NBC Sports Edge Forums

Giancarlo Stanton 2020 Outlook

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last year he had a bicep, shoulder, calf, knee, and quad injury.  A true 5 category powerhouse in Injury-only leagues.  

I’d like to congratulate him for making it to August before hitting the IL this year

Ahhh the first Giancarlo IL stint of the season During these crazy times, it’s always good to have something you can count on

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

He seems to adhere to the Gary Sanchez routine referred to as "never stretch."

I think he sits in an ice cold bath then goes right into full balls-to-the-wall work out. 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, rhg1084 said:

How does this guy get hurt so much playing BASEBALL! It’s the least physical sport out there LOL. Anyway - expect the worst with him. Don’t be surprised if he’s out all year again 

I've been asking myself this for years now.  The only thing I can think of is muscles and baseball don't go together.  

Here we go again. Over and under on games is 100 at best. Realistically it's more like 60 games.

I've been saying the dude is too jacked to be a ball player. He needs flexibility exercises, not to get even more muscles.

Don't the Yankees have any say over what he does?

Edited by papasmurf
Just now, knifeparty said:

I've been asking myself this for years now.  The only thing I can think of is muscles and baseball don't go together.  

You should read Bob Feller’s Little Blue Book of Baseball (or it’s black, don’t remember which) if you haven’t. Feller talks about injuries, more for pitchers, but he talks about how players In today’s game are too muscle bound and not limber enough.

15 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Welp.

at least it’s the most mild strain in the strain world...this dude man, what a bummer.  Still holding optimism he figures this shiiii out w/around 4 weeks till it counts..

Over and under on strains for 2020 is 3. He's 1/3 of the way there and we are still in Feb.

1 hour ago, papasmurf said:

Over and under on strains for 2020 is 3. He's 1/3 of the way there and we are still in Feb.

That’s easy money. Didn’t he pull/strain muscles five times last year? Lol. That should be the o/u, lol. 

14 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

That’s easy money. Didn’t he pull/strain muscles five times last year? Lol. That should be the o/u, lol. 

14 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I would take the under on 5 cuz he can't strain another one when he's hurt and not doing anything. That's the only reason it'd be under 5.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

I would take the under on 5 cuz he can't strain another one when he's hurt and not doing anything. That's the only reason it'd be under 5.

He’s definitely done that as recently as last season

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
59 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Sure he can. This dude is as capable of straining and upper body muscle while he’s nursing a lower body strain, as he his hitting 40 HR in a 500 AB season. :D 

I think Stanton is cooked. All the injuries he had last year were muscle injuries.. Gets healthy only to get hurt again in the playoffs.. and now he's out with a calf injury. I would just let The Man of Glass fall to whoever wants to draft him. Upside aint worth the risk with his injuries. 

1 hour ago, MathieuVirtuoso said:

I think Stanton is cooked. All the injuries he had last year were muscle injuries.. Gets healthy only to get hurt again in the playoffs.. and now he's out with a calf injury. I would just let The Man of Glass fall to whoever wants to draft him. Upside aint worth the risk with his injuries. 

Agreed.  Not to mention who doesn’t have a timetable with a “minor calf strain.”  Imagine if he had a major calf strain?  Would the thing need to be amputated?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 3/5/2020 at 7:58 AM, Cmilne23 said:

Agreed.  Not to mention who doesn’t have a timetable with a “minor calf strain.”  Imagine if he had a major calf strain?  Would the thing need to be amputated?

They have a timetable, they're just not reporting it.

As someone who has sprained everything that can possibly be strained (been wight-lifting/powerlifting for over two decades now) I would probably consider the calf to be the MOST difficult muscle to strain. Calves are ******** tough.  My assumption is that he has been laying around trying to let his other lower body injuries heal, calves quickly became out of shape, then he thought he could just roll into spring training and resume the routine he had a few years ago.

My one significant calf strain that I can recall it took at least a solid month before I was back at 90+%.  It was a week or two before I wasn't limping like crazy as my foot's normal range of motion while walking was horribly painful.  

Edited by Overlord
6 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Judge V Stanton for more games played..

who ya got?

Prob stanton judge has been injured since sept 2 weeks of rest wont do anything wouldn't be surprised if he misses the season the way yankee injures go

On 3/5/2020 at 7:58 AM, Cmilne23 said:

"Yankees OF Giancarlo Stanton has a major calf strain.  Estimated time until he can resume normal baseball activities is 240-260 weeks."

2 hours ago, 89Topps said:

"Yankees OF Giancarlo Stanton has a major calf strain.  Estimated time until he can resume normal baseball activities is 240-260 weeks."

that’s estimate puts him on track to play the last season of his contract. Genius