NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kevin Smith

Br0kenB

bumping due to the latest news posted:

Lions RB Rudi Johnson is expected to see an increased role this week.

"He had a good week this week, so we're encouraged that we'll be able to use him more and more," coach Rod Marinelli said. Local beats expect that Johnson's role will increase, but Kevin Smith will remain the starter.

Source: Detroit News

Looks like a rbbc is brewing to me...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"He had a good week this week, so we're encouraged that we'll be able to use him more and more," coach Rod Marinelli said. Local beats expect that Johnson's role will increase, but Kevin Smith will remain the starter.

Marinelli is an idiot.

There's no committee brewing. They do want to increase Rudi's workload beyond the 3 carries (and only 7 snaps) he had last week. They can't keep the rookie on the field for 50 snaps and expect him to hold up all year. Smith will continue getting 20-25 touches on 40-45 snaps, with Rudi spelling him for 5-10 carries on around 15 snaps. Smith is the (much) better player, and they know it, and they don't want him burned out or hurt. They also need to be sure Rudi is ready if Smith ever does get hurt. They certainly don't trust any other RBs.

the writing on the wall is that detroit will be employing an RBBC this season... smith will likely start and get the higher percentage of the carries, but rudi will get enough to eat into smith's projected production as the workhorse back...

Smith didn't do much, but considering Rudi had 1 carry for 2 yards today, that writing is looking rather faint.

I thought he got hurt.

I don't see any news update on him?

EDIT: Ah...now I see it in the injury thread. Lovely. Westbrook and Smith lost today. Great. Just perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

On losing his starting job:

Rookie running back Kevin Smith has been told that he's lost his starting running back job to veteran Rudi Johnson and Smith isn't happy about it.

"Personally, I don't like it. I think I should be playing a lot more. But it's all about winning,'' Smith said.

"I've got a new attitude. I went home at the break and got a new attitude, I'm just going to get me better. Now I'm going to work on getting myself better every day and try, not the impossible, but I've got the mindset that I'm going to try to hit a home run on every play now. I might only get one carry. If I only get one carry, I've got to make it count.''

In three games this season, Smith had 29 carries for 102 yards (3.5-yard average) and scored one touchdown. Johnson, who was signed at the end of training camp, has 18 carries for 99 yards (5.5-yard average).

"It's nothing against Rudi, he's a good back. If you want to play him, play him,'' Smith said. "But when my number's called, I'm going to perform, bottom line.

"I'm good. I can make as many plays as anybody on this offense. Anybody. We'll see what happens.''

Smith said he's not going to let the demotion get him down.

"I'm not going to lose because I'm not competing. I refuse to let anybody be better than me,'' he said. "You know what the funny thing is? I always start up from the bottom. I did it in high school and when I got to Central Florida. I had to work my way up. The cream of the crop always rises and eventually the story will be told.''

Well, I certainly put my foot in my mouth. Rudi obviously was a huge threat to Smith's carries, and he has officially stolen the job.

I know Smith's numbers were not good, but seriously, was he really the problem? This team is going nowhere. Why not just let the rookie learn on the go? I could understand if Detroit was an experienced RB away from a playoff birth, but they're not. Then again this is Detroit's decision making we're talking about. B)

Well, I certainly put my foot in my mouth. Rudi obviously was a huge threat to Smith's carries, and he has officially stolen the job.

I know Smith's numbers were not good, but seriously, was he really the problem? This team is going nowhere. Why not just let the rookie learn on the go? I could understand if Detroit was an experienced RB away from a playoff birth, but they're not. Then again this is Detroit's decision making we're talking about. :)

Marinelli is playing for his job; he doesnt care lol B)

I find it funny how when people said Rudi was a threat people got defensive and downright rude (not everyone but a very vocal minority). I think Smith will earn the job back but it to be honest I don't think it matters who starts at rb for this team, they will be playing from behind and will abandon the run regardless of the rb anyway.

I find it funny how when people said Rudi was a threat people got defensive and downright rude (not everyone but a very vocal minority). I think Smith will earn the job back but it to be honest I don't think it matters who starts at rb for this team, they will be playing from behind and will abandon the run regardless of the rb anyway.

I feel that some of us just strongly felt that Rudi looked done and that the Lions had nothing to lose by letting Kevin Smith keep the starting job.

Rudi broke many hearts last year in the fantasy world. Broken hearted fantasy owners are worse than a woman scorned. I am a Kevin Smith owner and a fan of his college body of work but I must admit to being humbled by Rudi's claim of the throne. I still believe Smith will be back with a vengeance just wish it was this week instead of weeks into the future.

I am a Smith owner, and when Rudi signed with Detroit I picked him up, you know, just in case. Bengal backs tend to have a habit of doing well once they get out of Cincy. Inevitably Smith will get the job back if for no other reason than Rudi can't catch passes out of the backfield, and this team will be behind so much and passing so much that he'll be a liability. For now though I'll probably start Rudi on favorable matchups which will be few and far between, and bye weeks.

Kevin Smith will get his job back. I saw this guy run in college and he has fantasy stud written all over him. He just needs to get more than 3 carries a game, and he is still adjusting to the NFL. Plus that Offensive Line isn't doing him any favors. Look for K. Smith to get his job back by week 7 at the latest. Rudi is old and too injury prone with hamstring to be counted on as the starter for the Lions.

I'm about ready to drop him. Talented or not, he's in a terrible situation with no OL, a defense that always makes them abandon the run, and a vet stealing carries. I don't think this is this year. Heath Miller has a bye in week 6, and if Shockey is still out I'll probably drop Smith and get another TE. That's saying how much I think of him this year, I'd rather drop him to hang on to 2 TEs.

Well this is what I think of Kevin Smith:

- I thought highly enough of him to draft him and Rudi Johnson back to back in my draft (I was the 10th pick in a 10 team league so I had the final pick in one round and the first pick in the next)

- I dropped Rudi Johnson after he was cut from the Bengals

- I picked Rudi Johnson up immediately after the Lions signed him, and held on to K. Smith

- I dropped K. Smith this week.

IMHO rookies get one shot to impress a coach in a system, and he was given that shot. Now I understand their OL sucks and the Lions have been playing from behind frequently which causes teams to abandon the run. In any case, he hasn't done anything to warrant excitement about his future on this team which disappoints me because I was high on him going into the season.

I just hope Rudi Johnson doesn't leave his bags lying around the Lions locker room!!!

I'm about ready to drop him. Talented or not, he's in a terrible situation with no OL, a defense that always makes them abandon the run, and a vet stealing carries. I don't think this is this year. Heath Miller has a bye in week 6, and if Shockey is still out I'll probably drop Smith and get another TE. That's saying how much I think of him this year, I'd rather drop him to hang on to 2 TEs.

I'm really close to dropping him for D. Ward or F. Jackson, as well. He's not gunna produce this year.

Hidden
would u drop him for torian? its seems its back to the hot hand deal-dumb

I don't think I'd drop him for Torain right now, since he's at least a month away from coming back. If in a couple weeks Smith is still doing nothing then maybe.

Archived