu.

• Like 1

I have no problem with the list of none tendered players. Why pay 10, when you can get someone else for 5 ? It's not our place to tell teams how to spend there money, just my opinion.

9 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Keuchel to the White Sox on a 3-year deal.

More details:

Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that the White Sox have agreed to a contract with free agent southpaw Dallas Keuchel.

Jon Heyman of MLB Network adds that it'll be a three-year pact for $55.5 million. The deal also includes a vesting option for a fourth season that could bring the total contract to $74 million. He'll slot in behind Lucas Giolito atop the White Sox rotation and should provide valuable leadership for their young staff. For fantasy purposes, the move back to the American League and the new home ballpark aren't ideal, but those factors are mitigated when you consider how often he'll feast on the Tigers and Royals.

Source: Jeff Passan on Twitter                Dec 21, 2019, 8:13 PM ET

• Like 1

Nice job Sox! 

Its not like they were going to get Cole or Stras, so this is the tier they were aiming for. They've still got some $ to burn, but I think Dallas' style of pitching will work well at The Cell II.

53 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

My Angels really need pitching, but glad they didn't sign him for 4 years. 

It's a bit much, but even 4/80 would have made a lot of sense for the Angels. I hope they can find some pitching via trade. If my Sox can't do it, I'd love to see Trout and Co. reach the promised land.

• Like 1
On 12/19/2019 at 4:27 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Okay if I was Ellsbury I'd be ashamed to go after ANY money "owed" me.  What a crazy, greedy, legalistic world we live in

I 100% agree that this is a greedy, legalistic move. But that describes what the Yankees are doing, not Ellsbury.

I mean wtf? You'd be ashamed to try to get the money that the team is contractually obligated to pay you? 

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, cs3 said:

I 100% agree that this is a greedy, legalistic move. But that describes what the Yankees are doing, not Ellsbury.

I mean wtf? You'd be ashamed to try to get the money that the team is contractually obligated to pay you? 

Yeah if I was Ellsbury and did diddly all these years I would be.  They contracted you to play ball not to sit back and collect loot for not playing.  You are a multi millionaire with enough money for the rest of your life and several generations into the future.  Don't get freaking greedy over legal junk.  Have some basic personal honor.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

Ellsbury was way underpaid during his team control and arb years with the Red Sox. MLB’s system screws over younger players and then overpays them if/when they make it to free agency.

But this case isn’t really about that anyway. It’s about how much control a team should have over a player’s medical care. The MLBPA needs to fight it to avoid establishing a bad precedent of teams ripping up contracts, regardless of what Ellsbury did or didn’t do on the field.

• Like 1

CBS is saying EE is signing with the ChiSox but I haven't seen that on mlbtraderumors yet. Apparently it was a tweet from EE signing it will official after the holidays. 

Let it be true!

4 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

CBS is saying EE is signing with the ChiSox but I haven't seen that on mlbtraderumors yet. Apparently it was a tweet from EE signing it will official after the holidays. 

Let it be true!

Done deal. Nice.