NBC Sports Edge Forums

2019-2020 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

25 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Dodgers send out Verdugo and Maeda, receive back Betts/Price.

Red Sox send out Price/Betts, receive Verdugo/Graterol

Twins send out Graterol, get back Maeda

Separate trade The Dodgers trade Pederson for Rengifo from the Angels.

Well summarized.  Thanks.

Now to find out how much of the Price contract Sox still have to pay.  And if there are any low level throw ins along the way.  Anyway I am dancing the happy dance.  Liking it a lot.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Jeff Passan confirms that the Dodgers are acquiring Mookie Betts and David Price from the Red Sox.

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic adds that the Dodgers are sending starter Kenta Maeda to the Twins and that pitching prospect Brusdar Graterol will go from Minnesota to Boston. Los Angeles will move young outfielder Alex Verdugo to the Red Sox in what currently stands as a three-team, five-player swap. Joc Pederson is being sent to the Angels for infielder Luis Rengifo, though that is a seperate trade. Medical records are being exchanged, and this could all be made official by the end of the night Tuesday.

Source: Jeff Passan on Twitter         Feb 4, 2020, 9:12 PM ET

Alex Speier should get some credit here too.  He has the best sources with the Sox and was a little ahead of these other guys.  You want Sox info he is the guy to follow.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Pitchers and Catchers Report Day to all! Not sure if this is the place to put this, but indulge me for a few minutes if you feel like it. I have to admit this is the fourth year I've gotten sent

Michael Schur, creator of Parks & Rec and The Good Place, blasts one into the bleachers: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1224882392369786880.html?refreshed=yes  

FASTBALL:     CURVE:       CHANGE:        

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Great trade for Fantasy.  Price, Maeda, Verdugo stocks have all raised. Betts can't go down too much. Dodgers LU is just as loaded. Dunno what to make for Pederson.

Well put.  And yeah is San Diego back into collecting zillions of outfielders again?

11 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well put.  And yeah is San Diego back into collecting zillions of outfielders again?

Pederson went to the Angels.  Pretty much guarantee to start again RHP.  Jo Adell, slightly blocked now. But once he's ready I'm sure they'll find room.

29 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

The twins wanting Maeda over Gaterol is interesting.

Guessing they think he'll never develop into a starter. Maeda I think is underrated. I would probably gamble and see what Graterol could do, but it's not terrible.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

So dodgers do mind getting fisted again by the red sox. They love it so much even them cheating in 2018 that potentially cost the dodgers a world series championship they had to come back for more fisting fun. Disgraceful.

What are you guys talking about? Verdugo was excess depth to them. All they really gave up here was $$$ and swap Madea for Price. It sounds like between trading Pederson and asking for a percentage of price's salary paid. They could still stay under the luxury tax.

• Like 4

Uh, yeah.  Verdugo is... fine?  But he's no Mookie.  Graterol is a nice get for the long term, but watching a division rival squander a legit chance to contend now in the name of financial flexibility is cause for celebration.

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

I'm not saying the Dodgers got fleeced or anything.  But the Red Sox benefit way more in this.  As a Yankees fan I absolutely hate it.

Losing their best player and 3rd best pitcher to get enough salary cap to overpay someone else in free agency while Good their assets decline in value for wasting a year seems terrible to me. Don't know why dodgers had to include Pages but everything else seems great. Kept their best assets too 

6 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Uh, yeah.  Verdugo is... fine?  But he's no Mookie.  Graterol is a nice get for the long term, but watching a division rival squander a legit chance to contend now in the name of financial flexibility is cause for celebration.

Red Sox had a legit chance to contend in 2020?  No.  They were an extreme longshot to contend with their pitching the way it is.

Price is their 3rd best pitcher... exactly.  He's thrown 108 innings once in the last 3 years.  34 years old, can't stay healthy and owed $32M/yr for the next 3 years.  Yea I don't want them getting salary relief from that.  Mookie has 1 year left before becoming a FA and they weren't going to compete.

11 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Losing their best player and 3rd best pitcher to get enough salary cap to overpay someone else in free agency while Good their assets decline in value for wasting a year seems terrible to me. Don't know why dodgers had to include Pages but everything else seems great. Kept their best assets too 

I'm not sure Pages?   What assets decline in value just the team morale?

6 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

I'm not sure Pages?   What assets decline in value just the team morale?

Giving up a year while Sale is still elite or borderline elite all their elite bats who have team friendly deals. They are giving up a year while they have good players. Assuming they are competing in 2021, all their assets are one year less valuable. People don't seem to get that. Rafael Devers is getting paid under 600k next year. That's an insane amount of surplus value. It's meaningless because they aren't contending. Having an elite player for cheap is only valuable if you supplant it with pieces to try and win. If Sale is elite in 2020 and then gets hurt in 2021 that sets them back a lot more too. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
1 hour ago, MrBrown said:

Dodgers are so dumb.  Red Sox made out great on this one.  They're bailed out by LA again.

35 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

I'm not saying the Dodgers got fleeced or anything.  But the Red Sox benefit way more in this.  As a Yankees fan I absolutely hate it.

wat

I can't make sense of anything you said. I feel like you're purposely stating the opposite of what's obviously true 

1 hour ago, murraygd13 said:

Pederson went to the Angels.  Pretty much guarantee to start again RHP.  Jo Adell, slightly blocked now. But once he's ready I'm sure they'll find room.

Me bad.  I always mix those two teams up.  Not because both are in southern California.  But because each year they are like Lucy treating their fans like Charlie Brown.  Every year this is going to be their big move then poof, nothing again.

1 hour ago, MrBrown said:

Dodgers are so dumb.  Red Sox made out great on this one.  They're bailed out by LA again.

Dodgers earning more good karma with another bail-out.  Bless their little hearts.  Remind me to send them a thank you note.

16 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Best player?  Again, last year Mookie was only their 4th best hitter.  He looked lost at the plate at times and started chasing balls out of the zone.  After watching tons of games with Mookie over these years I am flat out saying 2019 was more the real Betts and 2018 more the outlier.  I'm sure he will help the Dodgers but he is no Mike Trout tier.

6 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Red Sox had a legit chance to contend in 2020?  No.  They were an extreme longshot to contend with their pitching the way it is.

So they could have... added a pitcher, and kept Betts.  Price's contract goes off the books in a couple of years, JDM is done after next season...  The salary relief was coming naturally.  They're a big market team with filthy rich ownership that could have easily contended now *and* later.

3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Best player?  Again, last year Mookie was only their 4th best hitter. 

As discussed here and here, "4th best hitter" is an extremely misleading statement.  The differences between their top hitters are basically rounding errors.  They're all elites, and any of them in a single season could have been first or fourth.

• Like 2