NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kevin Smith

Br0kenB

Just because Rudi has a big contract doesn't mean he automatically becomes starter or sees significant PT. After week 2 I think we will have a better feel for the mess that is the Detroit Lions. If Smith produced and Johnson does not I see no reason to beleive Johnson will eat into Smith's carries. The job is Smith's to lose IMO.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
in regards to rudi being waived by cincy... more than perry, watson or dorsey being significantly better options than rudi, it was more of a cost-savings move on cincy's part... why pay rudi on the downside of his career, when they already have perry (who they have high expectations for) , watson (who proved to be a more than servicable back last season), and dorsey (an up and comer)... this also explains why cincy reach out to gauge shaun alexander's interest before season since alexander can be picked up much cheaper at the veteran minimum now that the season has started

Did it ever occur to you that Cincy would have kept Rudi if they thought he could produce for the team?

Did it ever occur to you that Cincy would have kept Rudi if they thought he could produce for the team?

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner folks!

Rudi is insurance. Look at it this way....anybody is better insurance than Taco Bell. He sucked so the Lions cut him and jumped on Rudi when he was cut. Smith is the starter and Johnson will spell him.

Rudi is not going to make a big comeback in Detroit. The Lions didn't draft Smith to sit behind a washed up veteran.

Wow, the guy trying to say that Rudi will have a big effect on Smith's touches is completely wrong. Did you notice how Smith was getting goal line carries. If you need any more proof look at how the carries were split up week 1. Yea, Rudi will have no effect on Smith's touches, period. Start Kevin Smith with confidence. He will get the start once again in my flex spot.

Just because Rudi has a big contract doesn't mean he automatically becomes starter or sees significant PT. After week 2 I think we will have a better feel for the mess that is the Detroit Lions. If Smith produced and Johnson does not I see no reason to beleive Johnson will eat into Smith's carries. The job is Smith's to lose IMO.

i never said rudi would start, but i do believe that detroit is headed for a full-blown RBBC once rudi is up to speed with the offense... also smith didn't help himself this past sunday vs a pretty bad ATL D

i never said rudi would start, but i do believe that detroit is headed for a full-blown RBBC once rudi is up to speed with the offense... also smith didn't help himself this past sunday vs a pretty bad ATL D

Haha, yea DET drafted Smith in the 3rd rd just to sign Rudi and turn this into a RBBC. Are you kidding yourself? They drafted the guy for a reason and watch Smith continue to get the majority of the touches.

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner folks!

Rudi is insurance. Look at it this way....anybody is better insurance than Taco Bell. He sucked so the Lions cut him and jumped on Rudi when he was cut. Smith is the starter and Johnson will spell him.

Rudi is not going to make a big comeback in Detroit. The Lions didn't draft Smith to sit behind a washed up veteran.

if detroit was strictly looking for insurance, they would've waited until the season started so they could sign someone for the vet minimum (which is probably what they intended all along by retaining only 2 rbs after the final cuts)... but instead, they got first crack at rudi immediately after he was waived and signed him after putting rudi through 1 workout (they didn't let him visit another team since there were other interested teams like houston)...

Wow, the guy trying to say that Rudi will have a big effect on Smith's touches is completely wrong. Did you notice how Smith was getting goal line carries. If you need any more proof look at how the carries were split up week 1. Yea, Rudi will have no effect on Smith's touches, period. Start Kevin Smith with confidence. He will get the start once again in my flex spot.

rudi wasn't even with the team for a week before the 1st game... detroit had no choice but to use smith as a workhorse since rudi was not up the speed with the offense...

this is what i'm talking about where people are being delusional (see bolded statement above)

rudi wasn't even with the team for a week before the 1st game... detroit had no choice but to use smith as a workhorse since rudi was not up the speed with the offense...

this is what i'm talking about where people are being delusional (see bolded statement above)

Get serious, please. There has been to talk about this from the DET coaches. Kevin Smith will be the horse for them this season. Rudi is a bum, period. There is a reason why CIN cut this guy and went with an unproven backfield in both Watson and Perry. Please, go and convice someone else with this nonsense

Haha, yea DET drafted Smith in the 3rd rd just to sign Rudi and turn this into a RBBC. Are you kidding yourself? They drafted the guy for a reason and watch Smith continue to get the majority of the touches.

B)

because he's a 3rd rounder, there's no chance for a RBBC??? at least chris johnson was a 1st rounder

i agree, that smith will start and get the "majority" of the touches... but majority to me is a 60-40% split... which is enough to effect anyone's projections for smith

B)

because he's a 3rd rounder, there's no chance for a RBBC??? at least chris johnson was a 1st rounder

i agree, that smith will start and get the "majority" of the touches... but majority to me is a 60-40% split... which is enough to effect anyone's projections for smith

Not even close. The touches between Smith and Rudi will be like 70-30 or 80-20. Rudi stinks and is about 2-3 years removed from being good. He is done and I believe Week 1 will be about the amt of touches Rudi will see. 5-8 carries and thats it.

Get serious, please. There has been to talk about this from the DET coaches. Kevin Smith will be the horse for them this season. Rudi is a bum, period. There is a reason why CIN cut this guy and went with an unproven backfield in both Watson and Perry. Please, go and convice someone else with this nonsense

first, the coaches never said smith would be the workhorse... they only mentioned that they wanted to rely more on the running game than the past few years... 2nd, rudi may be a bum, but he's a bum that detroit decided was worth the remaining salary on his contract.... something cincy didn't believe... sorry but watson is proven (see last year) and perry was always seen as rudi's eventual successor

if detroit was strictly looking for insurance, they would've waited until the season started so they could sign someone for the vet minimum (which is probably what they intended all along by retaining only 2 rbs after the final cuts)... but instead, they got first crack at rudi immediately after he was waived and signed him after putting rudi through 1 workout (they didn't let him visit another team since there were other interested teams like houston)...

Your problem is that you don't understand the mind of Matt Millen. I live in MI so I have studied him carefully. News Flash....Matt Millen does things that make no sense all the time!

HaHaHaHaHa.... B)

I agree Rudi will get some touches but I still think he's on the decline.

first, the coaches never said smith would be the workhorse... they only mentioned that they wanted to rely more on the running game than the past few years... 2nd, rudi may be a bum, but he's a bum that detroit decided was worth the remaining salary on his contract.... something cincy didn't believe... sorry but watson is proven (see last year) and perry was always seen as rudi's eventual successor

I never said CIN's rbs were any good. I just simply said they were so fed up with Rudi they decided to go with a pair of unproven backs.

We will see how many touches Rudi gets week 2. I am more than confident that Rudi will not play a significiant role while Smith will be a big part of this offense this season. You dont draft the guy so high only to put him in a RBBC. Det will see what Smith can bring to the table

Not even close. The touches between Smith and Rudi will be like 70-30 or 80-20. Rudi stinks and is about 2-3 years removed from being good. He is done and I believe Week 1 will be about the amt of touches Rudi will see. 5-8 carries and thats it.

rudi is 1 year and 1 game removed from being good (this is a fact)... i agree with everyone that rudi is a shell of his former self but let's give credit where it is due

if rudi only gets 20% of the carries and sees 5-8 carries/game, how many carries does smith get?

also, can i ask you a question? are you a smith owner?

Your problem is that you don't understand the mind of Matt Millen. I live in MI so I have studied him carefully. News Flash....Matt Millen does things that make no sense all the time!

HaHaHaHaHa.... B)

I agree Rudi will get some touches but I still think he's on the decline.

millen acquires players... maranelli is the coach and decides who plays how much... in all honesty, millen was the one who jumped all over rudi when he became available, and is probably the one who wants him to see the field

but, you're right, maybe millen is a crazy SOB, and he decided to take on a bum with a large contract just to sit him on the bench... maybe it was a ploy to motivate smith :)

I never said CIN's rbs were any good. I just simply said they were so fed up with Rudi they decided to go with a pair of unproven backs.

We will see how many touches Rudi gets week 2. I am more than confident that Rudi will not play a significiant role while Smith will be a big part of this offense this season. You dont draft the guy so high only to put him in a RBBC. Det will see what Smith can bring to the table

several 1st round rbs are drafted only to be placed in a RBBC... and in some cases, they don't even see the field their rookie year... there are plenty of 1st round rbs from this year's draft who are either in a RBBC on their team or simply a backup to the veteren incumbant... in detroit's case, things worked out the opposite way... they drafted a rookie but picked up a proven veteran

btw, smith was a 3rd round draft pick! guess how many rbs were picked before him?

Using the management decisions of the Bengals to prove a point that Rudi is not fit to be a starting RB is pretty worthless. They haven't really made the best personnel decision lately. They used him more as a scapegoat for why their running game is awful instead of looking at their O-Line imo.

in 2006 rudi produced 1433 total yds with 12 tds... he wasn't an all pro, but those are all pro numbers anyway you look at it

i have no delusions about rudi... i agree that he's currently on the wrong side of the hill in terms of his career, but detroit didn't pick him off waivers and absorb his contract to sit him on the bench (key words in bold).... my argument isn't that rudi > smith or even that rudi is any good... all i'm saying is rudi will get significant work behind smith so everyone needs to temper their expectations for the rookie... with all the talk of me being delusional, you seem to agree with me about this...

in regards to rudi being waived by cincy... more than perry, watson or dorsey being significantly better options than rudi, it was more of a cost-savings move on cincy's part... why pay rudi on the downside of his career, when they already have perry (who they have high expectations for) , watson (who proved to be a more than servicable back last season), and dorsey (an up and comer)... this also explains why cincy reach out to gauge shaun alexander's interest before season since alexander can be picked up much cheaper at the veteran minimum now that the season has started

Well, sorry for calling you delusional, but you used the term first and were saying things that seemed to suggest you thought Rudi was some sort of perennial star coming in to steal the job away from K Smith. I think we agree more than we disagree. Rudi will probably get more touches than he merits, I agree. I doubt many owners took Smith thinking he was going to carry it 300+ times, though. The backup carries are just going to a different guy now that they have Rudi instead of Looney Tunes.

Oh, about the 'absorb his contract' line...not sure what you mean by that. Rudi was *released* and signed as a FA, 1-year deal just over $1 mil. The Lions didn't pick up any kind of existing contract. And as you know, $1 MM is peanuts for a pro athlete in this era.

Using the management decisions of the Bengals to prove a point that Rudi is not fit to be a starting RB is pretty worthless. They haven't really made the best personnel decision lately. They used him more as a scapegoat for why their running game is awful instead of looking at their O-Line imo.

Do I really need to post his season rushing stats? I wont because I believe you can do that type of research yourself. The guy is not worth a starting spot in this league. Look at his #'s yourself. When you have an offense loaded with CJ and Housh. You should easily average 4-5 ypc. Defenses will not stack the box on you when your team is loaded with offensive weapons like that. Rudi is simply past his prime. End of story. Back up your statements with some facts

several 1st round rbs are drafted only to be placed in a RBBC... and in some cases, they don't even see the field their rookie year... there are plenty of 1st round rbs from this year's draft who are either in a RBBC on their team or simply a backup to the veteren incumbant... in detroit's case, things worked out the opposite way... they drafted a rookie but picked up a proven veteran

btw, smith was a 3rd round draft pick! guess how many rbs were picked before him?

What does it matter if Kevin Smith is on my fantasy team? I have been touting the kid since the beginning of the season. Look at page 1-2 of this thread. The guy has talent and if you dont think so look what he did at Central Florida. You can tell me he didnt play anyone good but the 2 bigger programs he did play in Texas and NC ST., he dominated those 2 opponents.

With your type of thinking Michael Turner was also a late rd draft pick. What does this matter? You can draft good RB's later in drafts. I could care less where the guy was drafted. You remember what rd Tom Brady was picked in?

in 2006 rudi produced 1433 total yds with 12 tds... he wasn't an all pro, but those are all pro numbers anyway you look at it

i have no delusions about rudi... i agree that he's currently on the wrong side of the hill in terms of his career, but detroit didn't pick him off waivers and absorb his contract to sit him on the bench (key words in bold).... my argument isn't that rudi > smith or even that rudi is any good... all i'm saying is rudi will get significant work behind smith so everyone needs to temper their expectations for the rookie... with all the talk of me being delusional, you seem to agree with me about this...

Yes they did. In fact that's exactly what they did. They believed Rudi was a better player at an even lower salary than their current backup. Rudi was signed to replace Bell, not Smith. Only way he gets more than 10 carries in any game will be if Smith gets hurt. Smith will challenge Forte for most carries among the rookies.

also, can i ask you a question? are you a smith owner?

I can't stand this attempt to cut down someone's argument. Now that's hardly a personal attack at you, but you're obviously someone who uses it as well. Who cares if he's a Smith owner? If he is, that means he drafted him believing in him. That's why you own almost every player on your roster(s), too. I own him in one league, and I still drafted him after Rudi Johnson was signed. I did this because I don't believe Rudi is a threat to his carries. Once again, the Lions had NOTHING behind Smith, and they're still only carrying 2 RBs. Rudi is there to spell Smith and back him up, not steal his job.

Archived