NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kevin Smith

Br0kenB

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lack of production on his carries (16 carries, 48 yards) worries me. The 4 catches for 32 yards was excellent, as was the fact he was in on both goal line plays. The first time resulted in a rushing TD, and the second time resulted in a passing TD off of playaction. Given Rudi was specifically taken out for Smith on the 2nd time, that is very promising.

I think the passing attack will allow him a decent amount of TDs, and his involvement in the passing game is huge. I think he should be a solid RB2 this year.

I'm trying to move him and Vinny Jackson for MJD... I don't like the numbers he put up minus the td

let's see smith non platoon player vs. mjd platoon player. i think i will take the non platoon player all day long. mjd may be fun to say but in fantasy he isn't that fun to own. you can't exclude his td on sunday because he got one, how did mjd do on sunday?

let's see smith non platoon player vs. mjd platoon player. i think i will take the non platoon player all day long. mjd may be fun to say but in fantasy he isn't that fun to own. you can't exclude his td on sunday because he got one, how did mjd do on sunday?

What you so coveniently forgot to mention was the fact that Smith will be in a platoon once Rudi is up to speed, you also forgot to mention that Detriot is a pass happy team, and based off how they looked they will be trailing. As compared to a team that is tailored to the run. MJD got stuffed at the 1, he gets that in him and Smith have nearly identical numbers. I like how you try to sound smug as if someone was comparing MJD to LT or something. Rudi wasn't brought in to stay on the bench.

What you so coveniently forgot to mention was the fact that Smith will be in a platoon once Rudi is up to speed, you also forgot to mention that Detriot is a pass happy team, and based off how they looked they will be trailing. As compared to a team that is tailored to the run. MJD got stuffed at the 1, he gets that in him and Smith have nearly identical numbers. I like how you try to sound smug as if someone was comparing MJD to LT or something. Rudi wasn't brought in to stay on the bench.

Kevin Smith and Rudi platoon will be a 20/10 split

MJD and FT will be 15/15

Rudi replaced Tatum Bell on Detroit's roster. Detroit is only carrying 2 RBs, and Tatum Bell has proven incapable of doing anything at this point in his career. Rudi struggled through 2007 with bad hamstrings, was further limited by his hamstrings this preseason, and looked very slow on Sunday. Not only that, but Rudi is now running behind a different blocking scheme, and he's not a zone blocking type of RB. Honestly, I don't know why Detroit signed him other than just to have a backup with some sort of past success on the roster. If you think Rudi is anything more than a strict backup for Kevin Smith, then you're sorely mistaken. Don't let Rudi's past success trick you into thinking that he's a theat to Kevin Smith.

Smith specifically replaced Rudi on a drive at the goal line, Smith will be involved in the passing game, Detroit will be trailing more often than not. Kevin Smith will be the primary RB for the Lions this season.

Ok...reading from the bold print...

It's a fact that Smith will be in a platoon once Rudi is up to speed? And you know this as fact...how?

Detroit is a pass happy team? Really?? this is because...??? The ghost of Mike Martz is still on the sideline?

MJD got stuffed at the 1...otherwise....blah...blah...blah.... FACT...MJD got stuffed at the 1. Didn't score. Nada. No TD. No need to speculate...because he actually got stuffed at the 1. Like he did plenty of times last year.

FACT: K. Smith is a starting RB. MJD is not.

Ok...reading from the bold print...

It's a fact that Smith will be in a platoon once Rudi is up to speed? And you know this as fact...how?

Detroit is a pass happy team? Really?? this is because...??? The ghost of Mike Martz is still on the sideline?

MJD got stuffed at the 1...otherwise....blah...blah...blah.... FACT...MJD got stuffed at the 1. Didn't score. Nada. No TD. No need to speculate...because he actually got stuffed at the 1. Like he did plenty of times last year.

FACT: K. Smith is a starting RB. MJD is not.

if you don't see the writing on the wall with the rudi signing and smith struggling vs a weak atl D on sunday, you're deluding yourself... also, i think it's safe to say that MJD has proven that he has a nose for the endzone... the jags losing 3 olinemen to injury on sunday may have something to do with MJD and fred struggling... smith doesn't sniff the endzone if he's playing the ten dline

i hope you're no insinuating that smith > MJD

if you don't see the writing on the wall with the rudi signing and smith struggling vs a weak atl D on sunday, you're deluding yourself... also, i think it's safe to say that MJD has proven that he has a nose for the endzone... the jags losing 3 olinemen to injury on sunday may have something to do with MJD and fred struggling... smith doesn't sniff the endzone if he's playing the ten dline

Marinelli has repeatedly stated that he wants to run the ball. He's trying but the problem isn't the backs it's the o-line. They haven't grasped the zone blocking scheme.

It may not matter if the defense is getting lit up. They'll be forced to abandon the run. Even if Rudi is up to speed he's never been known for his receiving. If things continue this way Smith will play more and produce more than Rudi.

if you don't see the writing on the wall with the rudi signing and smith struggling vs a weak atl D on sunday, you're deluding yourself...

The only writing on the wall of that signing was about Tatum Bell's future with the team, not Smith's.

Don't try and paint Rudi as a superstar who will inevitably take over the starting role. It makes *you* look delusional.

I won't insinuate...SMITH > mjd... This year... Rudi is a backup/relief runner for smith and lucky to be that. MJD is a great runner but his entire starting oline is injured and he is in full fledged rbbc. Jags = screwed. Advantage smith... again... this year.

A power back with never succeed in Detroit as long as the Lions don't make changes to their offensive line. Kitna is sacked in every other dropback and it's not his fault. Rudi will prove to be a worthless pick for Detroit. Smith, although not a great option, is still decent as your 3RB/flex. He'll rarely have 100 yd games but will toughen out 60-70 rushing and 40-50 receiving a maybe 6-8 TDs all year (a TD every other week). I'll take that. Smith is a much better option in PPR leagues. He reminds me very much of a healthy Kevin Jones.

Marinelli has repeatedly stated that he wants to run the ball. He's trying but the problem isn't the backs it's the o-line. They haven't grasped the zone blocking scheme.

It may not matter if the defense is getting lit up. They'll be forced to abandon the run. Even if Rudi is up to speed he's never been known for his receiving. If things continue this way Smith will play more and produce more than Rudi.

he was talking about the running game in general, not kevin smith specifically... i have no doubt that smith will start and get the most carries in detroit, but rudi's going to receive enough carries to effect smith's production...

The only writing on the wall of that signing was about Tatum Bell's future with the team, not Smith's.

Don't try and paint Rudi as a superstar who will inevitably take over the starting role. It makes *you* look delusional.

first, rudi is only 1 season and a game removed from being an all pro, so he kinda was a superstar in cincy... but that's besides the point i'm trying to make...

the writing on the wall is that detroit will be employing an RBBC this season... smith will likely start and get the higher percentage of the carries, but rudi will get enough to eat into smith's projected production as the workhorse back...

oreo no one was trying to sound smug, i was merely pointing out that smith is the starter and in most leagues that is more valuable than a guy that is splitting time. last year when marshawn lynch was a rookie i am sure you would have taken mjd over him, well i would have not. i would have taken lynch all day long, and by the end of the season i would have been correct in doing so, i just hate to see someone make the mistake of giving up a solid starting running back for a player in a rbbc. i will agree mjd has homerun potential but how many times does that get flexed in a game, last week none. give me the starter all day. i need guaranteed carries not maybe 6 and hope he busts one for 80 yards and a score. i want a plugger. plug and play and watch him plug away.

first, rudi is only 1 season and a game removed from being an all pro, so he kinda was a superstar in cincy... but that's besides the point i'm trying to make...

the writing on the wall is that detroit will be employing an RBBC this season... smith will likely start and get the higher percentage of the carries, but rudi will get enough to eat into smith's projected production as the workhorse back...

Your Rudi delusions run deeper than I suspected...either that, or your math skills are a little rusty. Rudi Johnson's one and only Pro Bowl appearance was in 2004.

Rudi is quite obviously in decline. If finishing a season with 2.9 ypc and then being cut by a team with no quality RBs isn't 'writing on the wall' that your career is nearing its conclusion, I don't know what is. You may be right about him becoming part of a RBBC in Detroit, but IMO that would be a waste of touches.

Wow, you guys talked me into keeping Smith... I'm officially drinking the kool-aid! I did just get an offer asking Smith and Vinny Jax for Earnest Graham. I like Smith, but Detroit is just such a dysfuntional franchise I don't know what to expect from them!

Your Rudi delusions run deeper than I suspected...either that, or your math skills are a little rusty. Rudi Johnson's one and only Pro Bowl appearance was in 2004.

Rudi is quite obviously in decline. If finishing a season with 2.9 ypc and then being cut by a team with no quality RBs isn't 'writing on the wall' that your career is nearing its conclusion, I don't know what is. You may be right about him becoming part of a RBBC in Detroit, but IMO that would be a waste of touches.

in 2006 rudi produced 1433 total yds with 12 tds... he wasn't an all pro, but those are all pro numbers anyway you look at it

i have no delusions about rudi... i agree that he's currently on the wrong side of the hill in terms of his career, but detroit didn't pick him off waivers and absorb his contract to sit him on the bench (key words in bold).... my argument isn't that rudi > smith or even that rudi is any good... all i'm saying is rudi will get significant work behind smith so everyone needs to temper their expectations for the rookie... with all the talk of me being delusional, you seem to agree with me about this...

in regards to rudi being waived by cincy... more than perry, watson or dorsey being significantly better options than rudi, it was more of a cost-savings move on cincy's part... why pay rudi on the downside of his career, when they already have perry (who they have high expectations for) , watson (who proved to be a more than servicable back last season), and dorsey (an up and comer)... this also explains why cincy reach out to gauge shaun alexander's interest before season since alexander can be picked up much cheaper at the veteran minimum now that the season has started

Archived