NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kevin Smith

Br0kenB

How do you feel about Kevin Smith this year? I just selected him in the 4th round of a PPR Dynasty League because I had targetted another player, but he fell before me. He has a nose for the end-zone and is slated to get a bulk of the carries in Detroit this year. How do you feel about him?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How do you feel about Kevin Smith this year? I just selected him in the 4th round of a PPR Dynasty League because I had targetted another player, but he fell before me. He has a nose for the end-zone and is slated to get a bulk of the carries in Detroit this year. How do you feel about him?

I expect big things from this kid. He almost broke Barry Sanders DI single season rushing record last year. He's got soft hands, and as brokenb said, he has a nose for the endzone and plays bigger than he is. He ran out of a zone blocking scheme in college, and the Lions are implementing a similar system so he should adjust quickly. Yeah, Bell is a must as a handcuff, but I don't know if Bell will be a factor (unless god forbid Smith gets injured) for a couple of reasons. Smith is a solid pass blocker already, the kid never fumbles, and Bell has done nothing in his career to warrrant any consideration as an every down back. Bell will get a split in the begining of the season to let the rook get adjusted, but by week 6, Smith will be getting the lions share of the carries. I think reasonable expectations would be 800yds, 5tds, 30rec, 200yds, 2tds. But if things fall into place on the Oline and the D can keep them in games so they dont have to start airing it out in the 3rd quarter, I think he has a ceiling of 1100yds, 7tds, 45rec, 300yds, and 3tds. And thats not a lot to me. I think I'm being conservative and he could pass those marks.

On a side note, I drafted the kid, and had Bell as a handcuff. But then a guy in my league decides that he doesnt think he can compete this year, and decides hes gonna play spoiler this year and rebuild. So hes looking for young talent that will pay dividends next year. He only had 3 players with any value in a ppr dynasty... Brees, Bush, and Gates. So a guy offers him Forte and Phillip Rivers for Brees, and he jumps on it. So I offered him Kevin Smith, Bell, Dwayne Bowe, and Tony Scheffler for Gates and Bush. And he agreed! Needless to say, I'm lovin fantasy life this year. My team is in my sig.

I'm guessing he'll fall to me at #5 in my dynasty league rookie draft a few weeks from now, so I'll likely be hoping he's got big game. However, it wouldn't surprise me if Bell does end up being a factor this year. I'm surprised he re-signed with Detroit after being deactivated for the last few games last season, but I would guess that they believe he can be their primary running back if they released Kevin Jones and waited until the third round to draft Smith as a replacement. Let's not forget they passed on Mendenhall at #17 to address another need. Obviously we'll have to wait and see what happens in training camp, but right now, I would rather sit on Bell than take Smith in the 4th round.

I'm guessing he'll fall to me at #5 in my dynasty league rookie draft a few weeks from now, so I'll likely be hoping he's got big game. However, it wouldn't surprise me if Bell does end up being a factor this year. I'm surprised he re-signed with Detroit after being deactivated for the last few games last season, but I would guess that they believe he can be their primary running back if they released Kevin Jones and waited until the third round to draft Smith as a replacement. Let's not forget they passed on Mendenhall at #17 to address another need. Obviously we'll have to wait and see what happens in training camp, but right now, I would rather sit on Bell than take Smith in the 4th round.

There's some talk of Brian Calhoun being a factor in Detroit this year. Some in the organization seem to be high on him and he may be healthy and ready to play.

• 4 weeks later...

this is just my gut feeling, from his college competition and this being the lions we are talking about, but i think he disappoints fantasy owners this year...

ive seen a vast difference in projections for him.... some just see the opportunity that he has to get lots of PT and like him..other just don't seme to think he's the real deal..

Anyone got any new news on Smith?? What kind of #'s would expect from him?

dude has the single season carries record and he broke that by like 50 carries and his total was 450 carries. Do yall remember when Larry Johnson had that 400 carry season and now look what happened to him. Im not saying Kevin Smith is going to be a bust (I hope not I drafted him) but I really think hes going to have a hard time staying healthy this year. My plan with him is hopefully he has some big games in the first weeks of the season and then I can use him as trade bait.

There have been more than a few guys who have fared well in the NFL despite not playing the "big" programs in college. Just a few that come to mind recently are Deuce McAllister, Michael Turner, LT, Willie Parker, and Brandon Jacobs.

Plus, Smith torched the big name programs he played against in Texas and NC St. last year. Against Texas, he rushed for 150 yds and 2 tds. Against NC St, he rushed for 220 yds and 2 TD's

2 reasons why I like Kevin Smith this year:

1. The departure of Mike Martz means no more pass only offense. This offense should start becoming more balanced and the new O-Coordinator Coletto has a history of producing some fine runners. When he was the offensive line coach in BAL, Jamal Lewis turned in a 2,000 rush yd season. Coletto is also going to use a zone running scheme this year and we all know how successful that system has been for DEN.

2. No other real competition for the job. I know Tatum Bell is listed ahead of him on the depth chart for now but this guy is fragile and always seems to find a way to hurt himself. DET drafted this guy for a reason and will see what he can bring to their offense. After watching some film of Kevin Smith, this guy can shed some tacklers. His running style has even been compared to that of Purple Jesus

nice post udog - def looking at smith as my rb3

Since you said something similar about Chris Johnson, which would you take, when your turn comes up, you're picking your 3rd RB, and they're both on the board?

• 2 weeks later...
I expect big things from this kid. He almost broke Barry Sanders DI single season rushing record last year. He's got soft hands, and as brokenb said, he has a nose for the endzone and plays bigger than he is. He ran out of a zone blocking scheme in college, and the Lions are implementing a similar system so he should adjust quickly. Yeah, Bell is a must as a handcuff, but I don't know if Bell will be a factor (unless god forbid Smith gets injured) for a couple of reasons. Smith is a solid pass blocker already, the kid never fumbles, and Bell has done nothing in his career to warrrant any consideration as an every down back. Bell will get a split in the begining of the season to let the rook get adjusted, but by week 6, Smith will be getting the lions share of the carries. I think reasonable expectations would be 800yds, 5tds, 30rec, 200yds, 2tds. But if things fall into place on the Oline and the D can keep them in games so they dont have to start airing it out in the 3rd quarter, I think he has a ceiling of 1100yds, 7tds, 45rec, 300yds, and 3tds. And thats not a lot to me. I think I'm being conservative and he could pass those marks.

On a side note, I drafted the kid, and had Bell as a handcuff. But then a guy in my league decides that he doesnt think he can compete this year, and decides hes gonna play spoiler this year and rebuild. So hes looking for young talent that will pay dividends next year. He only had 3 players with any value in a ppr dynasty... Brees, Bush, and Gates. So a guy offers him Forte and Phillip Rivers for Brees, and he jumps on it. So I offered him Kevin Smith, Bell, Dwayne Bowe, and Tony Scheffler for Gates and Bush. And he agreed! Needless to say, I'm lovin fantasy life this year. My team is in my sig.

Bell wont even make the fnal roster.

another thing i wanted to add,

gotta remember that the lions will now have a more balanced attack. meaning a good mix of run and pass. calvin johnson and roy williams will rip up opposing secondaries all day. so the lions will be able to move the ball up the field. and not every series will end in a passing TD. just like how the browns used a balanced attack with winslow and edwards. the only reason why jamal lewis was able to get so many red zone plays was because the browns were able to move the ball thanks to the winslow/edwards duo.

i think kevin smith could be a huge steal this year. everyone's all up in mcfadden's balls. but i think kevin smith could have a better year. outside of zach miller, the raiders passing game could be pedestrian. i also like jonathan stewart, but i think he'll be in too much of a time split with deangelo williams. i dont think he'll even break 200 carries. whereas, kevin smith? i think he'll get 250 carries. his only real competition is tatum bell. tatum bell...?

1100 RuYds, 40 catches, 300 RcvgYds, 8 RuTD's, 2 RcvgTD's. that's what i'm hoping for.

i also think calvin johnson will drop 1100 yds, 12 td's. and roy williams, 1200 yds, 6 td's.

The high number of carries he had in collage is a little concerning, but I was at the Lions v. Browns game on Saturday and he looks well, like a rookie running back, he got stuffed a bunch (thanks to Shawn Rodgers, who had a huge game). However, his 35 yard TD catch and run was impressive, the way he broke out of those tackles was really smooth. The best part of that whole run was the block he got from Orlovsky....

Since you said something similar about Chris Johnson, which would you take, when your turn comes up, you're picking your 3rd RB, and they're both on the board?

Very good question and I'm sure Lince will have a good answer. It appears Smith will be starting and Johnson won't as of now, but who knows. The other thing is I think the Titians have a better Offensive line, and if I have to decide between two RB's and it’s close, I like to consider SOS & OL to help me make a wise decision. Of course, pure talent is also considered and always helps in the decision making. I can't give an answer right now and I have till Wednesday to make up my mind if the opportunity presented itself.

another thing i wanted to add,

gotta remember that the lions will now have a more balanced attack. meaning a good mix of run and pass. calvin johnson and roy williams will rip up opposing secondaries all day. so the lions will be able to move the ball up the field. and not every series will end in a passing TD. just like how the browns used a balanced attack with winslow and edwards. the only reason why jamal lewis was able to get so many red zone plays was because the browns were able to move the ball thanks to the winslow/edwards duo.

i think kevin smith could be a huge steal this year. everyone's all up in mcfadden's balls. but i think kevin smith could have a better year. outside of zach miller, the raiders passing game could be pedestrian. i also like jonathan stewart, but i think he'll be in too much of a time split with deangelo williams. i dont think he'll even break 200 carries. whereas, kevin smith? i think he'll get 250 carries. his only real competition is tatum bell. tatum bell...?

1100 RuYds, 40 catches, 300 RcvgYds, 8 RuTD's, 2 RcvgTD's. that's what i'm hoping for.

i also think calvin johnson will drop 1100 yds, 12 td's. and roy williams, 1200 yds, 6 td's.

You from Detroit? lol

no, i'm from southern california.

i'm assuming you don't agree with the numbers.

i'm just saying those are #'s id hope for kevin smith. in other words, his ceiling. but his floor is probably 1,000 yds rushing, 200 yds rcvg, and 6-8 TD's.

yahoo projects kevin smith to have 240 carries, 1100 yards rushing, 180 yards receiving, and 10 total td's.

no, i'm from southern california.

i'm assuming you don't agree with the numbers.

i'm just saying those are #'s id hope for kevin smith. in other words, his ceiling. but his floor is probably 1,000 yds rushing, 200 yds rcvg, and 6-8 TD's.

yahoo projects kevin smith to have 240 carries, 1100 yards rushing, 180 yards receiving, and 10 total td's.

Sorry, just the way you wrote that post reminded of me of my friends who are Lions fans. They tend to overproject stats in bunches. I think Smith is in for an ok season. I won't jump on the bandwagon though until I see some more evidence. The carries that he had and the workload people are projecting make me think he'll be lucky to last 12 weeks. Again, sorry I just found a chuckle in your lumping of your assumptions for Johnson and Williams in a post about Smith. Figured you HAD to be from Detroit.

Archived