NBC Sports Edge Forums

2019-2020 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

10 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

If you were going to keep him as an OF in Tampa, I don't see why you wouldn't want to keep him as an OF in SD. I think his prospects for 2020 just went up. 

No starts at DH when he "needs a day off" plus the changes in divisions...I can only keep 6 position players and he is on the bubble...This may have just burst that...It hurts cause I have had him every year since he was called up...Tough call for me

Edited by hockeyfan77
  • Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Pitchers and Catchers Report Day to all! Not sure if this is the place to put this, but indulge me for a few minutes if you feel like it. I have to admit this is the fourth year I've gotten sent

Michael Schur, creator of Parks & Rec and The Good Place, blasts one into the bleachers: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1224882392369786880.html?refreshed=yes  

FASTBALL:     CURVE:       CHANGE:        

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

Mets should offer him a $40 billion / 200 year deal. 

In all reality, I hope he doesn't sign with NYY. I'd like to see the Angels get him. Trout needs to friggin have a good team around him. 

• Haha 1
48 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

Yeah and ...

Bob Klapisch of the New York Times reports that the Yankees have a seven-year, $245 million contract offer on the table for Gerrit Cole.

It would be the largest contract in history for a pitcher, both from a total and AAV perspective. Still, it remains to be seen whether it will be enough to get a deal done, as Cole is also drawing interest from the deep-pocketed Angels and Dodgers, as well. ESPN's Jeff Passan reported last week that the bidding for Cole is expected to "reach well beyond $250 million-plus."

Source: Bob Klapisch on Twitter                   Dec 8, 2019, 1:56 PM ET

Whoever "wins" this bidding war is screwed for years to come.  No pitcher and their fragile arm is worth 35 million a year -- and probably MORE -- for 7 years or MORE.  Cole long term  will end up as an albatross instead of a savior for the team that gets him.  Short term IF he isn't injured (and I do not, NOT, N-O-T trust pitchers staying healthy) yes he can help and maybe big time but I think building a "team" as opposed to relying on 2 or 3 or 4 superstars is the way to go long term as in building a dynasty.  Seven years or more for a pitcher is insane not even taking into account the money.

BTW at 35 million a year what does that come to per start?

At least my Red Sox won't be stuck with this contract.  They already have more than enough really stupid mega-contracts on their books already.  That is why they are so screwed this season to be able to even pick up in a fourth seeded pitcher and are talking about trying to re-sign Porcello now ... gag.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah and ...

Whoever "wins" this bidding war is screwed for years to come.  No pitcher and their fragile arm is worth 35 million a year -- and probably MORE -- for 7 years or MORE.  Cole long term  will end up as an albatross instead of a savior for the team that gets him.  Short term IF he isn't injured (and I do not, NOT, N-O-T trust pitchers staying healthy) yes he can help and maybe big time but I think building a "team" as opposed to relying on 2 or 3 or 4 superstars is the way to go long term as in building a dynasty.  Seven years or more for a pitcher is insane not even taking into account the money.

At least my Red Sox won't be stuck with this contract.  They already have more than enough really stupid mega-contracts on their books already.  That is why they are so screwed this season to be able to even pick up in a fourth seeded pitcher and are talking about trying to re-sign Porcello now ... gag.

i actually agree with u.  i dont want the yanks to get him for that money

• Like 2
18 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah and ...

Agree. I can't believe fans of a team would want this much tied up in a pitcher. Cole is great, but he likely just had his career year and the contract will go the way most others like it do: as an albatross and hindrance, even for the Yankees.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Agree. I can't believe fans of a team would want this much tied up in a pitcher. Cole is great, but he likely just had his career year and the contract will go the way most others like it do: as an albatross and hindrance, even for the Yankees.

The best hope is that it works like CC's contract - get 3-4 elite years out of it then hope he cant just eat innings and be an experienced vet on the team. Even though CC was a bad contract last few years of the deal it was likely worth it for the elite production they got early on.

18 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

i actually agree with u.  i dont want the yanks to get him for that money

He is exactly what the Yanks need with their lineup and bullpen.  

Paired with a healthy Severino makes them the easy favorites next year and beyond. 

Paying the luxury tax really means nothing to the Yanks other than they would prefer not to have to pay it.

And the Tanaka and Ellsbury contracts expire after this season.  Seems like a no brainer for them.

17 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Well another crazy mega-contract deal for a pitcher.  Also Cole bidding will get even more insane now that Strasburg is off the board.  And Nats said they could only sign one of Strasburg or Rendon so the Rendon bidding wars will go ballistic.

Got to say having one of the big 3 or 4 FA's out there gone already now along with Wheeler means this won't be a dead off season like last year most likely.

I see it is now rumored to be the same 7 years and 245 mil that the Yankees offered Cole.  This is insane.  That is all.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
Just now, Fbaseballgod said:

The year of the terrible contracts as far as I can tell 

Wheeler deal was nonsense. Strasburg borderline asinine. Who the f--- knows what cole will go for now.  Hamels was terrible too but at least it’s one year.  My 2 cents lol

• Like 2

Wow so Yankees offer Cole 7/245, and Cole’s agent turns around and gets that EXACT amount for his other less valuable client?  

Did Boras make some kind of argument to the Nats that since it was just an opener for Cole it is a fair proxy for the closing price for Stras?

I guess Cole wants to be the first $300 millions pitcher...

2 minutes ago, Weekday Warrior said:

Wow so Yankees offer Cole 7/245, and Cole’s agent turns around and gets that EXACT amount for his other less valuable client?  

Did Boras make some kind of argument to the Nats that since it was just an opener for Cole it is a fair proxy for the closing price for Stras?

I guess Cole wants to be the first $300 millions pitcher...

He didn't exactly. With 80 mil deferred it lowers the true value of the deal. But still he kicked out the plan B option for some of these teams and now the race is on. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well another crazy mega-contract deal for a pitcher.  Also Cole bidding will get even more insane now that Strasburg is off the board.  And Nats said they could only sign one of Strasburg or Rendon so the Rendon bidding wars will go ballistic.

Got to say having one of the big 3 or 4 FA's out there gone already now along with Wheeler means this won't be a dead off season like last year most likely.

I see it is now rumored to be the same 7 years and 245 mil that the Yankees offered Cole.  This is insane.  That is all.

it means cole is gonna want min 8 years and 280 mil.  boras will prob want a 9th year based on this.  not sure any team gives it to him tho

Just wanting to mention from 2001-Present the Yankees have probably spent an ABSURD amount of money on bad contracts n such (id be curious on the amount compared to other teams) for ONE RING (2009) mind boggling with their resources they couldn't do better in that time frame for what they spent

this team seems to finally be home grown for the most part except Stanton-Cole (assuming they get him) so maybe they finally learned doing research and developing is better than throwing money at every situation like an ignorant fool hah

or maybe this Cole contract incoming is the cycle repeating itself, i hope not as i like Cole though as a pitcher

Edited by kmoore1521