NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kevin Gausman 2020 Outlook

brockpapersizer

I am a bit of a Gausman believer, not at the level of Brock, but I have generally bought in on him and looking at the numbers I think I am in again (depending on role).  The one thing with him is that its often the longball that gets him, when he has kept the ball in the yard to the tune of around 1HR per 9 innings - his stats look good, when it gets to be like 1.5HR for 9 innings - his ERA balloons - going to one of the bigger parks in the game certainly helps. 

Some of his peripherals like FIP/xFIP were pretty good last year, certainly better than his 5+ERA would indicate and that fact that he got $9 Million from a team whose new front office tends to look at some of the analytics - there is actually some chatter about him closing?  Not sure how accurate that is - but I like his chances to be a productive SP4-6 guy who will cost you pretty much nothing in most drafts. 

I'd like to read something about fixing a pitch or having a new pitch mix to see a breakout at this point. Without a breakout he has a shot at having a useful season but the ceiling sure seems low, even in SF. Aren't they moving the fences in some?  

Anyway it would be nice for this to be the year, kinda stoked he's getting another chance to start.

48 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I'd like to read something about fixing a pitch or having a new pitch mix to see a breakout at this point. Without a breakout he has a shot at having a useful season but the ceiling sure seems low, even in SF. Aren't they moving the fences in some?  

Anyway it would be nice for this to be the year, kinda stoked he's getting another chance to start.

some - not much its not like they are cutting off triples alley.  I think from what I can tell they are moving bullpens out there but cut out bleachers more than field of play to do it, I think its like 5-6 feet - nothing major

You guys think Gausman will actually be in the rotation? Because I think bullpen is way more likely. Signing a crappy starter with good stuff to a cheap 1 year deal, then sticking him in the pen where that stuff can play up, and flipping him for a prospect in July, seems like exactly the kind of thing Farhan would plan to do. They had great success doing a similar thing with Pomeranz last year.

24 minutes ago, cs3 said:

You guys think Gausman will actually be in the rotation? Because I think bullpen is way more likely. Signing a crappy starter with good stuff to a cheap 1 year deal, then sticking him in the pen where that stuff can play up, and flipping him for a prospect in July, seems like exactly the kind of thing Farhan would plan to do. They had great success doing a similar thing with Pomeranz last year.

Roster Resource currently has him penciled in as their #3. Wouldn't say that's gospel, but it shows they don't really have a lot of reliable starters. Id bet he starts, even if they sign another starter. If he's bad I could see bullpen.

But for a rebuilding team, a quality bullpen arm is worth a lot more than a back end starter. The trade deadline market price for relievers has been astronomical the last few years, while the market for 4th/5th starters has been virtually non-existent.

10 hours ago, cs3 said:

I think his value in dollars and as trade bait is much higher if he's a SP.  That is what it will boil down to.

You guys are true believers, I have to give you that. 10K/9 over 102.1 IP is nice, but the niceties end there with last season (5.72 ERA, 1.42 WHIP). He'll be 29 when the season starts and pretty firmly entering "this is who he is" territory. I could envision some productive relief innings, but from a standard fantasy standpoint his chance of having value seems remote.

6 hours ago, Coach George said:

I think his value in dollars and as trade bait is much higher if he's a SP.  That is what it will boil down to.

This is only true if you believe that Gausman will be a good enough SP for a quality team to start him in the playoffs. 

Remember, he's only on a 1 year deal. No team is trading for him to be a part of their future. If they trade for him as a starter they would have to be a playoff contender and believe that he would be one of the top 3 pitchers in their rotation. I suppose its in the realm of possibility, but find that pretty unlikely.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Solid outing today. I know, I know, it’s Kevin Gausman but hear me out. Through 4 outings, he’s got the following:

ERA 4.05

FIP 2.27

xFIP 2.97

K/9 10.35

BB/9 0.90

WHIP 1.10

Solid numbers, but it’s still Kevin Gausman so why should we bother? Well, those 4 outings were @ LA Dodgers, vs SD, @ Colorado, and vs LA Dodgers. It doesn’t get much worse a schedule than that. Looking forward, he’s got 4 home starts vs Angels, Dbacks, Dodgers, and Texas. I think he’s worth taking a look on.

• Like 4

On 12/10/2019 at 8:32 PM, brockpapersizer said:

LFG

John_Cena.0.jpg

I want to give some advice to all the posters here on Rotoworld Forums.  You could be a long time poster or new to fantasy baseball, but I want you to listen to me very clearly.  This advice will not only help you win fantasy baseball leagues, but will help you win at life.

"If you go with your heart, you can never be wrong"

-Brockpapersizer 2020 (paraphrased from whoever said that first)

Also.  If you think I'm not taking a victory lap based on one game from a player I've been hyping for 6-7 years, then you really don't know me. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2