NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 MLB Sign Stealing Discussion

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It amazes me the Astros never traded for Brett Gardner... Dude was a perfect fit for their system.

There is, here you go:  

Astros need to stop and apologizing and just turn full heel. This should be their new coaching staff... Head Coach: Carlos Beltran Hitting Coach: Pete Rose Pitching Coach: Roger Clemens

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28498781/no-evidence-astros-used-wearable-devices-aid-sign-stealing

MLB came out and squashed this pretty quick today.  Leads me to believe they either want this to go away fast, or they already made a deal with players and can’t go back now.  

well apparently Beltran was named because he was offered immunity and they found out he lied so unfortunately I think the players are gonna get off easy.

2 hours ago, tucker26 said:

Just give the P/C and manager ear pieces (just not air pods cause they look idiotic). Think the “it ruins the integrity of the game” argument flew out the window maybe a decade or two ago lol

I've said this about a dozen times here on this thread and another but for some reason MLB hasn't gotten back to me on this.  Hope you have better luck.  👍 

7 hours ago, DJSatane said:

its a shame none of the players get any punishment for cheating, oh and beltran doesnt count

^This

If I’m a player involved I would feel like complete crap. Some of them got huge contracts for their performance during this time and get to continue playing and cashing checks. MLB knew the revenue intake wouldn’t be affected as much by losing managers vs suspending all stars

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, shakestreet said:

Jose Altuve cheated ...

home 8-15 4 Rs 2 HRs 3 RBIs  away 0-10 1 R 0 HR & RBI 

You missed the point.. was just trying to stir up @jfazz23 and @BMcP 😉 And this post was just to flip it and talk about how NO one remembers how dominate the pitching from Houston was that series.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

You missed the point.. was just trying to stir up @jfazz23 and @BMcP 😉 And this post was just to flip it and talk about how NO one remembers how dominate the pitching from Houston was that series.

Odd that the picture shows the hitters; it's like the person who made the graphic missed their own point.

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

The "best player in the game" gets to take HGH and you just shrug?

I'm not a doctor but it seems pretty straightforward - if his thyroid is haywire and he needs HGH to regulate it or whatever then that's what he needs. That's not a loophole, that's the whole point of "medical exemptions."

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Mikewastaken said:

I'm not a doctor but it seems pretty straightforward - if his thyroid is haywire and he needs HGH to regulate it or whatever then that's what he needs. That's not a loophole, that's the whole point of "medical exemptions."

While I think it’s ridiculous that Altuve and whoever else were possibly wearing buzzers and am not condoning this behavior at all as I think it’s awful for the game... but whether they are getting a buzz on their shoulder from an electronic device or hearing a trash can bang or verbal/visual cues from dugout/bullpen.... it still achieves the same goal for the hitter.... Not sure how much more of an advantage it really is having a buzzer in comparison to hearing a banging trash can. You’re still getting the message and know what’s coming. 

Edited by StartYourStuds
44 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

If this is true, there are 3 options. 

1) the entire story is bogus 

2) The mariners guy is either embellishing or misunderstanding the drug trout takes  (or trout’s condition)

3) Trout and the MLB are caught up in a scandalous conspiracy to give him steroids knowing fully well he does not need them 

In terms of likelihood I’ll go 2,1,3

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, StartYourStuds said:

While I think it’s ridiculous that Altuve and whoever else were possibly wearing buzzers and am not condoning this behavior at all as I think it’s awful for the game... but whether they are getting a buzz on their shoulder from an electronic device or hearing a trash can bang or verbal/visual cues from dugout/bullpen.... it still achieves the same goal for the hitter.... Not sure how much more of an advantage it really is having a buzzer in comparison to hearing a banging trash can. You’re still getting the message and know what’s coming. 

I just want to say that when this was first brought up a few pages back it was accidentally written as "wearing a buzzard" which totally confused me for hours.  I kept thinking it was some hip new term I never heard of and almost googled it up in the urban dictionary, lol.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Haha 1
44 minutes ago, StartYourStuds said:

How can you not? They knew this behavior was wrong and still went about business. MLB should set an example and suspend every player who used an electronic device or were up to bat if you heard a bang or whistle. 

54 minutes ago, StartYourStuds said:

you are right.. it equates to the same thing. sign stealing..

the only thing i see here is the other teams had caught on to the trash can incident... and converted to using the buzzer on the shoulder.. this 1. allows teams to believe a fair game is being played.. and 2. the players are still receiving signals to benefit themselves and the team..

if this theory is correct.. the fact they went out of their way to develop a new method makes things even worse and certainly deserves more punishment..

2 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I mean... if the news is even true, he has a medical exemption for it....

2 hours ago, Mikewastaken said:

You're missing the point. Obviously if he has been approved for this exemption he isn't cheating but he is still getting an advantage which does plant the seed to make fans wonder how good he really is.

IF this is even true, of course.

Edited by sportsfreak2744
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

How can you not? They knew this behavior was wrong and still went about business. MLB should set an example and suspend every player who used an electronic device or were up to bat if you heard a bang or whistle. 

You make this out to be simple.

What if some players used a buzzer for a series and then didn't like it while others like Altuve did it all season?

What if some players didn't use a buzzer but benefitted from the banging on the trash can all season?

What if some players didn't want to cheat but couldn't help but hear the trash can getting hit?

Surely they shouldn't all be punished the same.

6 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

You're missing the point. Obviously if he has been approved for this exemption he isn't cheating but he is still getting an advantage.

IF this is even true, of course.

IMO you're entering the slippery slope of what constitutes an advantage, unfair or otherwise. IF he has a medical deficiency and IF he takes HGH to correct that deficiency I don't see how it's all that different from getting LASIK or even cortisone injections to bring down chronic swelling. Was CC's monstrous knee brace an advantage? He couldn't pitch without it.