NBC Sports Edge Forums

Anthony Santander 2020 Outlook

• tonycpsu changed the title to Anthony Santander 2020 Outlook
39 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Santander came out of nowhere in 2019 to provide some good power numbers.  Can he repeat in 2020, does he improve on those numbers?

I think he can repeat, can he improve, that all depends on the team around him, with Villar gone, and god knows who else, it's hard to say, but I like him going forward, I liked him in 2018 as well, it just took until 2019 for him to break out.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Awful OBP.

That's the thing for me. He's an accumulator and could be very useful to some people, but I'm not one of them for this reason.

Not familiar enough with him as a player to diagnose or predict anything, but for what it's worth his OBP and BB% especially seem likely to regress positively. Not to anything wild, but he's sitting on a sub-2% walk rate (which is sadly only slightly less than half his career numbers) and a BABIP which is ~.03-.05 lower than average. Meanwhile, his ISO and SLG are at career levels and his average is holding, so you have to think he's got the potential to be even steadier and more productive. 

He's one of those guys that will end up in the top 100-150 when the season is over without most people realizing it. 

16 minutes ago, Macgregor said:

That's the thing for me. He's an accumulator and could be very useful to some people, but I'm not one of them for this reason.

Not familiar enough with him as a player to diagnose or predict anything, but for what it's worth his OBP and BB% especially seem likely to regress positively. Not to anything wild, but he's sitting on a sub-2% walk rate (which is sadly only slightly less than half his career numbers) and a BABIP which is ~.03-.05 lower than average. Meanwhile, his ISO and SLG are at career levels and his average is holding, so you have to think he's got the potential to be even steadier and more productive. 

He's one of those guys that will end up in the top 100-150 when the season is over without most people realizing it. 

1.6% walk rate.  Wow, that's Dee Gordon level bad.  Some room for improvement, obviously, but yea, it was only 6.2% in AAA, so we shouldn't expect anything in the double digits.  At least he doesn't strike out much, 13.1% (21.2% last year).

Where's the love for this guy? I get that he has his knocks but he keeps mashing HR's and getting RBI's. I don't know much about him because I rarely watch O's ball, but i'm going to make a run for him on waivers. If I get him I will report what I'm seeing. 

• Like 2

Strike out rate down to 12% compared to 21% last year. Also line drives increased 17%-28% and ground balls decreased 39%-27%. Soft contact down 19%-13% and hard contact up 38%-43%. Also swinging at more pitches in the zone (69% last year 80% this year) and hasn’t seen an increase in swings in misses yet. And as seen above the quality in contact has gone up this year. .293/.575/.373 xba/xslg/xwoba vs .281/.629/.375 actual.
I know this is a small sample size so statcast/fangraphs advanced stats can make anyone look good/horrible but he’s only 25 years old so these improvements could be real. All of the indicators back up his improvement so I’m in. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, bradwatson said:

Guy just rakes. #13 overall in my roto OPS league. This year's winning lottery ticket?

I watched his first two ABs last night and his last one (missed the GIDP) - I know it’s super SSS, but I’m honestly surprised his batting average isn’t higher. He was seeing the ball incredibly well, fouling off tough pitches, and using the middle and oppo for hits. I’m excited to watch him more knowing that he can do that and the power swing turning on balls. 

All Aboard!!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So, he's really cooled off. Is the magic over or is it a slump?

He's getting absolutely abused early in counts by high fastballs and then either getting put away by them or succumbing to down n' dirty breaking balls. 

Edited by aapox
23 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Looks like the ride is over..

Indeed. Great ride though. Way better than expected at first...then a little ho-hum, but all in all would go on again. It'll be interesting to see how he does next year. The extra base hit capability is incredible, but I watched him through some maddening at bats. He'll need to work on getting up on the high fastball or taking it. That was the weakness they exploited. Too many popups and strikeouts in big moments.

Yeah this sucks  big time. With so many players struggling I'm sure like me he was a major contributor on our teams. Hope he comes back strong next season, wish Yahoo would switch him to IL status, he still shows DTD.

16 minutes ago, tonywow said:

Yeah this sucks  big time. With so many players struggling I'm sure like me he was a major contributor on our teams. Hope he comes back strong next season, wish Yahoo would switch him to IL status, he still shows DTD.

I imagine that the'll have that changed by the end of the day, but if you're needing an add today and you can, I think it's safe to drop him. Not only do these injuries linger, but he was coming back to earth the last 2 weeks already.

30 minutes ago, tonywow said:

Yahoo has him on the IL now. 

• Like 1