NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kevin Smith

Br0kenB

Anyone else out there having good or bad feelings about Smith? Got him as my RB3 in last night's draft.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone else out there having good or bad feelings about Smith? Got him as my RB3 in last night's draft.

I'm also looking for some more opinions on this guy, especially from people who have seen him play so far. I'm working on a 3 way deal to acquire him. Send Felix Jones for Mendenhall, then Mendenhall for Smith.

I'm also looking for some more opinions on this guy, especially from people who have seen him play so far. I'm working on a 3 way deal to acquire him. Send Felix Jones for Mendenhall, then Mendenhall for Smith.

Wow, if you can pull this deal off that is a steal. No way Felix plays a key role for DAL this year. Mendenhall may get goal line carries but Smith is actually guaranteed starter's carries. If you can pull that off you will look like a genius.

Wow, if you can pull this deal off that is a steal. No way Felix plays a key role for DAL this year. Mendenhall may get goal line carries but Smith is actually guaranteed starter's carries. If you can pull that off you will look like a genius.

I agree. He is the starter and should do well this year with the balanced approach that the Lions will be taking now that Martz is gone. With a great reciving game, Smith's chances should be very good to do well. The big question mark is all the carries he had to load last year at UCF. It probably won't be a problem at the beginning of the year, but you might want to think of unloading him after halfway through the year if he is doing well.

I'm from Detroit and watched him in camp this year. Smith looks good. The O-Line is still a work in progress. They are still adjusting to the new zone blocking scheme. I think it will get better as the year goes on but I still think the Lions will throw a fair amount. If Kitna, Williams, and CJ stay healthy they could help keep the pressure off the run game and allow Smith to shine.

I have realistic expectations of about 1,100 total yds. and 6-8 TD's. Those are good RB#3 numbers to me.

Bell is nothing but insurance and Calhoun is on the bubble with Pinner. I don't see anyone stealing carries from Smith as long as he's healthy. Bell and Cason might give him a breather but that's about it.

This article talks about Smith's last performance and the Lions in general. Skip to "Modern times, when the Lions run to win". Here's an excerpt:

Last week, Lions running backs rushed 29 times for 128 yards against the Browns. Good stats, except that two of the runs gained 35 and 40 yards. Set those two plays aside, and Kevin Smith, Brian Calhoun, and the rest rushed 27 times for 53 yards.

You can argue that, all in all, the Lions had a pretty good day running the ball. You can’t just remove the two long runs out of their performance. It was a boom-or-bust day, but there were two booms that led directly to scores. A bunch of the runs came at the end of a 26-6 blowout, when yards are less important than seconds on the clock. Somewhere between the domination suggested by 29-for-128 and the futility of 27-for-53 is a passable performance.

But you can’t argue that a high percentage of those 27 carries that went nowhere were somehow worthwhile. Those 27 carries didn’t wear out the defense to produce the two long runs. They didn’t “establish the run” and force the Browns to play honestly, even acknowledging that it was a preseason game and there wasn’t much heavy game-planning going on.

Those 27 carries were, for the most part, failures. When the Lions drove 53 yards at the start of the game, the rushing game accounted for exactly one yard. When Kevin Smith was given the ball in the red zone on first and second down, the Lions quickly faced a third-and-11. When Smith got the ball on first and second down later in the quarter, it led to third-and-12. Smith’s lone good run of the first quarter came on second-and-1, after a 9-yard catch by Calvin Johnson.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2008/08/2...lkthrough/6492/

Doesn't seem very optimistic about Smith.

That article doesnt even worry me. Everyone should expect the bumps in the road from any rookie RB. He is still trying to adjust to the competition at this level. With WR's like Roy Will and Calvin Johnson, Kevin Smith should see enough holes throughout the year to put up a respectable season. I will continue to target the guy as a RB #3

Doesn't seem very optimistic about Smith.

Damn, I might have reached for him in my first draft... but the author can't just take out the two big plays like that, they happened and they count. I've seen a ton of preseason rushing stats pan out in the exact same fashion, I still have high hopes for Smith.

Yeah, you can't just take out big plays. That's like saying, "if the Yankees didn't hit that grand-slam, the Red Sox would have won." McFadden relied on the big play in college. Some players rely on stuff like that for their stats. The fact that Smith can pull off the "big play" is actually encouraging to me.

Yeah, you can't just take out big plays. That's like saying, "if the Yankees didn't hit that grand-slam, the Red Sox would have won." McFadden relied on the big play in college. Some players rely on stuff like that for their stats. The fact that Smith can pull off the "big play" is actually encouraging to me.

I agree, Rusty. Stats are stats, doesn't matter how they accumulate, ESPECIALLY in fantasy.

On a side note, I drafted the kid, and had Bell as a handcuff. But then a guy in my league decides that he doesnt think he can compete this year, and decides hes gonna play spoiler this year and rebuild. So hes looking for young talent that will pay dividends next year. He only had 3 players with any value in a ppr dynasty... Brees, Bush, and Gates. So a guy offers him Forte and Phillip Rivers for Brees, and he jumps on it. So I offered him Kevin Smith, Bell, Dwayne Bowe, and Tony Scheffler for Gates and Bush. And he agreed! Needless to say, I'm lovin fantasy life this year. My team is in my sig.

I would have kept K.Smith out of it and offered Scheffler and Bowe for Gates

A lot of drafts I've seen this year have 2-3 QB's and 1 WR in the first round. Crazy stuff this year.

I'm one of the "crazies" you are refering to. There were just NO RB's available that deserved a 1st or 2nd round pick in my 2keeper league.

I ended up taking Smith with my 3:11 pick and grabbed Chris Johnson with the turnaround 4:2.

I don't have RB1 expectations of him, but he looked to be the BA.

I hope you guys are right about his projections.

Lynch

Addai

Tomlinson

SJax

Gore

Westbrook

Portis

MBIII

Grant

Larry Johnson

Jamal Lewis

Edge

Forte

Turner

....and Kevin Smith

By my count, there are only 15 every-down RBs in the league with no hint of RBBC. Forte and Turner play on awful teams, so they barely belong in this discussion. Even Edge may not belong in the group. Smith is a full time back on a team with some serious talent on offense. That passing game certainly draws respect from opponents. I see Smith as an outstanding value with more RB1 potential than most of the RBBC guys drafted ahead of him.

The timing on your post is most curious, my friend.

Did you not see the news about the Rudi Johnson signing?

yes, the rudi news is disconcerting...

i havent been that high on smith because i simply don't think he's that good, and he's on a bad team, but the fact that he was simply locked in to getting carries was causing me to draft him in a couple leagues where i had no other alternatives.... but at the very least you would imagine rudi would get short yardage carries...

by the way, does it seem crazy for people to be concerned about him having too many carries in COLLEGE last year? i mean, he only played 11 or 12 games, and he wasnt getting hit by nfl defenses.....its not like he played a full nfl season or something...

yes, the rudi news is disconcerting...

i havent been that high on smith because i simply don't think he's that good, and he's on a bad team, but the fact that he was simply locked in to getting carries was causing me to draft him in a couple leagues where i had no other alternatives.... but at the very least you would imagine rudi would get short yardage carries...

by the way, does it seem crazy for people to be concerned about him having too many carries in COLLEGE last year? i mean, he only played 11 or 12 games, and he wasnt getting hit by nfl defenses.....its not like he played a full nfl season or something...

He didn't play in the SEC either. It doesn't bother me about his carries.

I'm really hoping this doesn't become a 60/40 split (or even worse). I sure hope Rudi tweaks something, lol.

Lynch

Addai

Tomlinson

SJax

Gore

Westbrook

Portis

MBIII

Grant

Larry Johnson

Jamal Lewis

Edge

Forte

Turner

....and Kevin Smith

By my count, there are only 15 every-down RBs in the league with no hint of RBBC. Forte and Turner play on awful teams, so they barely belong in this discussion. Even Edge may not belong in the group. Smith is a full time back on a team with some serious talent on offense. That passing game certainly draws respect from opponents. I see Smith as an outstanding value with more RB1 potential than most of the RBBC guys drafted ahead of him.

I don't think Edge, Forte, or Turner belong on the list. I think Edge will lose more carries to Hightower as the season goes on, if KJ stays healthy he will steal a bunch of carries from the rookie Forte, and Turner will probably lose carries to Norwood.

There just aren't many true #1 RB's anymore. I have Smith as my #3 RB so I hope Rudi can't keep his hamstring loose all year.

The timing on your post is most curious, my friend.

Did you not see the news about the Rudi Johnson signing?

I am well aware of Rudi. I just do not consider him much of a threat. He cannot stay healthy enough to be anything more than a backup. Even when healthy Rudi has no breakaway speed, and is not slippery enough to find his own holes. Only way Rudi can be productive is if the line is opening big holes. If that is happening, Smith will also be successful and would probably take those runs even further than Rudi due to his speed. What I am saying is that Rudi will only see significant time if Smith is failing, and if conditions are such that Smith is not getting it done (i.e. poor blocking), then Rudi will be no better. I do not see a committee situation here.

I drafted Smith in the 5th on Sunday, and I'm considering using my #1 waiver on Rudi. Not that I think Rudi will steal alot of carries, but if Smith doesn't play well the first couple weeks or gets hurt I'm thinking Rudi may start to get the ball alot more.

Archived