NBC Sports Edge Forums

2019-2020 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Pitchers and Catchers Report Day to all! Not sure if this is the place to put this, but indulge me for a few minutes if you feel like it. I have to admit this is the fourth year I've gotten sent

Michael Schur, creator of Parks & Rec and The Good Place, blasts one into the bleachers: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1224882392369786880.html?refreshed=yes  

FASTBALL:     CURVE:       CHANGE:        

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

done deal. Marte to DBacks.

OF of Calhoun, Marte, Peralta.

DBacks now have 2 Marte, along with Ketel, who now goes to 2B?

Would assume Ketel will be the full time 2B going forward. The question is what happens next. Eduardo Escobar probably splits between SS (at expense of Nick Ahmed) and 3B against LHP (with Lamb moving to bench).

Overall, this is good news for Ketel owners in dynasty leagues who might have been worried about losing 2B eligibility, and even better news for Eduardo Escobar who should have a great shot at regaining SS eligibility this year.

10 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I know Malone--the young pitcher PIT got has some nice potential, and I know very little about the other piece...but jeez that feels light for a few years of Marte at that price?

Peguero is intresting. So they got 2 upside plays here

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

its the pirates, remember Glasnow and Cole? yeaaaaa this team aint got a clue how to evaluate talent hah but hey guess they loved Chris Archer!

cmline complains about the Mariners and I know they are bad but just try being a Pirates fan ... my god they suck!

• Haha 6
5 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

its the pirates, remember Glasnow and Cole? yeaaaaa this team aint got a clue how to evaluate talent hah but hey guess they loved Chris Archer!

Don't forget they also traded away Austin Meadows in that Archer deal.  He will be an all-star for years to come.  Also Shane Baz is a damn good pitching prospect that also went in that deal.

1 minute ago, Sidearmer said:

Overall, this is good news for Ketel owners in dynasty leagues who might have been worried about losing 2B eligibility, and even better news for Eduardo Escobar who should have a great shot at regaining SS eligibility this year.

Actually the one league I own him in he is my CF since I have two good 2B but no other real option for CF.  So hopefully Starling will get at least 5 days off this season with Ketel back in CF for those days, hah.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Would assume Ketel will be the full time 2B going forward. The question is what happens next. Eduardo Escobar probably splits between SS (at expense of Nick Ahmed) and 3B against LHP (with Lamb moving to bench).

Oh yes, and I have both Ketel and Eduardo.

2 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Story signs two year extension buying out his final years of arbitration. 2 years 27.5m seems like a bargain.

I agree for two years it does sound low given Mookie got 27 mil for one year and Story put up the numbers last year to be near or in his stat league.

2 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

Really weird hire by an analytically driven organization. This must be all about rebuilding reputation.

Really weird,  PR or not.  What happens when he starts to buck the analytic guys? 

17 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Really weird,  PR or not.  What happens when he starts to buck the analytic guys? 

Yup. I personally did not believe the Astros will over come whats gonna go down in the 2020 season. My belief in that prediction grew stronger with this hire.

Oh snap.  Rotoworld Guy go a little sarcasm into this one:

Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that the Cubs have signed reliever Jeremy Jeffress to a one-year, $850,000 contract.

Welcome to the Hot Stove, Cubs. Better late than never. Jeffress could earn an additional $200,000 based on appearances. Jeffress dealt with hip and shoulder issues last season while struggling to the tune of a 5.02 ERA over 48 appearances and was eventually released in September. Still, he has a track record of success and makes sense as a buy-low candidate given the available options at this stage of free agency.

Source: Jeff Passan on Twitter                     Jan 28, 2020, 12:35 PM ET

Dusty Baker managing the Astros?  I know they were being punished but by this much?  Haha.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, WahooManiac said:

Not weird at all. Houston is hated right now. But who can hate a smiling Dusty Baker? 

No one, that's who. 

5 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Not weird at all. Houston is hated right now. But who can hate a smiling Dusty Baker? 

No one, that's who. 

I can. Easily.  And im a Tribe fan

• Like 1

the Nationals traded for Harper. it's true.not Bryce, Ryne.

he should wear number 34.

Nationals acquired RHP Ryne Harper from the Twins for RHP Hunter McMahon.

Harper was designated for assignment last week to open up a 40-man roster spot for new third baseman Josh Donaldson. The 30-year-old right-hander posted a respectable 3.81 ERA, 1.178 WHIP, and 50/10 K/BB ratio over 54 1/3 innings last season with Minnesota and should have a shot at claiming a spot in the Opening Day bullpen in Washington. McMahon, 21, was a ninth-round pick in the 2019 MLB Draft.

Anyone else surprised Taijuan Walker hasn’t signed?  Young arm, has a new wheel.  Career era under 4, shown good stuff and command.  Seems like a guy teams would be lining up to buy low on for an upside guy to fill out back end of a rotation.  Mariners couldn’t wait to sign moribund LOSERS like Kendall “3.5 K Per 9” Graveman, but Walker still waiting for a home.  Seems strange.

• Like 2