NBC Sports Edge Forums

Luis Urias 2020 Outlook

Highly productive minor leaguer who's always been way below the average age for his level through his trip to MLB. He flashed some in SD but stats look pretty meh on paper. 

Just got traded to Milwaukee..big upgrade on home ballpark and PT will not be an issue. Can play both middle infield spots.

22 years old, he should start the season at SS with Huira at 2B.  RosterResource has him hitting 7th (may end up 6th) so his counting stats may not be the best.

Steamer says 601 PA: 16 - 61 - 72 - 5 - .251/.333

I think those are pretty fair numbers with definite upside in AVG/OBP.  Also, keep an eye on him in points leagues and deeper stat leagues as he should deliver good BBs and 2Bs.

Like many contact oriented prospects, he was def a bit underrated. Then he got a hold of those AAA super balls and the hitter friendly PCL parks (esp home park) and it becomes harder to really decode what we have here? I liked the move for the Crew, as he is very young yet. I guess my main concerns are; can he handle SS and more chiefly-- I have read a lot about a lack of authority in his contact (ie low exit velos)...that is a red flag, right?

His AAA team saw a massive jump in HR overall from 2018 to 2019 so my guess is that the balls played a big part in that.  He is still really young, I would expect a bit of a power bump both because of age and also his new spot.  Not only going from Petco to Miller, but with the weighted division heavy schedule MLB uses, playing an NL Central road schedule vs an NL West schedule I think it also a pretty big net positive for increase in offensive output. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 8:20 AM, I was wrong on Kris Benson said:

I'm concerned about his outlook just because the Padres traded him for seemingly a lower grade prospect. 

Who? Grisham?

• 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Counsell said Urias is a full go and is fully healthy. Should be able to make his debut with the Brewers in a few days. Seems like the SS job is his once he’s activated. 

Do you think he'll bat 9th?

• 3 weeks later...

I think he will. Yesterday both Arcia and Urias were in the same lineup. Urias moved to 3B. He has come out pretty hot since dealing with Covid and he is the  Brewers future SS. [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story