NBC Sports Edge Forums

Taijuan Walker 2020 Outlook

4 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I believe this shortened season, if it continues, could be exactly what Walker needed. He gets to play a shortened season that simply isn't going to get the attention that a regular full season would. And in that, he gets to come back, make some starts, throw some innings, and hopefully get himself back into pitching shape and ready to get after it in the 2021 season. 

Maybe he just needs to pitch in an empty stadium. As a Mariner, he will get that privilege even after Covid is no longer a pandemic. 

(I realize that I shouldn't make such jokes as a White Sox fan, yet here we are)

• Haha 1
49 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I believe this shortened season, if it continues, could be exactly what Walker needed. He gets to play a shortened season that simply isn't going to get the attention that a regular full season would. And in that, he gets to come back, make some starts, throw some innings, and hopefully get himself back into pitching shape and ready to get after it in the 2021 season. 

An impressive bounce back outing - both pitchers (Oakland sent out Manea) are recovering from significant injuries.  The grapevine has Walker as trade deadline bait, but if they continue to win and are somehow in contention for something...perhaps he will stick around. 

• 3 weeks later...

Potential streamer only, he’s due for a regression session. Was looking at his underlying stats last night and they aren’t any good. He’s getting lucky with his K rate right now, which is the main thing that interested me. He has a 7.4% swinging strike rate which is dreadful. Gives up a lot of flyballs and homers. Hard pass. 

• Like 1

7 inning 8k and a win vs dodgers 

6 inning 5k and a zero era vs the rangers 

7 inning 8k and a zero era vs the As

I know 2 of is other starts he was bad but the 3 good starts are pretty impressive, is there a reason he is sitting at only 16%?

10 minutes ago, Kramjam24 said:

7 inning 8k and a win vs dodgers 

6 inning 5k and a zero era vs the rangers 

7 inning 8k and a zero era vs the As

I know 2 of is other starts he was bad but the 3 good starts are pretty impressive, is there a reason he is sitting at only 16%?

Yeah as the guy above said it’s a fluke.

On 8/21/2020 at 10:35 AM, KrunK said:

Potential streamer only, he’s due for a regression session. Was looking at his underlying stats last night and they aren’t any good. He’s getting lucky with his K rate right now, which is the main thing that interested me. He has a 7.4% swinging strike rate which is dreadful. Gives up a lot of flyballs and homers. Hard pass. 

All of this is still true...

Plus he just moved from a pitcher's park to a hitter-friendly minor league field in baseball's best hitting division. I would avoid.

Edited by SpartyOn4
10 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I think I missed his scheduled start today for my fantasy team, sigh.  But yeah good move by Toronto since the Yankees were interested in him too.

Toronto needs to take chances on guys like this.   Walker still has some upside if he can ever become consistent.

Blue Jays have some nice young offensive talent and should be trying to acquire pitching.  Curious the cost and who the PTBNL were in this deal.

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I think I missed his scheduled start today for my fantasy team, sigh.  But yeah good move by Toronto since the Yankees were interested in him too.

I think it’s just a ruse. Yankees will not settle for B level talent. I fully expect them to acquire a Bauer or a Lynn.

• 4 weeks later...