NBC Sports Edge Forums

2019 Fantasy Playoff D/ST Stashes

So this is usually the week where I start looking forward to Weeks 14/15/16 to plan my playoff D/ST strategy. This is mainly for deep leagues where holding two defenses can be much more common, but it can be useful for shallow leagues as well. I’ve found that if you start looking ahead around this time you can make some maneuvers without having to unnecessarily burn your waiver claims.

Pitt - Arizona/Buffalo/Jets - in most competitive leagues they were gone weeks ago for this exact reason, but if they’re still available for whatever inane reason I’d suggest grabbing them immediately.

Baltimore - Buffalo/Jets/Browns - also most likely gone by now, but probably the best overall schedule for that time frame.

Philadelphia - Giants/Redskins/Dallas - if there’s one thing I love about Jim Schwartz, it’s that he’s absolutely relentless when he’s playing a weaker offense. Watch his defensive highlights against Luke Falk if you need any proof. I’d drop them for Week 16 but there’s a lot of potential value in those first two matchups.

Jacksonville Chargers/Oakland/Atlanta - I’ve noticed they’ve getting dropped in quite a few leagues. Not the worst playoff matchups.

Texans - Denver/Titans/Bucs - haven’t looked too great lately but they have a pretty good looking playoff schedule. For a team that’s technically still fighting for a playoff spot, I think they could end up a decent option.

Raiders - Titans/Jax/Chargers - another team fighting for playoff contention, and probably still available in a lot of leagues

It’s worth noting that Miami also has an extremely favorable playoff schedule (Jets/Giants/Bengals), but I wouldn’t consider that trash team worthy of a multi-week roster stash. Maybe pick them up the week before to block your competition if they have a weak D/ST situation.

If there’s any others I’m missing feel free to bring them up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So this is usually the week where I start looking forward to Weeks 14/15/16 to plan my playoff D/ST strategy. This is mainly for deep leagues where holding two defenses can be much more common, but it

I wouldn’t hesitate to roll them out there Week 15 against the Steelers, although that game is in Pittsburgh, and the Bills D hasn’t been playing that well on the road lately.  Eagles @ Washington is

I would add GB to that list:  Was, Chi, and Min.  They make a nice match for weeks 14/15

2 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

I think the Jets defense should definitely be under consideration as well, based on their opponents.

They really only have Miami Week 14 as their only favorable matchup. After that it’s Ravens/Steelers. Wouldn’t touch them against Lamar and the Ravens in the semis, and the Steelers will most likely have an ultra-conservative gameplan at that point in the season, as they’ll most likely be right on the wild card cusp. Think you could find a better option Week 16 if you make it that far.

Jets schedule is real solid up until Week 15 though.

At this stage of the game you have to at least consider that the Falcons aren't a fluke.

Playoff slate of shorting Jimmy G/Ryan Tannheill/Kyle Allen doesn't look super imposing IF (big IF) you think what they've done the past two weeks is sustainable.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

At this stage of the game you have to at least consider that the Falcons aren't a fluke.

Playoff slate of shorting Jimmy G/Ryan Tannheill/Kyle Allen doesn't look super imposing IF (big IF) you think what they've done the past two weeks is sustainable.

You're slightly off, they get Allen, Garoppolo, and Foles Weeks 14-16.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, ninersdd said:

You're slightly off, they get Allen, Garoppolo, and Foles Weeks 14-16.

D'oh!

Wrong AFC South dude.

Point stands.  If they can put the clamps on the Saints, whether it's Jags or Titans, conceivably it could work again.

I have Cleveland for weeks 12-14 (Miami, Pitt, Cin).  I kind of like KC Defense for weeks 15 and 16 at home against Denver and then at Chicago.  I just think the Bears are horrendous and it's likely KC will be going against Drew Lock in one of his first starts (or Brandon Allen, who hasn't looked great and is only completing around 50% of his passes).

28 minutes ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

I don't think the Steelers playoff schedule is that good. Buffalo and Arizona can score points. 

Bills are 20th in points for despite playing the easiest part of their schedule. Allen is always prone to sacks and turnovers. Arizona is a matchup that could go either way. 

For the playoffs I'm going with GB in one league & Philadelphia the other. Both have great matchups up until week 16 comes around, but all you really need is to make it to the finale. You'll figure out the rest when you get there. Also both these teams have good offenses , which is a plus for any defense, keeps them fresh and rested . As opposed to teams like the NYJ , JAX , PIT 

30 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

For the playoffs I'm going with GB in one league & Philadelphia the other. Both have great matchups up until week 16 comes around, but all you really need is to make it to the finale. You'll figure out the rest when you get there. Also both these teams have good offenses , which is a plus for any defense, keeps them fresh and rested . As opposed to teams like the NYJ , JAX , PIT 

Devil's advocate - both these defenses have fatal flaws - Philly's secondary and GB's run defense.

I'd tend to trust Philly more, because teams that can force teams to throw tend to generate more positive defensive plays (picks and sacks).

I don't know if I can trust GB at all because teams will want to run on them all day.

3 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Devil's advocate - both these defenses have fatal flaws - Philly's secondary and GB's run defense.

I'd tend to trust Philly more, because teams that can force teams to throw tend to generate more positive defensive plays (picks and sacks).

I don't know if I can trust GB at all because teams will want to run on them all day.

Eagles have gotten key pieces back in the CB position , and have been playing a lot better as of late. And teams can't just run on GB , they will fall behind and be forced to throw. These are my top choices , and theres no other defense I would ride with,  besides maybe BAL or NE week 15/16 only . 

I like to worry about this week to week. Even after your playoff ticket is punched, if you get too cute and drop handcuffs to stash extra defenses, the fantasy gods will ensure the handcuff’s starter gets injured. If you make it to Week 16, you’re competing with one other team for a D/ST. One of the available teams will be playing a turnover-prone rookie or backup.

1 hour ago, eg4190 said:

I like to worry about this week to week. Even after your playoff ticket is punched, if you get too cute and drop handcuffs to stash extra defenses, the fantasy gods will ensure the handcuff’s starter gets injured. If you make it to Week 16, you’re competing with one other team for a D/ST. One of the available teams will be playing a turnover-prone rookie or backup.

This is true,many leagues prevent eliminated teams from pick ups and drops. A good defense isnt that hard to find in week 14/15/16.

I added the ravens like 3 weeks ago and haven’t looked back, there matchups are so nice for week 15-16 which jets and browns.  

Cool  fact 😎 

Top 5 offenses by DVOA since Week 7:
BAL
DAL
GB
KC
NO

Top 5 defenses by DVOA since Week 7:
BAL
NE
PIT
SF
NO

No team is hotter than #RavensFlock.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Dalton Gang said:

I have Eagles and someone just dropped SF. Trying to decide what to do. SF is #2 D but I like we 15 & 16 better for the Eagles.

Don't know why people are out here dropping SF. They've already shown they can put up points against good offences (ARI and SEA), their defense is already great on paper - I'm rolling them out ROS. Pick up another defense if you have to, but I wouldn't drop SF ever. Having points scored against them doesn't matter as they're very capable of forcing sacks and turnovers.

• Like 3