NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 Fantasy Baseball Platform Central -- Yahoo, ESPN, CBS, Fantrax, etc.

7 minutes ago, Nix said:

I saw this thread and went reading thinking it would be good feedback about various sites. However, it just seems to be about yahoo only, or largely slanted towards yahoo.

Why is yahoo so popular here? its a very basic platform that I would think not many diehard fantasy baseball folks would use. I guess I am in the minority?

It and ESPN have the biggest manager/owner pool available and on the whole Yahoo works really really well.  We argue about Yahoo here because we actually like it but want the tweaks to make it better.  And yes the majority of diehard fantasy owners do play on it and ESPN because the other platforms are still very very small quantity wise because they can't really offer much more than Yahoo at least is offering now.  You want more than Yahoo offers like more prospects on your roster you just add Google sheets.  Easier to do that then convince all owners in large dynasty leagues to pack up and move to some smaller site that is at best only a small improvement of what is already in place.  And Yahoo is free.  Can't beat that either.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2
  • Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is actually the Yahoo/Ohtani vent and rant thread. 

haaaaaaaaaaaa coming from the same people that cant make ohtani both bat and sp in one player. seems highly unlikely

Yahoo is by far the premier fantasy baseball platform. Their Pro leagues are 2nd to none.

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It and ESPN have the biggest manager/owner pool available and on the whole Yahoo works really really well.  We argue about Yahoo here because we actually like it but want the tweaks to make it better.  And yes the majority of diehard fantasy owners do play on it and ESPN because the other platforms are still very very small quantity wise because they can't really offer much more than Yahoo at least is offering now.  You want more than Yahoo offers like more prospects on your roster you just add Google sheets.  Easier to do that then convince all owners in large dynasty leagues to pack up and move to some smaller site that is at best only a small improvement of what is already in place.  And Yahoo is free.  Can't beat that either.

To add Yahoo is the first site we used and was the only one around besides Sandbox back in late 90's. ESPN came on scene but charged. Stuck with what owners were comfortable with. We are a complicated keeper league and do a lot on google drive. Tried OnRoto but it was not received well. Ive done all of the big sites and def think Yahoo is the cleanest design and best app. I have a lot of issues too, but I had to appease the masses and stay. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, duke of queens said:

To add Yahoo is the first site we used and was the only one around besides Sandbox back in late 90's. ESPN came on scene but charged. Stuck with what owners were comfortable with. We are a complicated keeper league and do a lot on google drive. Tried OnRoto but it was not received well. Ive done all of the big sites and def think Yahoo is the cleanest design and best app. I have a lot of issues too, but I had to appease the masses and stay. 

Now that's a blast from the past! First site I used for Fantasy sports

4 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Now that's a blast from the past! First site I used for Fantasy sports

Yeah I remember switching off Yahoo to go to Sandbox. Didnt last too long. I remember 3 options, Yahoo, Sandbox, or Commissioner(which is now CBS site)

1 hour ago, tucker26 said:

Anyone know why the NYY/BAL game isn’t scoring in ESPN fantasy?

Probably because of the schedule change, wasn't ready...

• Thanks 1

I had a big problem with taking Moustakas out of my IL spot in my cbssports league. Anybody familiar with that I might of done wrong or how it works here is what happened....

Mike Moustakas was on the IL with suspected COVID yesterday in the morning. Apparently he petitioned to get reinstated after a few negative tests and MLB reinstate him. I checked my lineup around 6pm and it said he was in the lineup and hitting 4th. Great. Per rules in my league when a player comes off the IL he needs to be taken out of the IL spot in a reasonable amount of time, Plus I wanted to start him anyway so at 6:02 I dropped Abraham Toto to make room, I took Moustakas off the IL spot and inserted him in my lineup, and moved Yandy to the bench. All the players involved didn’t have their game until 7. That should have been the end of it but for some reason on my lineup page it says that I have 8 reserve players (max is 7) and my lineup is illegal, Toto is showing on my bench but even when I click on his name he is showing on waivers and available to be added. Not sure what happened here,We even had me drop Meijia as a troubleshooting step just to see if that made a difference but once again he still showed up on my lineup page but shows up as a free agent everywhere else. 

Illegal lineups score 0 points in my league and I couldn't find anyway to make it legal before 7 pm first pitch...

21 minutes ago, treyjuice said:

I had a big problem with taking Moustakas out of my IL spot in my cbssports league. Anybody familiar with that I might of done wrong or how it works here is what happened....

Mike Moustakas was on the IL with suspected COVID yesterday in the morning. Apparently he petitioned to get reinstated after a few negative tests and MLB reinstate him. I checked my lineup around 6pm and it said he was in the lineup and hitting 4th. Great. Per rules in my league when a player comes off the IL he needs to be taken out of the IL spot in a reasonable amount of time, Plus I wanted to start him anyway so at 6:02 I dropped Abraham Toto to make room, I took Moustakas off the IL spot and inserted him in my lineup, and moved Yandy to the bench. All the players involved didn’t have their game until 7. That should have been the end of it but for some reason on my lineup page it says that I have 8 reserve players (max is 7) and my lineup is illegal, Toto is showing on my bench but even when I click on his name he is showing on waivers and available to be added. Not sure what happened here,We even had me drop Meijia as a troubleshooting step just to see if that made a difference but once again he still showed up on my lineup page but shows up as a free agent everywhere else. 

Illegal lineups score 0 points in my league and I couldn't find anyway to make it legal before 7 pm first pitch...

The first game of the day on Wednesday July 29th, was Colorado v. Oakland at 3:40 p.m. Eastern, or 12:40 Pacific.

A player needs to be dropped prior to the start of the first game of the day on CBS in order to activate a player from the IL on the same day.

Otherwise it becomes effective for the following day.  Contact your commissioner and request that he put Moustakas back on the IL for 7/29.

5 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

The first game of the day on Wednesday July 29th, was Colorado v. Oakland at 3:40 p.m. Eastern, or 12:40 Pacific.

A player needs to be dropped prior to the start of the first game of the day on CBS in order to activate a player from the IL on the same day.

Otherwise it becomes effective for the following day.  Contact your commissioner and request that he put Moustakas back on the IL for 7/29.

You mean ALL players are locked when the first game of the day starts on CBS?!?  If there is like one day game and the rest night games how are people on CBS able to make line-up moves for the rest of their players once the night line-ups are posted later on?  This makes no sense at all.

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

You mean ALL players are locked when the first game of the day starts on CBS?!?  If there is like one day game and the rest night games how are people on CBS able to make line-up moves for the rest of their players once the night line-ups are posted later on?  This makes no sense at all.

Yes.  I have had to adjust Service Time for players as commissioner because most people understandably don't realize CBS does this.

The first scheduled game of the day locks rosters (as far as adding/dropping) for all teams for that day,  even if there is a rain delay with the first game.

You can still move players from your bench to active spots before the start of each players game.     

16 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Thanks for the information. I actually am the league commissioner which adds another wrinkle, especially because Moustakas had a big game last night. What is even worse is that I don't believe I would have even been able to put him back in the IL spot after I took him out because our setting is that only players with the IL label next to their name can be put in that spot. Seems like poor design by cbssports unless I'm missing some logic. 

4 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Yes.  I have had to adjust Service Time for players as commissioner because most people understandably don't realize CBS does this.

The first scheduled game of the day locks rosters (as far as adding/dropping) for all teams for that day,  even if there is a rain delay with the first game.

You can still move players from your bench to active spots before the start of each players game.     

Wow!  Why would anyone play on such a lame platform that doesn't even do THE most basic thing in fantasy baseball ... allow you to set your line-ups correctly.  Does CBS think ALL line-ups are posted each morning at 8 am or something?  This makes Yahoo's silly  two Ohtanis look like humorous small potatoes in comparison.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
1 minute ago, treyjuice said:

Thanks for the information. I actually am the league commissioner which adds another wrinkle, especially because Moustakas had a big game last night. What is even worse is that I don't believe I would have even been able to put him back in the IL spot after I took him out because our setting is that only players with the IL label next to their name can be put in that spot. Seems like poor design by cbssports unless I'm missing some logic. 

Go to Roster Management.  Hit Service Time.  Choose Moustakas and hit OK.  Hit the 7/29/20 box and select IL and then OK.

Double check your roster for 7/29/20 to see if it has changed to Legal.   And then make sure you are good for today, 7/30/20.  

1 minute ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Go to Roster Management.  Hit Service Time.  Choose Moustakas and hit OK.  Hit the 7/29/20 box and select IL and then OK.

Double check your roster for 7/29/20 to see if it has changed to Legal.   And then make sure you are good for today, 7/30/20.  

I appreciate it. I am speaking with my Co-Commish about how we are going to handle that. The IL spot was a cool idea that we thought would help out teams this year with COVID and all but I am not a fan of having to take the guy out of the lineup before 1st pitch of the first game of the day. Plenty of the guys work until 5 pm and if the Cubs have an afternoon game or something it's not cool that an owner couldn't take a healthy guy out of the IL spot and put him in his starting lineup. We never ran into the roster freeing thing because we use waivers to pick up free agents and don't allow add/drops the day of games. We are thinking about just turning the IL spot into an extra roster spot so we don't have to deal with this problem happening again which by the state baseball is in right now is likely. What a shame.

4 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Wow!  Why would anyone play on such a lame platform that doesn't even do THE most basic thing in fantasy baseball ... allow you to set your line-ups correctly.  Does CBS think ALL line-ups are posted each morning at 8 am or something?  This makes Yahoo's silly  two Ohtanis look like humorous small potatoes in comparison.

It's only a problem when a player comes off the IL after the start of the first game and it's a complete surprise. 

Most times you know when a big name player is scheduled to come off the IL especially pitchers and you can plan for it. 

But it will be a much bigger problem this year with Covid.

1 minute ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

It's only a problem when a player comes off the IL after the start of the first game and it's a complete surprise. 

Most times you know when a big name player is scheduled to come off the IL especially pitchers and you can plan for it. 

But it will be a much bigger problem this year with Covid.

How is it only a problem then?  What I thought I read above is that as soon as the first game starts all line-ups are locked which implies you can't move bench players to the starting line-up or people in that line-up to the bench even though their games haven't started yet?  That's why you got a what the hell reaction from me.

Though being unable to switch people out of the IL slots is pretty darn bad too.  And I say slots.  You only have the use of one lone IL slot on CBS or just your league chose only one?

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

How is it only a problem then?  What I thought I read above is that as soon as the first game starts all line-ups are locked which implies you can't move bench players to the starting line-up or people in that line-up to the bench even though their games haven't started yet?  That's why you got a what the hell reaction from me.

Though being unable to switch people out of the IL slots is pretty darn bad too.  And I say slots.  You only have the use of one lone IL slot on CBS or just your league chose only one?

No.  It only locks as far as Adds and Drops.   

Taking a player from the IL and adding him to the roster after the first game of the day becomes effective for the following day. 

I have 5 IL spots in my league,  so it is a league tailored thing.

From the league page in Yahoo:

The IL maximum has been raised from 5 to 10. Commissioners can use their tools to make the change in the league.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, posty said:

From the league page in Yahoo:

The IL maximum has been raised from 5 to 10. Commissioners can use their tools to make the change in the league.

More than overdue.  Dynasty leagues have wanted this for years.  Only took a worldwide pandemic to make Yahoo act.

4 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

More than overdue.  Dynasty leagues have wanted this for years.  Only took a worldwide pandemic to make Yahoo act.

Ha...  Better late than never though, right?

Anybody know if on Yahoo's Fantasy Baseball Platform how they count double headers in terms of the games played maximum. 

e.g. do double headers (two separate games in one day) count as only 1-game against your "games played" maximum, or do double headers count as 2-games against your "games played" maximum? 

e.g. in my league every position gets 60 games played (for the 60-game season). I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth it to maybe target lots of guys in double headers to up my chance for counting stats. 

Edited by EmbargoLifted