Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 MLB Sign Stealing Discussion


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It amazes me the Astros never traded for Brett Gardner... Dude was a perfect fit for their system.

There is, here you go:  

Astros need to stop and apologizing and just turn full heel. This should be their new coaching staff... Head Coach: Carlos Beltran Hitting Coach: Pete Rose Pitching Coach: Roger Clemens

Posted Images

Good, screw 'em. The question is if it's enough to stop this, and I'm not sure it is.

At minimum all the Astros offensive players knew about it. Either everyone gets punished or no one since it'd be impossible to prove if one player was more involved than another. They probably didn't want to get in a pissing match with the MLBPA. Comes across as weak.

I'd expect Astros players numbers to be down across the board. This scandal resulted in such an advantage.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Have always been a bit bitter how the Astros tanked so hard and completely gamed the system to build a contender. They were within their right to do so but it still always felt so cheap. This whole sign stealing thing just shows how far they were willing to go and how little integrity they have. Glad they got a stiff punishment.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Houston loses it's manager for a year and important draft picks:

 

has Boston been punished yet?  you think cora gets a year too?

 

1st and 2nd round draft pick next 2 years

Edited by jfazz23
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

This should have lifetime bans.  Also interesting that no players - who were completely involved as well - seem to be getting punished. 

They cheated to win the World Series.  Full Stop.

Cheating to win is no different that using steroids.  Every offensive player should be banned from HOF. 

 

no one thought players would be punished tbh.  but i agree. this is worse than what pete rose did

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's possible Cora gets more. He was apparently firmly entrenched in the Houston saga before the replay booth scheme in Boston. I don't see how his punishment will be any less. If I were MLB I'd be getting this over with as soon as possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

has Boston been punished yet?  you think cora gets a year too?

Pure speculation on my part but I’d expect Boston ownership to follow Houston’s lead here and fire Cora.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, meh2 said:

Pure speculation on my part but I’d expect Boston ownership to follow Houston’s lead here and fire Cora.

 

not sure if they are related, but im wondering if this makes the new GM trade Betts and try to rebuild farm system

Link to post
Share on other sites

MLB could have gotten out ahead of this after other sign-stealing scandals, or taken proactive steps to eliminate sign-stealing using technology of their own.  Instead they waited until titles were tainted.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TribeFoo said:

Good, screw 'em. The question is if it's enough to stop this, and I'm not sure it is.

At minimum all the Astros offensive players knew about it. Either everyone gets punished or no one since it'd be impossible to prove if one player was more involved than another. They probably didn't want to get in a pissing match with the MLBPA. Comes across as weak.

I'd expect Astros players numbers to be down across the board. This scandal resulted in such an advantage.

 

 

How much? You can't possibly say.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow.  Good for MLB.  Get those cheaters out of the game and fire their asses.  They have no business having anything more to do with baseball.  Feel for my 2017 Yankees, but also, every single person adversely affected by their arrogance.  This will set the Astros back for ages to come.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

 

not sure if they are related, but im wondering if this makes the new GM trade Betts and try to rebuild farm system

 

Why would you ever blow up a roster when their best hitters are:

Devers (23), Benintendi (25), Bogaerts (27), Betts (27), Martinez (32)

 

That's the make of a team in the middle of it's window, not the end.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

 

Why would you ever blow up a roster when their best hitters are:

Devers (23), Benintendi (25), Bogaerts (27), Betts (27), Martinez (32)

 

That's the make of a team in the middle of it's window, not the end.

 

no bullpen, if sale is now a 4 ERA guy then they dont have SP to compete.  no farm system.  betts is gone next year regardless.  who knows what Tendi is.  who knows if JDMs back doesnt get worse an the best is behind him.  morale might be low if Cora gets a year....

not to mention they may lose top draft picks for the next 2 years...possibly 3rd or 4th best team in division.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

 

No, but I think we can all agree that knowing what pitch is coming is an immense advantage.

Data seems inconclusive at best.  Could make a case that knowing the pitch is a form of a mind screw.  

 

Beltran seemed to do worse when knowing. But i think I'd agree with you,  just haven't decided to what extent.  

 

I'd be willing to be convinced otherwise,  but I'd put this behind PED use in terms of flagrant cheating

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

 

no bullpen, if sale is now a 4 ERA guy then they dont have SP to compete.  no farm system.  betts is gone next year regardless.  who knows what Tendi is.  who knows if JDMs back doesnt get worse an the best is behind him.  morale might be low if Cora gets a year....

not to mention they may lose top draft picks for the next 2 years...possibly 3rd or 4th best team in division.  

 

I'm pretty confident in saying that not all of these negative outcomes will come to fruition.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

has Boston been punished yet?  you think cora gets a year too?

 

1st and 2nd round draft pick next 2 years

Yes.  Alex already making travel plans to relocate to Puerto Rico

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WahooManiac said:

Data seems inconclusive at best.  Could make a case that knowing the pitch is a form of a mind screw.  

 

Beltran seemed to do worse when knowing. But i think I'd agree with you,  just haven't decided to what extent.  

 

I'd be willing to be convinced otherwise,  but I'd put this behind PED use in terms of flagrant cheating

 

using electronics to steal signs is systematic.  steroids (unless teams were distributing) arent.  id actually say this is worse than individual steroid use (although i hated/hate steroid use)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...