Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Giancarlo Stanton 2020 Outlook


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last year he had a bicep, shoulder, calf, knee, and quad injury.  A true 5 category powerhouse in Injury-only leagues.  

I’d like to congratulate him for making it to August before hitting the IL this year

Ahhh the first Giancarlo IL stint of the season During these crazy times, it’s always good to have something you can count on

Posted Images

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Ugh, dude's mashing in October.

Still done as a keeper though, right? LOL

 

IDK... Got him in the 10th Rd this year. Keeping him could win me the league or be a big fat zero next year... He obviously still a stud when healthy, but honestly, I probably won't risk a keeper spot on him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ads7633 said:

IDK... Got him in the 10th Rd this year. Keeping him could win me the league or be a big fat zero next year... He obviously still a stud when healthy, but honestly, I probably won't risk a keeper spot on him.

 

10th round is some value.  I have to believe he will change is training regimen which might make him more durable.

I would love to draft him next season but someone will reach for him.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2020 at 11:02 PM, B&F said:

 

10th round is some value.  I have to believe he will change is training regimen which might make him more durable.

I would love to draft him next season but someone will reach for him.

 

 

Believing Stanton will stay healthy is like hoping you win the lottery...possible but not very likely lol.  He has proven over the years that staying healthy for a season is the great exception, not the rule.  In his10 MLB seasons, he has managed to stay healthy in only 3 of them (2011, 2017 and 2018).  He is now 30 and has had 2 consecutive years where he could not stay on the field at all.  I would not want him before round 12-13 at this point and you know someone will grab him round 4-6 so it is a fools bet imo. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2020 at 8:44 AM, secretagentman said:

Believing Stanton will stay healthy is like hoping you win the lottery...possible but not very likely lol.  He has proven over the years that staying healthy for a season is the great exception, not the rule.  In his10 MLB seasons, he has managed to stay healthy in only 3 of them (2011, 2017 and 2018).  He is now 30 and has had 2 consecutive years where he could not stay on the field at all.  I would not want him before round 12-13 at this point and you know someone will grab him round 4-6 so it is a fools bet imo. 

 

I think there's some truth to what you say, it just depends on your calculation where the reward outweights the risk. In a 12 team 5 OF league, there's no way I'd let Stanton fall out of round 6 if I'm drafting like March and he's healthy...more so because I usually play in OBP leagues.  Like in an OBP/OPS type league his potential is a 1st round talent still.  When you get past pick 60-70, I'm not sure the risk isn't baked into that price.  Round 12-13? That's fine to feel that way, but he won't come close to getting him there.

If he's struggling with an injury in spring, that will drop him down considerably, but I will always take the risk on a healthy stud with an injury history so long as  you're getting a discount, and pick 60-70 seems like a discount to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canilogon said:

I'm not sure you can trust Stanton walking without getting injured. But the Sorry Yanks paid him how much?????? 

 

The Yankees are not sorry, they are good.  Stanton was ridiculously good in the playoffs.  The Marlins are paying a portion of it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...