NBC Sports EDGE Forums

League innovation

SadFaceHappy

So I've been thinking up some ways to add some variation to typical fantasy leagues.  Thought it might be a good idea to start up a thread and get a discussion going.

Some things I've thought about:

- Adding pass interference yardage.  Would probably want to do this in a non-PPR, but we've all been there where our WR was about to catch a 60 yard TD only to be dragged down by the inconsiderate DB at the last second and before he can make the catch. He doesn't get those receiving yards, you don't get the points, but his team gets the ball 60 yards downfield.  Don't know how difficult this would be to include, but I'm sure the stat is tracked by at least some teams. 

- For auction non-dynasty leagues.  I like keepers.  I like the idea of making smart moves and being rewarded for it next season.  Don't know how I'd feel about a full on dynasty, as the only keeper league I play in limits it to 2 (having made the championship 2 years in a row, I've had to make some tough choices).  But I could see it getting boring too, whereas redrafts make you work (or give you the opportunity) to do a deep, comprehensive dive every year.  Additionally, it adds needed parity.

All that being said, the idea is this: franchise player designation.  Say you have a poor team but there are 1 or 2 guys you love.  For me, that's Lamar Jackson for $9.  I've heard of keeper auction leagues where you add $5 to the players price every year, which really rewards the 2017 Kamara owner but not the 2017 Barkley owner as much. 

That's all well and good, but I have a new wrinkle for non-keeper leagues - you get the choice of designating 1 player as your franchise guy.  But instead of raising that player's price a standard amount the next year, model after the NFL rules.  So your franchise player would cost the average of the previous year's top 3 bids at the position.  In my league, at QB I think Mahomes went for 35 or so, AaRod for 25, and Baker for like 20.  So I'd have the option to keep Lamar for (35+25+20=80/3=) $27 next year (6 points all TDs).

Using https://fftoolbox.fulltimefantasy.com/football/2019/auction-values.cfm

We'd have these values for 2020 franchise players (seems low in my experience):

QB. 21+18+14=53/3=$17.7

Round up to $18

RB. 53+51+48=152/3=$50.7

Round up to $51

WR. 44+44+43=131/3=$43.7

Round up to $44

TE. 36+34+28=98/3=$32.7

Round up to $33

This data set doesn't really illustrate the pros and cons all that well.  I'll return when I get the chance and post based on my league's results. 

Anyway, ball rolling.  Looking forward to feedback and other ideas

Edited by SadFaceHappy
  • Like 1

I like your franchise-tag like option for auction drafts.

There are a couple interesting things I've heard about people doing in regards to match ups. I'm not sure how I'd feel about them.

1. Every team has 2 match ups per week, so you can finish 2-0, 1-1, or 0-2.  This could help those teams that are the league's top scorers but get unlucky with match ups.

2. Rather than head-to-head match ups, the top half scoring teams get a win, and the bottom half get a loss. Similar principle to what I mentioned above, but more extreme.  This could be a sort of happy medium between best-ball and head-to-head.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hero202 said:

There are a couple interesting things I've heard about people doing in regards to match ups. I'm not sure how I'd feel about them.

1. Every team has 2 match ups per week, so you can finish 2-0, 1-1, or 0-2.  This could help those teams that are the league's top scorers but get unlucky with match ups.

2. Rather than head-to-head match ups, the top half scoring teams get a win, and the bottom half get a loss. Similar principle to what I mentioned above, but more extreme.  This could be a sort of happy medium between best-ball and head-to-head.

How do playoffs work for #2? Bet interested in changing the league this way, but for playoffs would love to have it be one and done.

Edited by Theoneupper

50 minutes ago, Theoneupper said:

How do playoffs work for #2? Bet interested in changing the league this way, but for playoffs would love to have it be one and done.

In this format I would suggest the top 2 teams get a bye week 14...seeds 3-6 play with the top 2 scorers advancing.  Week 15 the remaining 4 team play with the top 2 advancing to play h2h for the championship week 16.

7 hours ago, Theoneupper said:

Not sure what you mean?  When I say top half get a win, and bottom half get a loss, it would be weekly, not top half scoring teams at the end of the year get in the playoffs and the bottom half teams don't.  There would still be wins and losses each week with the playoff seeding determined by record as it is in H2H.  The playoffs could work the same way; half of the field is eliminated at the end of each week's of games until you're left with 2 teams in the championship. 

6 hours ago, Zangief80 said:

I dont like the points for pass interference yardage.  Those calls are controversial as is even with replays.  Will cause ruckus within your league.

I don't like it either but not for this reason. Half the bull**** in this league is controversial. 

6 hours ago, Zangief80 said:

I dont like the points for pass interference yardage.  Those calls are controversial as is even with replays.  Will cause ruckus within your league.

Right, because a 1 yard screen pass is more valuable than a 40 yard PI call in the end zone. 

No idea why PI yardage isn't awarded anything in fantasy. I've always thought it should be half the value. So one point for every 20 PI yards. Add half a point for every PI in PPR leagues. And give 3 points if the PI occurs in the end zone. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hero202 said:

I like #2 but maybe with the following adjustment.

Keep the head to head.

But then take 1 point and divide it by however many teams minus one are in the league and then multiply that fractional amount by however many teams you would have beat.

So if you had the high score, you'd get a full point (plus the head to head point).  If you had the 2nd highest score, you'd get (for a 12 team league) 1/11 x 10 = .91.

I don't know...just throwing it out there.

Edited by K197040

24 minutes ago, jumboJET85 said:

Keep kickers but give them additional points for the yards. For example a 47 yard field goal would be 4.7 points 

Yea, if you're gonna have kickers and award different points for length (I'd be just fine with all FGs being 3, EPs 1) then its ridiculous that a 49 yarder gets you a full point less than a 50 yarder.

4.7 for a 47 yarder, 3.5 for a 35 yarder, 3 for 30 yards and below should be easy to track and makes more sense

14 hours ago, Hero202 said:

Ive been trying to get our league to do this, what I have actually proposed is in our league, where we play 13 weeks, is that 11 weeks have head to head matchups, so that its not imbalanced and you arent randomly playing the best teams twice in a season where someone else is playing them only once, but getting the dog crap owner twice.  So 11 weeks you would have 2 decisions - W in your head to head and then top 6 bottom 6 as you suggested.  So that would account for 22 results and then 2 weeks there is no H2H just top half bottom half - thinking either the last two weeks no H2H when more than likely teams are "checked out" or the two weeks that have the most NFL teams on BYE.  

I am proposing to my league for 2020 that we turn a component of our total points payout into a Guillotine style contest.   The problem with points is that its the same good or lousy teams battling it out.  One of the things Im pretty proud of is that in the ten years we have had our league I think 6 of the 10 the Championship game winner and total points leader were one and the same.  But for those teams that kind of stink - or have that crushing injury or whatever - or didnt have great keepers, its kind of a lost season in total points and head to head. 

The Guillotine side would be 12 teams, probably start week 3 so each team gets two weeks "preseason" 

Each week, the team with the lowest total points gets eliminated until we are down to 1 - who is the winner. 

The wrinkle that I think changes the dynamic on the Guillotine side is that when a team is eliminated, their players are dropped back into the free agent pool.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Yea, if you're gonna have kickers and award different points for length (I'd be just fine with all FGs being 3, EPs 1) then its ridiculous that a 49 yarder gets you a full point less than a 50 yarder.

4.7 for a 47 yarder, 3.5 for a 35 yarder, 3 for 30 yards and below should be easy to track and makes more sense

You need decimal scoring for this, we did it this way when we had kickers and it was great

Ok, so going back to the franchise player idea, I'll use my auction league's draft results as an example for 2020

$200 budget, 12 teams

QB: Mahomes $25, Watson $17, Rogers $13

2020 franchise QB = $19 (55/3=18.3)

RB: Barkley $68, CMC $63, Kamara $60

2020 fRB = $64 (191/3=63.7)

WR: Julio $56, Adams $55, DHop $50

2020 fWR = $54 (161/3=53.7)

TE: Kelce $40, Ertz $21, Kittle $20

2020 fTE = $27 (81/3)

Pretty reasonable for the guys above.

In my case, I'd have only a handful of choices.  Could franchise Lamar Jackson for $19, Josh Jacobs for $64, DJ Chark for $54, Hunter Henry for $27, or nobody (it wasn't a great team).

I could do Jackson for $19, but none of the others make sense, so pretty easy for me.  Another team would be choosing between Mahomes for $19, Cook for $64, or Kelce for $27.  He'd have a much tougher choice.  Another guy has Wilson for $19 vs Henry for $64 vs Ertz for $27.

I think it would be interesting. At 1 max per team, there's going to be the majority of players left to choose from.  The guy who spent $68 on Saquan probably feels pretty ripped off this year, but might be happy to get a second chance with him for $64.  The guy who has Henry might be worried about a bidding war next year.  I'm not thrilled about the prospect of Jackson's price getting over $20.

I doubt more than a handful of guys would get "tagged" - maybe CMC, Jackson/Mahomes, Thomas maybe, Kelce.  For most it'll be better to just bid on them again, but who knows.  Could be a fun wrinkle

15 hours ago, Hero202 said:

Interesting! Do you know what platform that would be available in?

1 hour ago, jumboJET85 said:

Keep kickers but give them additional points for the yards. For example a 47 yard field goal would be 4.7 points 

This is what we do (changed to it this year) and it's awesome. Along with that, we changed PATs to be worth 2 points instead of 1. It's nearly the same effort for a kicker based on where they kick from, so why only 1 point?

I am of the belief that if you're going to have positions, make them worth something. If kickers are an afterthought, why even bother with them.

We also do a unique setup for catches with WR/TE getting .5 per catch while RBs get .25 (with all positions receiving extra .25 if the catch is a 1st down). Rush attempts are .25 as well so basically it's .25 per touch for a RB...We made the change this year because we found that with PPR it makes the gap in value WAY too big for guys like Henry or James White.

Why should 5 for 50 be worth more than 20 for 80? Why should 1 catch for 0 yds be worth more than a carry for 9 yds?

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SadFaceHappy said:

That's such a low point total though so why even bother? At that point all kickers are negligible and basically an afterthought so who cares?

For all you who do IDP, what are your scoring setups?

I'd like to find perfect balance to where they contribute enough to where it's a possibility to actually keep a defensive player if you do keeper. I think it's pointless to bother if DTs are useless and they are drafted in the last round with kickers. Then what's the point? I also think it's stupid in IDP leagues where you see guys like Khalil Mack as an unowned player because the IDP settings reward tackles the most.

So I ask, what settings do you guys use?

One of my leagues ditched kickers and I didn't miss them for a second. I'd like to try without a def too.

A while back a league of ours was IIRC a 20 teamer and we did a WWE-themed playoff. Can't remember the exact details, but I think week 13 was the first playoff week and it involved a Battle Royale between the bottom 13 or so teams for a place in the playoffs in week 14. Highest scorer of the 13 won a place. It was a way to keep everybody interested until as late as possible.

4 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

One of my leagues ditched kickers and I didn't miss them for a second. I'd like to try without a def too.

A while back a league of ours was IIRC a 20 teamer and we did a WWE-themed playoff. Can't remember the exact details, but I think week 13 was the first playoff week and it involved a Battle Royale between the bottom 13 or so teams for a place in the playoffs in week 14. Highest scorer of the 13 won a place. It was a way to keep everybody interested until as late as possible.

Sounds unique but what’s the point of the first 12 weeks then?

4 hours ago, SadFaceHappy said:

What fantasy platforms allow this scoring adjustment in league settings? I know ESPN doesn't allow this.

Edited by Hacksawjimduggan