NBC Sports Edge Forums

2019-2020 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

39 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

No Minnesota thought eventually they would turn him into a starter too though not this year.  Boston saw something in his medical folder that lead them to believe that would never happen.

Yeah OK, Minnesota totally believed he was a starter and the genius Red Sox discovered he wasn't after looking at medical records. Must have been a coincidence and not Minnesota trying to sell damaged goods . Kind of think he thought Graterol was a high upside starter who has already touched the majors, they wouldn't be trading him.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Pitchers and Catchers Report Day to all! Not sure if this is the place to put this, but indulge me for a few minutes if you feel like it. I have to admit this is the fourth year I've gotten sent

Michael Schur, creator of Parks & Rec and The Good Place, blasts one into the bleachers: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1224882392369786880.html?refreshed=yes  

FASTBALL:     CURVE:       CHANGE:        

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Slatykamora said:

They were planning on keeping him in the BP next year before the trade. Where he is only throwing his FB/SL exclusively. If they wanted to mold him as a starter. He wouldn't be ditching his change up.

LOL.  No team in baseball, not even the Red Sox, are that stupid.  I said they knew Minnesota was keeping him a s a bull pen guy this season since the Twins even officially announced it, duh.  Everyone in baseball knew that.  Everyone on this forum knew that.

But Minnesota also has stated that they hope to turn him into a starter.  This season they have enough starters under contract even without Maeda to not need Brusdar in the rotation.  But in the future they said they wanted him to start. 

He doesn't need his change in the bull pen.  Most relievers don't go fancy with what they throw for an inning.  They go with their two top pitches usually.  He would have to work on his third pitch, his change, more in side sessions.  He isn't ditching other pitches forever.  He was going to pitch in "reliever" mode is all.  This is not rocket science.

There are either alot of spoiled Boston fans, or alot of Boston haters out there?

I'm neither btw.

Only team with 4 titles in the last 16 years.

It's easy to spend other peoples money (owners), when you aren't writing the check.

I'm not saying Boston makes the playoffs. But it's still a possibility, if Oakland, Cleveland, TB stumble at all.

In 95, Seattle lost Griffey for 90 games, and still made playoffs.

In 2001, after Griffey and Arod left, the team won a record 116.

Last year Nats won without Harper.

I'm just saying. Dont be crying yet. Sometimes strange things happen.

The crying would be to keep Betts all year, and not win.

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, jb_power said:

Red Sox appear to have regrets for trading for a SP turned RP with medical issue(s) and a mediocre OF with back issues

Red Sox really like Verdugo.  Minnesota medicals show an issue.  Verdugo's LA ones came back clean.  So what are you even talking about?  And since when is a guy that projects as a Dwight Evans style right fielder type mediocre?  Hahaha!!

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

I would much rather see the Red Sox being ball busters like this than how Dombrowski handled the Pomeranz situation when after finding out medical issues weren't disclosed he just rolled over and accepted the deal as is.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Red Sox really like Verdugo.  Minnesota medicals show an issue.  Verdugo's LA ones came back clean.  So what are you even talking about?  And since when is a guy that projects as a Dwight Evans style right fielder type mediocre?  Hahaha!!

I was reading he has had some “off the field” issues. 

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

As long as they are not Puig level or involve domestic violence then what is the problem?  Do you know these issues as a fact and not a rumor?  If so what are the facts about them?

Dodgers minor league players Alex Verdugo, James Baldwin and Julio Urias, were preparing for the regular season with the Dodgers at Camelback Ranch, the team’s spring training facility. Verdugo and Baldwin partied with the women at a Hampton Inn near the stadium, including the one who was underage. 

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2020/2/6/21124292/red-sox-dodgers-alex-verdugo-the-unspoken-problem-with-the-mookie-betts-david-price-trade 

Another  Mar 1, 2019, 6:00am PST

reed with me that Verdugo being yet another left-handed outfielder could make it tough for him to find a spot. “There have been makeup concerns about Verdugo for a while and I am hearing that more and more because the Dodgers have been willing to discuss him in just about every significant trade recently,” Law said, “I think it is less about what is going to be on the field but they have concerns about him off the field.”

• Haha 1

Thanks.  I'm all against sexual assault 100% but sounds like Verdugo didn't do it.  May have witnessed something at the very end of whatever it was (seems to be another player fondled her breasts) but was probably too drunk to make head nor tail out of what was happening.  They all are painted as dead drunk at that point.  Legally he should have done something under Arizona law though the guy involved seemed to be stopping his fondling just when all the the other people arrived in the room.  Sounds like a teaching moment for Mr Verdugo but not some career ender. 

The woman involved does not accuse him of assault of any kind at all and he didn't lay a hand on her.  But Arizona law apparently requires anyone witnessing even a second of one to intervene immediately and apparently no one it that drunken group did or seemed to even know really what they had witnessed.  But if he hasn't learned he should have recognized what was going on and he should have done something immediately and has another incident of momentary inaction then the Sox will kick his butt out the door if for no other reason then this area is activist and won't tolerate such things.

9 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

[Sketchy "Arenado to White Sox" Twitter rumors removed.  An unverified Twitter account with 4k followers doesn't meet the reasonable threshold for credibility.]

I didnt even know this was a thing until I read this. It still made me "dream the impossible dream". 

• Haha 2

no idea how anyone can defend this front office now, they seem pretty clueless about direction and prospect value at the moment. Disturbing.

honestly feels like with Graterol he’s that owner in your dynasty league first year player draft who looks at prospects only the day of. “Brusdar Graterol! Look at that fast ball ! He’s mine!” Five minutes after the pick  From the rest of the league .“you got a nice reliever there”. Owner Of team “damn! I mean.... you’ll see !”

replacement owner joins your dynasty league . Rest of league “wow you got a great team “. New owner “ I’m looking to rebuild !!!!”

• Like 2

Red Sox trying to take the most incompetent organization award away from the Rockies.

Rockies scrambling to bring back Jeff Cirillo and Nefei Perez to take away playing time from Arenado and Story to preserve the title

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Man, the Red Sox are clueless. 

Why.  That was a false rumor.

The Twins may still be willing to re-work their trade of Brusdar Grateral in a three-team swap with the Dodgers and Red Sox.

But even if the Twins wuss out the Dodgers want it done.  It's the Twins who would end up the losers.  They won't get Maeda.

I think a deal is still likely because the Dodgers have so much surplus assets honestly.  Red Sox leaking the trade and hearing everyone thinks this is terrible is helpful to them, they will probably get a slightly better deal.  It's still only a tactic for terribly run teams/fantasy owners do. 

Someone else should step in and undercut the Dodgers, but everyone is terrified of a 3/48 David Price deal, so I think thats why they still end up in LA.  Pretty embarrassing to have Betts/Price come to camp at this point.

7 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I think a deal is still likely because the Dodgers have so much surplus assets honestly.  Red Sox leaking the trade and hearing everyone thinks this is terrible is helpful to them, they will probably get a slightly better deal.  Someone else should step in and undercut the Dodgers, but everyone is terrified of a 3/48 David Price deal. 

Agreed.

It's difficult to get really good prospects included when the other team is having to take on Price.