NBC Sports Edge Forums

2019-2020 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

1 hour ago, tonycpsu said:

I'm really glad you brought this up.  Can someone please explain the appeal here?  The Phillies blog and twitter ecosystem for some reason thinks Didi is going to be some huge get, and I'm just not seeing it.

Segura's not the best SS out there, but he's still good.  If for some reason you think he's lost too much range and he's hurting the team on defense, Kingery can hold down the spot adequately.  They finally made room in the infield for Bohm andor a big 3B acquisition by sending Franco and Hernandez packing, and now people want them to bring in an IF that's a marginal improvement over them, if any?  Here's a chart of wRC+ for two players over the last five seasons:

image.png.16b703cb087dcba9b160e31dcac3fd41.png

See any big differences there?  The gray line is Didi, the orange one is Cesar.  They both average out to a 100.2 wRC+ since 2015.  What am I supposed to be excited about when there are so many other holes to fill?

if Didi can get back to 2018, isn't that much better? why do some assume Didi is simply 2019 version. if people look at every season there is more reason to be optimistic that Didi is better than 2019 version.

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Pitchers and Catchers Report Day to all! Not sure if this is the place to put this, but indulge me for a few minutes if you feel like it. I have to admit this is the fourth year I've gotten sent

Michael Schur, creator of Parks & Rec and The Good Place, blasts one into the bleachers: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1224882392369786880.html?refreshed=yes  

FASTBALL:     CURVE:       CHANGE:        

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Sure, if every player could get back to their career year, they'd.... have a new career year.  :)  Just not sure why we should assume he will.  It's an outlier.

2016, 2017, 2018 were all better than 2019.

3 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Sure, but if we just get 2016 or 2017 Didi -- not by any means a guarantee now that he's almost 30 -- we're not talking about much of an upgrade at all over what we can expect from Segura.

what does Segura have to do with it. isn't he then moving to 2B to replace Cesar, with Kingery at 3B?

On 12/4/2019 at 3:44 PM, jfazz23 said:

source?

how much more?  if its like 120 instead of 118 id prob go to philly too

Fwiw his wife is from the greater Philadelphia area (Jersey). The Phillies should still be a good team, but there's a lot of value in having a happy spouse when all else is equal-ish.

10 minutes ago, Topgun said:

Source?

Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) Tweeted:
The deal sending Tommy Pham from the Tampa Bay Rays to the San Diego Padres is done, sources tell ESPN. Outfielder Hunter Renfroe and middle-infield prospect Xavier Edwards head back to the Rays. Padres will get another minor leaguer. https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1202817511420502016?s=20

3 minutes ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Don't know if I can keep Pham now

I dunno hes now batting between Tatis and Manny, thats a good spot to be in

Padres rebuild so far is looking great to me, they are finally going high OBP guys

Tatis-Pham-Manny-Hosmer-Mejia-Naylor/Myers-Profar-Grisham

more to come the way they are moving

Edited by Golden Spikes
7 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

I dunno hes now batting between Tatis and Manny, thats a good spot to be in

Padres rebuild so far is looking great to me, they are finally going high OBP guys

Tatis-Pham-Manny-Hosmer-Mejia-Naylor/Myers-Profar-Grisham

more to come the way they are moving

WAY more to come. Their farm system is bonkers.

24 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

I really like this trade for the Rays. A good young power hitter in Renfroe and a good IF prospect in Edwards. Franco, Brujan and Edwards could be a fun IF.

Not official yet. Hearing medicals on both sides might be an issue.

12 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Don't know if I can keep Pham now

If you were going to keep him as an OF in Tampa, I don't see why you wouldn't want to keep him as an OF in SD. I think his prospects for 2020 just went up. 

18 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

If you were going to keep him as an OF in Tampa, I don't see why you wouldn't want to keep him as an OF in SD. I think his prospects for 2020 just went up. 

More crowded outfield, worse park, worse offense.  I'm not really following you here, how did his prospects go up?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

I don't.  The AL East is the best division for a batter to play in.  Period.  And the Rays have a good hitting line-up these days.  It was an excellent trade for TB and Renfro should have a re-birth in a DH league.  But not so much a good trade for Pham or SD.

BTW Kyle Gibson lands in Texas with a three year deal.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
6 hours ago, Sine_cera said:

I really like this trade for the Rays.

Snell, not so much. lol

"We gave Pham up for Renfroe and a damn slapd--- prospect?"

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/rays-blake-snell-has-nsfw-reaction-to-reported-tommy-pham-trade-with-padres-on-twitch-stream/

6 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Snell, not so much. lol

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/rays-blake-snell-has-nsfw-reaction-to-reported-tommy-pham-trade-with-padres-on-twitch-stream/

LOL!  Unlike basketball the bigger name players in baseball don't get to be the GM as well.  And thank goodness for that.  TB made a really good deal and got rid of Pham when he still has really good value.  Hang on to him another year and not so much is my guess.  He will be 32 for this season.  No way at this point he is going to get better than he was.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Snell, not so much. lol

It doesn't sound like Xavier Edwards is a slapd*** prospect though. 

• Like 2

Another savvy move by the Rays. I like Pham, but he’s on the wrong side of 30 and is pretty much just another dude when the speed dries up. Well-timed deal. I’m not seeing how the move to SD is an upgrade.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TribeFoo said:

Another savvy move by the Rays. I like Pham, but he’s on the wrong side of 30 and is pretty much just another dude when the speed dries up. Well-timed deal. I’m not seeing how the move to SD is an upgrade.

then you haven't watched much Padre baseball

Padres have huge needs in OBP and thats what they are doing Renfroe is south of .300 OBP for his career, where Pham is over .370.  Penciling him in the 2 spot gives the guys behind him way more chances to produce.  Padres were a solo homer team

• Like 1