NBC Sports Edge Forums

2019-2020 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

4 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

For what it's worth @The Big Bat Theory, I like Connor Wong a little bit too. Own him in a dynasty league or two. He strikes out a little too much, but potentially their catcher of the future who hit AA last year.

Cool.  Thanks for update.  Really liking this trade for Boston.  You guys enjoy Mookie this year.

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Pitchers and Catchers Report Day to all! Not sure if this is the place to put this, but indulge me for a few minutes if you feel like it. I have to admit this is the fourth year I've gotten sent

Michael Schur, creator of Parks & Rec and The Good Place, blasts one into the bleachers: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1224882392369786880.html?refreshed=yes  

FASTBALL:     CURVE:       CHANGE:        

Posted Images

Connor Wong has started a total of 176 games at Catcher and turning 24 this May. He has played at 2B and 3B but doesn't play any of these positions particularly well.  He does have a lot of life in his bat so can contribute a lot offensively.  Anyone claiming he's the Sox "catcher of the future' I doubt it.

35 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Connor Wong has started a total of 176 games at Catcher and turning 24 this May. He has played at 2B and 3B but doesn't play any of these positions particularly well.  He does have a lot of life in his bat so can contribute a lot offensively.  Anyone claiming he's the Sox "catcher of the future' I doubt it.

Well he's their best catching prospect. Perhaps with an automated strike zone system, offensive catching with thrive in the future too. I like him.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Well he's their best catching prospect. Perhaps with an automated strike zone system, offensive catching with thrive in the future too. I like him.

Smith is young as the starter now and I have always seen Ruiz and Cartaya ahead of Wong in the minors pecking order.

7 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Smith is young as the starter now and I have always seen Ruiz and Cartaya ahead of Wong in the minors pecking order.

Well Cartaya is the farthest away by far. I agree with you on Ruiz and Smith, thats why he was very expendable for the Dodgers and unless the Red Sox get a major league catcher from somewhere else, I wouldn't be surprised to see Wong starting games for them in 2021. I personally don't think Vazquez is that good, he overachieved as a hitter last year for me. If Wong takes a step forward in his development, I think he's a great throw in.

6 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Terrible. Really wanted my Angels to acquire those two guys. 

The whole fantasy community wanted to set Stripling free. Hopefully there's a future trade.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, sagrim said:

Well I got to say the Dodgers are having an interesting weekend.   😅

If it was the Angels that blew this one up because of mere impatience -- and that is just a rumor so I don't say that is necessarily true -- then I feel sorry for Angel fans. They had gotten players, especially Stripling, they could have really use this season.

If the other rumor of the Dodgers taking a different path is correct I have absolutely no explanation for that one as it makes no sense at all.

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Well Cartaya is the farthest away by far. I agree with you on Ruiz and Smith, thats why he was very expendable for the Dodgers and unless the Red Sox get a major league catcher from somewhere else, I wouldn't be surprised to see Wong starting games for them in 2021. I personally don't think Vazquez is that good, he overachieved as a hitter last year for me. If Wong takes a step forward in his development, I think he's a great throw in.

As a Sox fan I'm glad to hear all these good things about Wong.  But he won;t be the starter as early as 2021 for several reasons.

1. Vasquez did change his swing and he looks totally legit with his bat now.  He is also a good catcher defensively as well and a great throwing arm.

2. Vasquez is under contract through 2021 with a club option on 2022.

If Wong is who you say he is then I see Wong moving up to the majors when ready.  It that is next year then he would most likely be the back-up for at least 2021 then either platooning with or succeeding Vasquez later.

My question to you or anyone is what is his ETA to reach the majors?

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

As a Sox fan I'm glad to hear all these good things about Wong.  But he won;t be the starter as early as 2021 for several reasons.

1. Vasquez did change his swing and he looks totally legit with his bat now.  He is also a good catcher defensively as well and a great throwing arm.

2. Vasquez is under contract through 2021 with a club option on 2022.

If Wong is who you say he is then I see Wong moving up to the majors when ready.  It that is next year then he would most likely be the back-up for at least 2021 then either platooning with or succeeding Vasquez later.

My question to you or anyone is what is his ETA to reach the majors?

Probably 2021. He's not a a sure thing to start at catcher, I just like him. He's a guy I've monitored for a few years in dynasty. He's a solid throw in the Dodgers should feel fine giving away because of their depth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

The trade made no sense to me. Stripling I think is worth more equal to Maeda. And then Joc was a monster vs righties, granted it's a contract year. Not sure they needed to be in a salary dump for Rengifo unless they projected him as great.

3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Or how badly the Dodgers either misread Graterol or wanted to dump Maeda's contract.  🙂

This was from a Boston Globe employee. Maeda makes barely any money 😂😂

I think part of the reason traded was because Dodgers kept manipulating his innings because they had so many options and it saved them money. He complained enough so they probably wanted to accommodate him. He's pretty good.

Just now, brockpapersizer said:

This was from a Boston Globe employee. Maeda makes barely any money 😂😂

There are some people in Boston that hate losing Mookie so they will jump on anything.  Sox have had enough problems with pitchers having arm problems last season. Don't need another one.

1 hour ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

But has to be good news for Adell right? At least he probably has a better shot at making some kind of impact this year

Edited by cs3
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, OaksterDan said:

"Non-Boston docs seem to have no big issue with Graterol meds."

You don't say!

The only non-Boston docs that saw it was Minnesota (who was trying to trade him) and the Dodgers (who were trying to dump Maedas contract to get Mookie). So that really means nothing.

Word is Dodgers will use Graterol in the bullpen... Hmm... MLB teams sure love stashing high end starters in the bullpen all of a sudden! LOL

47 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

The only non-Boston docs that saw it was Minnesota (who was trying to trade him) and the Dodgers (who were trying to dump Maedas contract to get Mookie). So that really means nothing.

Word is Dodgers will use Graterol in the bullpen... Hmm... MLB teams sure love stashing high end starters in the bullpen all of a sudden! LOL

who ever thought he was a high end starter (other than, for some unknown reason, the Red Sox FO)?

2 hours ago, StevieStats said:

Maedas contract was for 12 million 4/years , it wasn't a dump, it's actually an asset. He's worth close to 12 million for one year alone.

Dodgers actually could use a reliever and I think Maeda was annoyed at not being used as a starter, so they kind of were trying to accommodate him and get value.

I think he's probably a releiver and a good one. Got basically a similar return to what Cleveland got for Kluber, with maybe some more upside. Will be under control for 6 years.

@OaksterDan for what it's worth Baseball HQs minor league analyst projects him as a #2 starter. 

• Like 2