NBC Sports Edge Forums

Can you ever truly find the perfect team?

I want to talk specifically about 8-CAT and 9-CAT leagues.

I've always been known as a very dominant GM in all my leagues. My record in Yahoo is 132-45, so I have a career 75% winrate. In all the 10 leagues I have participated, I have made playoffs in every single one of them, and I've almost always managed to to end the regular season in the top 3. I have won 1st place in 3 out of those 10 leagues, which I believe is fairly respectable.

This is not to say that I'm a great fantasy player or anything, but I believe my play-style has had something to do with it. You see, I've always been known for being extremely active on the wire and also with trades. In every season I ever played, I've always used the maximum amount of wire pick-ups almost every single week. When people look at wire moves made, I'm always at the top. Same goes for trades, I usually make more than a dozen trades during a regular season.

My philosophy has always been the same. Keep 1 or 2 "flex spots" available so that I can maximize the amount of games I play per week and take advantage of hot wire pickups. I read basketball news, listen to podcast, and monitor the wire daily so that I'm always ready for the next hot player available. I even take time on Sunday to religiously plan my upcoming week and determine who I'm picking up and who I'm gonna be dropping during the week.

Is it boredom? Partially. I always get excited about changing my lineups and switching things up with trades (both marginal and blockbusters), but I always have some strategy in mind when doing them. I also feel like if I were not maximizing the amount of games I have, I could lose to someone who is streaming heavily, and to be quite honest, I love being able to brag about holding 1st place in the league. Having said that, I realize that in many occasions, I have dropped valuable long-term players for the sake of streaming, which has bitten me in the a** a couple times during playoff time.

So my question is this, can you ever truly find a perfect team? Assume that nobody on your team is INJ, can you actually find a roster of players that are so good that streaming becomes unnecessary? Is having 1 or 2 flex spots and always streaming on the wire the ideal strategy in competitive leagues?

For what it's worth, I've never seen a GM who makes very few wire moves ending up dominating and winning a league, they are always sitting near the bottom.

Sorry for the long post, I've just been thinking about this a lot and can't really make up my mind. My current team is very juicy and I have no idea if I have managed to reach the perfect state in which I can just let my team play every week regardless of the number of games. Currently sitting comfortably at 1st place.

Edited by ItzJaBoiSam

Just to comment on a couple of your points. In my experience with the more competitive leagues, managers never drop valuable long term players for the sake of streaming. Also, usually the better teams tend to make the least amount of moves and or trades (pretty much the opposite of what you were saying). Competitive leagues believe it or not have very few trades going down which is probably a direct affect of all the managers in that said league know what they are doing and know how to build a team properly. To answer you one question whether you can find a team so good that streaming becomes unnecessary. Well again, from my experience in the more competitive leagues (eg.12 teamer) you’ll find half the teams really don’t need to stream much. I wiIl say however, that most people usually use the last two spots on their roster for either late season stashes, fliers or to stream if need be. I guess the main point is. In competitive leagues, where not only the player pool but the Managers (in competitive leagues) themselves, are more balanced throughout the league, then there tends to be much much less streaming compared to how some of these boards make it out to be. In my main league last year there was a total of 2 trades all year. That’s how good these drafters can be in those types of leagues. 

18 hours ago, Bugs bunny said:

Just to comment on a couple of your points. In my experience with the more competitive leagues, managers never drop valuable long term players for the sake of streaming. Also, usually the better teams tend to make the least amount of moves and or trades (pretty much the opposite of what you were saying). Competitive leagues believe it or not have very few trades going down which is probably a direct affect of all the managers in that said league know what they are doing and know how to build a team properly. To answer you one question whether you can find a team so good that streaming becomes unnecessary. Well again, from my experience in the more competitive leagues (eg.12 teamer) you’ll find half the teams really don’t need to stream much. I wiIl say however, that most people usually use the last two spots on their roster for either late season stashes, fliers or to stream if need be. I guess the main point is. In competitive leagues, where not only the player pool but the Managers (in competitive leagues) themselves, are more balanced throughout the league, then there tends to be much much less streaming compared to how some of these boards make it out to be. In my main league last year there was a total of 2 trades all year. That’s how good these drafters can be in those types of leagues. 

Yeah, all the leagues I've participated on are with people from work or friends, and while they are all knowledgeable about basketball, none of them study the game and put the work on crunching stats the way and planning their builds the way I do, so I must be just a big fish in a very small pond.

I'm not surprised to hear that GMs in competitive leagues do less wire pickups and trades, and to a degree, I would never drop someone valuable just for the sake of streaming. However, 12-team and 14-team leagues are so deep that it's really difficult to end up with a team where every single player is valuable. Add to that the fact that there are so many injuries going on these days and it makes it almost impossible not to be active, but I still get your point.

What's the best way to get into these leagues? Is my only option to look for something online? I don't think I will ever find a truly competitive league among my friends or work buddies. I really want to put myself to the test.

22 hours ago, adreeyun said:

Just curious at what your "juicy" roster is lol. 

14-team league, 9-category, 14 player roster + 2 IR spots

PG: Bledsoe, D Graham, Rubio, Ja Morant, Lonzo
SG: D House, W Barton
SF: Giannis
PF: Mo Wagner, D Saric, B Clarke
C : J Collins, M Harrell, J Randle

May not look like much, but this is a damn juicy team for a 14-team league. I don't even have Collins and I'm still crushing my league.

My build is an FT, TO punt. I'm very good at REB, AST, PTS and ST and I'm competitive in 3PTS and BLK. Streaming is done for the purpose of boosting those 3PTS and BLKs when I need them, or when my opponent is extremely strong at one of my strong categories.

None of my guys are drop-worthy right now. The closest ones are Mo Wagner and D Saric, but honestly, they are still performing well for being my end of bench players. Considering all I can get from the wire right now is Moe Harkless, Justin Holiday, and Jamychal green, etc, I don't see any justification for dropping any of them. Ja Morant's injury is the only reason I'm able to do any streaming right now whatsoever.