NBC Sports Edge Forums

2019-2020 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Pitchers and Catchers Report Day to all! Not sure if this is the place to put this, but indulge me for a few minutes if you feel like it. I have to admit this is the fourth year I've gotten sent

Michael Schur, creator of Parks & Rec and The Good Place, blasts one into the bleachers: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1224882392369786880.html?refreshed=yes  

FASTBALL:     CURVE:       CHANGE:        

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Moustakis signs for four years with the Reds. Four years seems like a lot when you want him to play second base.

Yeah strange.

Also in the news today the endlessly disappointing Mr Profar is on the move again:

Robert Murray reports that the Padres have acquired INF Jurickson Profar from the Athletics.

Jeff Passan of ESPN adds that the A's will receive catcher Austin Allen and a player to be named later. The Athletics have been shopping Profar of late and he has a history with Padres GM A.J. Preller from their days with the Rangers, so the match makes sense. Profar batted just .218/.301/.410 over 518 plate appearances with Oakland in 2019 and also had his share of struggles defensively. He's going into his final year of arbitration and is due a raise from the $3.6 million he made in 2019. Look for him to get a shot to fill the second base void in San Diego.

Source: Robert Murray on Twitter            Dec 2, 2019, 1:53 PM ET

More non-tenders:

• Travis Shaw (Brewers)
  • Kevin Gausman (Reds)
  • Jose Pereza (Reds)
  • Blake Treinen (A's)
  • Addison Russell (Cubs)
  • Aaron Sanchez (Astros-reported but not confirmed by Houston yet)

Also Marlins picked up Jesus Aguliar off of waivers to add to their recent move of getting Villar.  Looks like it is no longer a complete rebuild from the ground up situation in Miami.  (Can't wait to see what the O's got back for Villar.  Knowing them in recent years it will be nothing of value).

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
18 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Moustakis signs for four years with the Reds. Four years seems like a lot when you want him to play second base.

Source MLB TV

Looks like VanMeter is getting squeezed outta PT...ugh...still think he showed enough to get consistent ABs as a utility guy though, maybe?

3 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

The Boston Red Sox have tendered outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr. a contract for the 2020 season, preserving their rights to him.

As a sox fan, I love this. If he can wake him bat up, he would be solid. His glove alone makes him extremely valuable. 

7 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Hamels signs a one year deal with the Braves for a reported 18m according to MLB.TV.

Phillies twitter is not taking this well, nor should they be:

On the other hand:

I was hoping for a "quantity over quality" approach where the Phils got two or three guys in the Hamels,  Ryu, Gibson, Odorizzi tier, but it seems like other teams are beating them to the punch, and the middle tier is evaporating.  The value play may actually be going all in on Cole or Strasburg at this point, not splitting the baby with Wheeler or Bumgarner.

2 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

Wheeler to the Phillies.

For those of you like me who can't follow these links on their browser as they simply disappear when clicked on:

As first reported by Marc Carig of The Athletic, the Phillies have signed free agent starter Zack Wheeler.

ESPN's Jeff Passan hears that it will be a five-year deal worth $118 million guaranteed. Wheeler was one of the hottest names on the starting pitching market this winter, drawing reported interest from the White Sox, Reds, Angels, Blue Jays, Twins, Yankees, Rangers, and Astros, but the Phillies apparently presented the most intriguing overall package for the 29-year-old right-hander. Wheeler has posted a 3.65 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, and 374 strikeouts over his last 377 2/3 innings (60 starts) dating back to the beginning of the 2018 season.

Source: Marc Carig on Twitter                 Dec 4, 2019, 2:27 PM ET

Also Dylan Bundy went to the Angels for some prospects.

• Like 1

Angels get Dylan Bundy.

Angels acquired RHP Dylan Bundy from the Orioles for RHP Kyle Bradish, RHP Zach Peek, RHP Isaac Mattson and RHP Kyle Brnovich.

Bundy, 27, is coming off a season where he made 30 starts and threw 161 2/3 innings with a 4.79 ERA and 162/58 K/BB ratio. The former first-round pick has battled injuries and consistency, but still possesses swing-and-miss stuff. He'll likely pitch in the middle of the Angels' rotation in 2020, and he's not eligible for free agency until 2022.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

how much more?  if its like 120 instead of 118 id prob go to philly too

I disagree.  I think there's something really interesting going on on the South Side, and that division is wide open.  Meanwhile, the Phillies have to fight through the world champions *and* the Braves, and I don't think Wheeler alone closes the gap much.  We'll see if Middleton is willing to blow past the tax threshold, but if he's not, I bet the ChiSox make a deep run before the Phils do.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

I disagree.  I think there's something really interesting going on on the South Side, and that division is wide open.  Meanwhile, the Phillies have to fight through the world champions *and* the Braves, and I don't think Wheeler alone closes the gap much.  We'll see if Middleton is willing to blow past the tax threshold, but if he's not, I bet the ChiSox make a deep run before the Phils do.

i like Girardi.  i wanted the yanks to sign Wheeler if they went after any free agent.  i think wheeler's best is still in front of him. i think segura and harper can have a better year 2 in phil as well. they should address the Pen but id much rather be in philly than south chiraq.

the braves are going to be solid again. but what if Wash loses Straus and Rendon?

Edited by jfazz23
8 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Looks like Middleton doesn’t want to make the same mistake he made last season when he passed up on signing Corbin or Keuchel. I agree that Wheeler alone isn’t going to be enough to close the gap with the Nats and Braves. The Phillies finished fourth in that division and even without Wheeler, the Mets still have a better rotation than the Phillies. I’ll take DeGrom, Thor, Stroman and Matz over what the Phillies currently have. 

Maybe Middleton realizes that the Phillies have more holes to fill than he initially expected. They need at least 2 SP, they need a 3B, for some reason they’re after Didi, they also want to strengthen their BP. I can’t see them bringing up Bohm yet or giving full season AB to Kingery. I guess they can and probably will make a trade but other than Bohm, Howard and Segura, who has trade value? You can’t be trading away all your good prospects. At some point you’ll be needing those young kids. Teams like the Yankees, Astros, Dodgers, Braves, Red Sox and Nats have shown that you need a mix of a good farm system and the right FA/trades. 

I still believe the Phillies made a mistake by not going after Corbin last season or not trading for a SP. They gambled on their pitching rotation and lost badly. Now they might sign a SS and trade away the SS that they traded for last season. Who knows, maybe they’ll blow past the tax threshold and just sign everyone but I don’t see it happening. Not with the holes they still have and the amount of money it’s going to take to sign either Cole or Strasburg.

Edited by Sine_cera
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Sine_cera said:

for some reason they’re after Didi

I'm really glad you brought this up.  Can someone please explain the appeal here?  The Phillies blog and twitter ecosystem for some reason thinks Didi is going to be some huge get, and I'm just not seeing it.

Segura's not the best SS out there, but he's still good.  If for some reason you think he's lost too much range and he's hurting the team on defense, Kingery can hold down the spot adequately.  They finally made room in the infield for Bohm andor a big 3B acquisition by sending Franco and Hernandez packing, and now people want them to bring in an IF that's a marginal improvement over them, if any?  Here's a chart of wRC+ for two players over the last five seasons:

image.png.16b703cb087dcba9b160e31dcac3fd41.png

See any big differences there?  The gray line is Didi, the orange one is Cesar.  They both average out to a 100.2 wRC+ since 2015.  What am I supposed to be excited about when there are so many other holes to fill?

2 hours ago, Sine_cera said:

For a comp balance pick and the brewers #24 ranked prospect-- a pitcher. That is awfully cheap, but upon digging into Narvaez's profile it's prob about right? Limited defensively and the batted ball profile is not very good, really soft contact.