NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 MLB Sign Stealing Discussion

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It amazes me the Astros never traded for Brett Gardner... Dude was a perfect fit for their system.

There is, here you go:  

Astros need to stop and apologizing and just turn full heel. This should be their new coaching staff... Head Coach: Carlos Beltran Hitting Coach: Pete Rose Pitching Coach: Roger Clemens

Posted Images

3 hours ago, tucker26 said:

We're not exactly talking about Clayton Kershaw here. The guy was terrible before that game, he was terrible the year before, and was never really very good. I get the point this is trying to make, but don't act like this destroyed his career, he was doing that on his own long before that day. 

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, sngehl01 said:

We're not exactly talking about Clayton Kershaw here. The guy was terrible before that game, he was terrible the year before, and was never really very good. I get the point this is trying to make, but don't act like this destroyed his career, he was doing that on his own long before that day. 

How embarrassing that the WS champs need to steal signs electronically and bang trash cans when facing Mike Bolsinger.

The more I think about it the more it chaps my butt. Bush league!

Edited by Members_Only_76
  • Like 4
4 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

How embarrassing that the WS champs need to steal signs electronically and bang trash cans when facing Mike Bolsinger.

Absolutely. But I wouldn't go about projecting the idea that this is the reason the guy isn't in the league. It's not.  

1 hour ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Mike Clevinger mention something like that a couple of weeks ago... 

• Like 1

A Houston Astros fan, going by data he found and analysed of the 2017 season for trashcan banging. The results are amazing. He catalogs how often a player would have had the chance of availing this system (Beltran was the highest %), number of instances per game, and the results of that game. This does not include any other form of signaling the batter just trashcan banging.

Ran across the site in The Athletic. It is called signstealingscandal.com. 

On 1/13/2020 at 1:17 PM, BMcP said:

Wow.  Good for MLB.  Get those cheaters out of the game and fire their asses.  They have no business having anything more to do with baseball.  Feel for my 2017 Yankees, but also, every single person adversely affected by their arrogance.  This will set the Astros back for ages to come.

It's terrible for MLB.

No players, suspended, banned, losing salary.

5 mil is peanuts for Jim Crane.

Hinch, Luhnow will work again. It's just MLB ACTING like they did something.

Astros draft at the end. This isn't going to ser them back much.

4 minutes ago, HOOTIE said:

It's terrible for MLB.

Admittedly this was spoken in the heat of the moment - I obviously wish they did more, but I think it was clear all along that they weren’t planning to punish individual players.

At least the players involved will have their reputations forever tarnished, and that “win” will forever have an asterisk attached to it in the hearts of fans.

Edited by BMcP
8 minutes ago, HOOTIE said:

It's terrible for MLB.

Here’s something of a silver lining for you, perhaps:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/astros-cheating-scandal-three-ways-mlbs-punishment-could-hurt-houston-on-the-field/amp/

4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Changes could be negative true.

But they still have a talented roster, and Dusty is fine by me.

The Astros drafted well, helped by early picks. Correa, Bregman, Springer.

I dont see them being a 80 win team. They won't win 100 plus, but I would be surprised if they dont win 90.

Playing the Rangers, Mariners 38 times, almost makes 90 a lock.

They have Kyle Tucker, Josh James, Jose Urquidy waiting in the wings.

Not a Astros fan, or condone their actions.

I just think MLB penalties were nothing more then a charade, to say hey look, we did something.

I wish my team had Dusty.

32 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Good God man,  why?  I'd rather see my grandmother in the role.  

.532 winning %

Not too shabby

I hate od school guys, and the fact he hates analytics.

But players love him, and he had some success. 

1 minute ago, HOOTIE said:

.532 winning %

Not too shabby

I hate od school guys, and the fact he hates analytics.

But players love him, and he had some success. 

Referring to that article I posted, I think hiring Dusty almost demands a pretty major overhaul of their previous, analytics-driven strategies.  At the very least, it will require a substantial adjustment period.

28 minutes ago, GC Tacos said:

An unsubstantiated rumor by someone looking for attention... he “walked back” on his claims too. Nice way of saying he lied and got caught. 

LOL!!  Peter Gammons doesn't have to "look for attention."  He is one of the all time deans of baseball reporters.  I think he could have heard right but covered for Young so Young wouldn't lose face with his peers.  But if it was actually a mistake, it was a mistake.  Big whoop.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, GC Tacos said:

An unsubstantiated rumor by someone looking for attention... he “walked back” on his claims too. Nice way of saying he lied and got caught. 

Oh yeah,I'm sure Peter Gammons just pulled this out of thin air. Nothing to see here !

There's no reason at all for Gammons to make this up. But it makes perfect sense for him to walk it back after Chris Young denied it.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

LOL!!  Peter Gammons doesn't have to "look for attention."  He is one of the all time deans of baseball reporters.  I think he could have heard right but covered for Young so Young wouldn't lose face with his peers.  But if it was actually a mistake, it was a mistake.  Big whoop.

Except Gammons at this point is a crazy, senile old man who needs to be put out to pasture (metaphorically speaking, of course). Dude voted for Larry Walker for HOF for years, then on his last ballot, pulls him off and sites stats incorrectly as to the reasons why lmao. Gammons was a pioneer, but nothing he says at this point holds even an ounce of value. 

• Thanks 2