NBC Sports Edge Forums

Which guards will blow up?

Lots of talented young guards in the NBA right now, including a very impressive rookie class (some of whom are killing it already).  Stashing a mercurial youngster in the season's early days can pay off big time if they blossom later in the season; witness Trae Young last year, Donovan Mitchell two years ago, etc.  So which young guards are your best bets to flourish into stars later this season?  Here are a few possibilities:

Dejounte Murray

Coby White

Tyler Herro

Collin Sexton

Darius Garland

Tomas Satoransky

Markelle Fultz (yes, really)

What do you think?  Who is missing from the list, and who doesn't belong?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, iowncrazyhair said:

Not a guard, but MPJ will blow up before those you listed. 2nd half the season. 

Was watching the Denver’s game last night. Announcers were talking about how Malone basically is making some starting jobs up for grabs. They played very badly and he’s looking to switch it up. Not sure if this is just motivation tactics lol, but Wouldn’t shock me if MPJ start getting some more run soon. 

1 hour ago, DrFunkenstein13 said:

Lots of talented young guards in the NBA right now, including a very impressive rookie class (some of whom are killing it already).  Stashing a mercurial youngster in the season's early days can pay off big time if they blossom later in the season; witness Trae Young last year, Donovan Mitchell two years ago, etc.  So which young guards are your best bets to flourish into stars later this season?  Here are a few possibilities:

Dejounte Murray

Coby White

Tyler Herro

Collin Sexton

Darius Garland

Tomas Satoransky

Markelle Fultz (yes, really)

What do you think?  Who is missing from the list, and who doesn't belong?

I would say the only once who has a chance to genuinely "blow up" is Garland. Dejounte I would never touch because he doesn't provide needed pg stats. Sexton sucks. White is a flash in the pan and will alternate duds with Sato and Dunn. Garland has easily the clearest path to 32-34 mpg role, the most upside, and in the best fantasy situation on that rebuilding cavs squad. Even still unless in very deep leagues Garland is just a watch list guy as he has not had one game that I would consider to be a really good game. 

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, vyun said:

Graham has been a gem from day 1. He's not gonna "blow up," he's been balling since the beginning. If he's available then you need another league

Yeah I'm a bit confused by the premise. Do we really need to "stash" Dejounte Murray if he was a T100 draft pick, he's producing at about his expected level, and I haven't seen anyone talking about dropping?

If we're just talking about young PGs in general Ja Morant is outside the T150 in 9-cat, and barely T100 even when punting TOs. But at 27 mpg I feel like he will have a great second half and propel himself into the high mid-round discussion next season.

If we wanna talk about guys who have actually been on waivers, definitely D. Graham.

If we wanna talk about guys who don't belong - Sexton. Empty cats scoring he's basically a slighlty better (or slightly worse honestly) Jordan Clarkson. Low assists, low reb, low stocks, 3s aren't even off the charts, FG% isn't that great. Even if he scored 20 ppg he'd be a worse Lou Will. 

Edited by s-kayos
  • Like 1
38 minutes ago, s-kayos said:

Yeah I'm a bit confused by the premise. Do we really need to "stash" Dejounte Murray if he was a T100 draft pick, he's producing at about his expected level, and I haven't seen anyone talking about dropping?

If we're just talking about young PGs in general Ja Morant is outside the T150 in 9-cat, and barely T100 even when punting TOs. But at 27 mpg I feel like he will have a great second half and propel himself into the high mid-round discussion next season.

If we wanna talk about guys who have actually been on waivers, definitely D. Graham.

If we wanna talk about guys who don't belong - Sexton. Empty cats scoring he's basically a slighlty better (or slightly worse honestly) Jordan Clarkson. Low assists, low reb, low stocks, 3s aren't even off the charts, FG% isn't that great. Even if he scored 20 ppg he'd be a worse Lou Will. 

Right, I didn't mention guys like Devonte Graham and Kendrick Nunn who are already playing well ...more looking for sleepers, whether from waivers or cheaply available as buy-lows.  I suppose Dejounte Murray is not really in that category.

3 hours ago, richg24 said:

I would say the only once who has a chance to genuinely "blow up" is Garland. Dejounte I would never touch because he doesn't provide needed pg stats. Sexton sucks. White is a flash in the pan and will alternate duds with Sato and Dunn. Garland has easily the clearest path to 32-34 mpg role, the most upside, and in the best fantasy situation on that rebuilding cavs squad. Even still unless in very deep leagues Garland is just a watch list guy as he has not had one game that I would consider to be a really good game. 

Yeah Garland has a chance but he is like the fifth option on that squad behind Sexton, Love, Thompson, and Clarkson. 

I think you have to look at who has the biggest chance for an improved opportunity later this year. If Love gets moved maybe that opens up more touches for Garland but that might not happen for a while. 

I still think DWhite could make some noise. Especially if DeRozan gets dealt. Right now he's also a watchlist type. 

• Like 1

Huerter, Edwards, Coby White, Garland, KPJ, Evans, Brooks, Herro, Culver, Payton, Barrett, Simons, T.Davis. 

• Like 1