NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 Fantasy Baseball Platform Central -- Yahoo, ESPN, CBS, Fantrax, etc.

31 minutes ago, pauloneillreds said:

That can be defended. But having one of those players on the DL while the other isn't is inexcusable.

how so? not sure but wasnt ohtani suppose to hit from day 1 and then pitch later in the year because he wasnt ready? if so then it makes sense imo.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is actually the Yahoo/Ohtani vent and rant thread. 

haaaaaaaaaaaa coming from the same people that cant make ohtani both bat and sp in one player. seems highly unlikely

Yahoo is by far the premier fantasy baseball platform. Their Pro leagues are 2nd to none.

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

how so? not sure but wasnt ohtani suppose to hit from day 1 and then pitch later in the year because he wasnt ready? if so then it makes sense imo.

There should be no gray area on who Yahoo has designated as on the DL/IL . If he is listed on the major league IL than yes he should get that designation. If he isn't, like in Ohtani's case, he shouldn't get that designation. 

5 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

There should be no gray area on who Yahoo has designated as on the DL/IL . If he is listed on the major league IL than yes he should get that designation. If he isn't, like in Ohtani's case, he shouldn't get that designation. 

but hes two completely different players on yahoo/fantasy wise. so if he isnt going to pitch for half the year then doesnt that make him dl eligible according to yahoo? im not sure if a player has to be officially listed on dl to get fantasy dl or i should say ir. basketball it was so many missed games to get inj tag. some get it right away some dont which is frustrating especially at fantasy hoops playoffs when teams are tanking and resting players.

edit- theres a bunch of players that have ir tag does that mean they are all officially ir'd when ST hasnt started?

Edited by colepenhagen
1 minute ago, colepenhagen said:

but hes two completely different players on yahoo/fantasy wise. so if he isnt going to pitch for half the year then doesnt that make him dl eligible according to yahoo? im not sure if a player has to be officially listed on dl to get fantasy dl or i should say ir. basketball it was so many missed games to get inj tag. some get it right away some dont which is frustrating especially at fantasy hoops playoffs when teams are tanking and resting players.

Baseball is totally different than basketball.  Yahoo in the past only gives the designation to those officially on the IL. If Yahoo is going to go that route than teams should ask for them to designate players that get injured at the end of the year,  that aren't placed on the IL b/c of expanded rosters, IL eligible. 

Just now, duke of queens said:

Baseball is totally different than basketball.  Yahoo in the past only gives the designation to those officially on the IL. If Yahoo is going to go that route than teams should ask for them to designate players that get injured at the end of the year,  that aren't placed on the IL b/c of expanded rosters, IL eligible. 

is hicks offically ir'd?

Yahoo would have changed things by the end of spring training regards the above.  The virus caught them flat footed as well as MLB.  Also some teams NA'ed major league players that had options before the shutdown like Civale to save money though he is actually in the starting rotation.  Meanwhile the Red Sox didn't move fast enough to IL Chris Sale and the Yankees IL Luis Severino before ALL MLB moves were frozen in place. 

As for Pitcher Ohtani, he was out all year in 2019 ( not allowed to pitch) though Hitter Ohtani could, you know, hit.  So it was a fair move to make a special manual change to an already specially manually changed player imho.  Just a second asterisk to the first asterisk in other words.

I hope Yahoo is using this down time to re-write their entire software -- which they said would have to be done from scratch and not a mere subroutine correction which was what other platforms only had to do -- to put Humpty Ohtani (plus McKay) back together again.

But for 2020 I'm fine with the weird stuff on who was IL'ed, NA'ed etc because everything is weird.  If or when baseball restarts this year or next all this will be a seen in the rear view mirror as a lot of silly molehills and not some mountain.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yahoo would have changed things by the end of spring training regards the above.  The virus caught them flat footed as well as MLB.  Also some teams NA'ed major league players that had options before the shutdown like Civale to save money though he is actually in the starting rotation.  Meanwhile the Red Sox didn't move fast enough to IL Chris Sale and the Yankees IL Luis Severino before ALL MLB moves were frozen in place. 

As for Pitcher Ohtani, he was out all year in 2019 ( not allowed to pitch) though Hitter Ohtani could, you know, hit.  So it was a fair move to make a special manual change to an already specially manually changed player imho.  Just a second asterisk to the first asterisk in other words.

I hope Yahoo is using this down time to re-write their entire software -- which they said would have to be done from scratch and not a mere subroutine correction which was what other platforms only had to do -- to put Humpty Ohtani (plus McKay) back together again.

But for 2020 I'm fine with the weird stuff on who was IL'ed, NA'ed etc because everything is weird.  If or when baseball restarts this year or next all this will be a seen in the rear view mirror as a lot of silly molehills and not some mountain.

There is only one player ILd that shouldn't be so lets not blame it on being weird. Yahoo just makes things up as they go along and its not getting better. The site gets worse every year.

1 hour ago, duke of queens said:

There is only one player ILd that shouldn't be so lets not blame it on being weird. Yahoo just makes things up as they go along and its not getting better. The site gets worse every year.

Actually I think it is getting better with even more prospects added to the database etc.  Does it have room to improve?  Sure.  But I like this new team that took over way better than the old team.

12 hours ago, pauloneillreds said:

That can be defended. But having one of those players on the DL while the other isn't is inexcusable.

On the contrary. The guy does not play as a pitcher because injured/recovering. So he is of no use in a fantasy league, and needs to be on the DL, not ot take up a spot
But plays as a batter.

I can't understand how people playing a fantasy game have no fantasy to imagine that this guy is two players with the same name and still crying over this.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Which would cause problems in many keeper and dynasty leagues.

6 hours ago, JCD said:

On the contrary. The guy does not play as a pitcher because injured/recovering. So he is of no use in a fantasy league, and needs to be on the DL, not ot take up a spot
But plays as a batter.

I can't understand how people playing a fantasy game have no fantasy to imagine that this guy is two players with the same name and still crying over this.

He doesn't need to be on the DL. He can be on the waiver wire if he is of no use. We wouldn't have an issue with him being two players if every other platform ran into the same issue. But that is not the case. They all treat him has one player or give you the option. The whole point of the two way player was to add value to that player and splitting him up doesn't accomplish that.

2 hours ago, duke of queens said:

He doesn't need to be on the DL. He can be on the waiver wire if he is of no use.

Well he may be of no use, but he needs to be on the DL in leagues where he has value as a keeper.

2 hours ago, duke of queens said:

We wouldn't have an issue with him being two players if every other platform ran into the same issue. But that is not the case. They all treat him has one player or give you the option. The whole point of the two way player was to add value to that player and splitting him up doesn't accomplish that.

There is no two-way player on Yahoo. So what? Don't see a reason why is that absolutely necessary.
I would think there are more important issues, like let the comish decide the playoff schedule, instead of trying to select the least bad option. Like we would like to have a 4 team playoffs with 2 week matchups, but don't want to play the last week of the MLB season, when players start to get a lot of rest.
Let the league decide what tiebreakers to use.
Give leagues the option of separate benchhitter and benchpitcher positions instead of just bench.
Give leagues the option of number of Starters to use / matchup.
Give leagues a team bullpen option like team defense in football, with the added function that managers can select which reliever or relievers they want to use on any given day. Enables a more casual play because closer hunting becomes unnecessary.
And do not re-rank players like 6-7 times between opening up the game and season start.
etc...

9 hours ago, JCD said:

Which would cause problems in many keeper and dynasty leagues.

It could also help in dynasty leagues to have the disappearing NA slots every spring fixed.  Not everyone wants to keep their prospects on spreadsheets and do off line mini re-drafts every season because of this endless problem on Yahoo.

As for making these players whole again all dynasty and keeper leagues I know of have protocols for if or when that happens.  Same with McKay.  In my leagues you have to own both.  But in most leagues the precedence in ownership goes to the pitcher with both of these guys.  In those leagues another person could own Hitter McKay but if Yahoo fixes the software that person no longer has rights to McKay.  That is understood and agreed on by all.

It's got to be fixed in the end since there is now a relief pitcher -- can't remember his name right now -- who is also a hitter (or vice versa) that Yahoo has split as well.  And more players will occur in the future as that is the trend especially with prospects.

3 hours ago, duke of queens said:

He doesn't need to be on the DL. He can be on the waiver wire if he is of no use. We wouldn't have an issue with him being two players if every other platform ran into the same issue. But that is not the case. They all treat him has one player or give you the option. The whole point of the two way player was to add value to that player and splitting him up doesn't accomplish that.

Maybe in a redraft league but like JCD said above not in dynasty and keeper leagues.  In my leagues if you own Ohtani you have to own both Ohtanis.  Not fair to owners to use up an active slot on a player -- Pitcher Ohtani -- when Pitcher Ohtani is out the whole season.  They would already take a hit using up an IL slot on him which is punishment enough given Yahoo only allows five IL slots at IL max settings.

NFBC holding everyone's money.  Just refund everyone's entry fees and if there is a season start over and redraft. Even if they have a season I don't want an entry fee of $350 for a short season where anything can happen.

3 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

NFBC holding everyone's money.  Just refund everyone's entry fees and if there is a season start over and redraft. Even if they have a season I don't want an entry fee of $350 for a short season where anything can happen.

I f.ing agree. .. 

4 hours ago, duke of queens said:

Gee whiz .. leave yahooooo —- problem solved 

40 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Gee whiz .. leave yahooooo —- problem solved 

I like Yahoo in the main.  I'd like them to continue to fix problems but at least they are fixing some unlike ESPN these days.  Until then I'll do the spreadsheets for prospects and stick with a completely free and otherwise pretty good platform in Yahoo.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I like Yahoo in the main.  I'd like them to continue to fix problems but at least they are fixing some unlike ESPN these days.  Until then I'll do the spreadsheets for prospects and stick with a completely free and otherwise pretty good platform in Yahoo.

I didn’t quote you... We all know that... how yahoooo is your favorite. 

Be honest here. When was the last time you used ESPN? 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

I think this should be what happens everywhere. I did early drafts and drafted for a full season. Now were looking at a 50-70 game season, IF a season happens. The new problem popping up is players having covid. This isnt the season I signed up for whatsoever.

7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It's got to be fixed in the end since there is now a relief pitcher -- can't remember his name right now -- who is also a hitter (or vice versa) that Yahoo has split as well.  And more players will occur in the future as that is the trend especially with prospects.

Michael Lorenzen is the player you are referencing here 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Michael Lorenzen is the player you are referencing here 

Thanks so much.  I remembered there was an M in the name but couldn't remember anything else and thought maybe the M was the last name, lol.  Weirdly in one of my leagues that require you to own both halves someone actually owns this guy and the two precious slots he takes up.

On 6/20/2020 at 5:51 PM, shakestreet said:

I didn’t quote you... We all know that... how yahoooo is your favorite. 

Be honest here. When was the last time you used ESPN? 

I wish it were that easy. I tried to switch and it was not received well. Hearing 12 people complain every week for 6 months was not fun. I like Yahoos interface and app, but they never fix anything with any substance. They always had a good prospect DB(better than the free sites) but they always make changes that I don't think anyone asked for. It's always aesthetic changes or add-ons(like player head shots or sabermetric stats etc.). Something like being able to keep track of contracts/ years, BBTs NA issue, Ohtani 1 player, ability to export data, lineups not adjusting/changing if a guy is picked up, different playoff options or H2H, an FAAB waiver system that is void of bugs, are all fixes that would help leagues a lot.  I'll go back into my hole as this seems like groundhogs day every year. 

• Like 1