NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 Fantasy Baseball Platform Central -- Yahoo, ESPN, CBS, Fantrax, etc.

Eh, I've been a Yahoo apologist in the past for the two-way player thing:

but it's been like three years at this point.  This is clearly a "product" that's on auto-pilot.  Either they're building a brand new platform from scratch and it just isn't ready yet, or they have no interest in developing it and expanding the user base and are just waiting to be sold to the next private equity firm.

The font definitely changed, I think around the time basketball went live.  People mentioned it earlier in the offseason.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is actually the Yahoo/Ohtani vent and rant thread. 

haaaaaaaaaaaa coming from the same people that cant make ohtani both bat and sp in one player. seems highly unlikely

Yahoo is by far the premier fantasy baseball platform. Their Pro leagues are 2nd to none.

Posted Images

In a significant change for public and pro leagues, continuous waivers with FAAB (Free Agent Acquisition Budget) will now be used to claim players instead of Free Agents.

I'm going to need help understanding this as I make roster changes on the reg in yahoo pro leagues. My main question revolves around WHEN to make a claim.

Last year, if i wanted say Robinson Cano for a Thursday game, I would go in on Wednesday afternoon and pick Cano up as a FA and he would show up on my roster for Thursday. If a player was on waivers and I was able to claim him on the morning of Thursday, he wouldn't be on my roster until Friday. 

Now, with continuous waivers, Cano will always be on waivers. In the same scenario, if I wanted to pick him up for a Thursday game, do I put in a claim for him on Wednesday? Or is it Tuesday? If waivers are run Thursday morning, won't that mean the roster change won't take place until Friday? Or is continuous waivers different in that aspect?

Basically, in my example above, is it 

A: Put claim on Cano on Tuesday, Waivers run Wednesday morning, Rosters adjusted for Thursday games 

or

B: Claim Cano on a Wednesday, Waivers run Thursday for Thursday games. 

Edited by JNR0110
4 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

The font definitely changed, I think around the time basketball went live.  People mentioned it earlier in the offseason.

That is weird.  Because the font remains the same old same old to me on both my laptop and phone app.  Also the same light blue for players and black for everything else.  I honestly don't see anything different about it.

1 minute ago, JNR0110 said:

In a significant change for public and pro leagues, continuous waivers with FAAB (Free Agent Acquisition Budget) will now be used to claim players instead of Free Agents.

I'm going to need help understanding this as I make roster changes on the reg in yahoo pro leagues. My main question revolves around WHEN to make a claim.

Last year, if i wanted say Robinson Cano for a Thursday game, I would go in on Wednesday afternoon and pick Cano up as a FA and he would show up on my roster for Thursday. If a player was waivers and I was able to claim him on the morning of Thursday, he wouldn't be on my roster until Friday. 

Now, with continuous waivers, Cano will always be on waivers. In the same scenario, if I wanted to pick him up for a Thursday game, do I put in a claim for him on Wednesday? Or is it Tuesday? If waivers are run Thursday morning, won't that mean the roster change won't take place until Friday? Or is continuous waivers different in that aspect?

A: Put claim on Cano on Tuesday, Waivers run Wednesday morning, Rosters adjusted for Thursday games 

or

Do they even have pro leagues this year? I don’t see them on there.

1 minute ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Do they even have pro leagues this year? I don’t see them on there.

Not yet, but they will later on, they generally start appearing a few weeks after Yahoo opens. This is what is in the "what's new" section, so, this will be the default setting for all Yahoo Pro leagues is how I'm reading that. 

• Thanks 1

The deeper prospect pool (top 15 in each org) is a nice improvement, but it will likely be squandered by the 30 player maximum roster size, which doesn't leave enough slots in most leagues to bother stashing anything but the blue chip guys.

5 minutes ago, JNR0110 said:

or

It depends if your league is set to “Daily - Today” or “Daily - Tomorrow”

In your example,

A = “Daily - Tomorrow”

B = “Daily - Today”

Just now, crafty said:

It depends if your league is set to “Daily - Today” or “Daily - Tomorrow”

In your example,

A = “Daily - Tomorrow”

B = “Daily - Today”

Thank you for the reply. Hmm, Yahoo default was always "daily-tomorrow". I wonder if since they are moving to continuous if that will change? That was not specified in the "What's New". If it's still Daily-Tomorrow that is going to require making moves basically 3 days ahead. 

15 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

The deeper prospect pool (top 15 in each org) is a nice improvement, but it will likely be squandered by the 30 player maximum roster size, which doesn't leave enough slots in most leagues to bother stashing anything but the blue chip guys.

It would be nice if it was true. But, it sure looks like Andrew Vaughn isn't in the player pool. And if he's not in it than who knows who else might be missing. 

Edited by dan
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Do you mean projected values? If so, how is that even useful. It doesn't adjust for keepers and isnt league specific.

If you play in keeper leagues then true. If you play in standard Yahoo leagues then it’s very useful.

7 minutes ago, JNR0110 said:

You didn't quote the rest of it where the answer is:

• In a significant change for public and pro leagues, continuous waivers with FAAB (Free Agent Acquisition Budget) will now be used to claim players instead of Free Agents.
  • You will make claims to add players for the next day same as ever. However, claims are resolved by price paid and ties are broken by waiver priority.
  • This is much fairer than awarding players to the first player to make the claim. Sorry West Coasters, we have to be fair to everyone.
So it is the same with the ADDITION of the FAAB added.  Same exact time frame as before.  Just the screen that comes up looks different because of the bid box addition.

In other words you put in a waiver claim anytime like before.  I don't know what Yahoo's default for FAAB is but in my private leagues we just use $100.  Example:  So you have two openings on your team.  Player A you really want so you put in the claim as usual and an additional box pops up for the "money" so you put in say $8.  Player B you also put in a claim for but he is more fringe.  So you just put in $0 (nothing) for him.

If you have the better seed and no one put in anything higher for Player B, your fringe guy, you get him and your seed resets to the back of the pack.  If you and another player want Player A it comes down to who bid higher.  If it is a tie then it is decided by the higher seed.  If it isn't you get him based on that $8 bid and your seed remains the same and doesn't reset to the back of the pack.

2 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

You have 10 NA slots so in season you have 40 slots technically once your draft is over.  We use message board and spreadsheets and do the re-drafts in my dynasty league by hand so we never lose the 10 prospects from our team and the commish inserts them into the NA slots after the mini re-draft.  (The NA slots only return AFTER the draft is finished).  Plus you can overflow some prospects onto your active roster if you want.  A pain but it works.

Not being able to keep prospects (NA slots) safe year to year in dynasties via Yahoo software has been my one major complaint here for years.  I've given up on it ever being fixed and am content with the spreadsheet stuff cause a draft over a few days with message texting is actually pretty fun I've found.  Well unless one person drags their heels and slows everyone down that is.

9 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

If you play in keeper leagues then true. If you play in standard Yahoo leagues then it’s very useful.

Gotcha, but does that number adjust to roster size and league stat settings? I took a quick look and those numbers are no where near what guys go for in any auctions i am in.

2 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Gotcha, but does that number adjust to roster size and league stat settings? I took a quick look and those numbers are no where near what guys go for in any auctions i am in.

Well you usually have to add like $5 or so to every price listed for how much you actually should expect to pay, but it does also depend on league rules and whether it’s a dynasty or not. These are prices for redraft leagues.

Thanks Big Bat Theory for the response. I understand the FAAB/dollars aspect of it. I'm still not completely sure on the timing aspect of it. But you highlighted the below, which, if I'm interpreting this correctly, means they would be moving default to a "Daily-Today" since waivers will be continuous:

• In a significant change for public and pro leagues, continuous waivers with FAAB (Free Agent Acquisition Budget) will now be used to claim players instead of Free Agents.
  • You will make claims to add players for the next day same as ever. However, claims are resolved by price paid and ties are broken by waiver priority.
30 minutes ago, JNR0110 said:

Thanks Big Bat Theory for the response. I understand the FAAB/dollars aspect of it. I'm still not completely sure on the timing aspect of it. But you highlighted the below, which, if I'm interpreting this correctly, means they would be moving default to a "Daily-Today" since waivers will be continuous:

I assume it is waivers tomorrow in the sense they get added tomorrow (past 3 am eastern daylight) since that is Yahoo's default and nothing has changed as in the bolded above says next day.  Maybe we are mixing up the language between us though.

2 hours ago, duke of queens said:

Then im not sure what you mean then by auction prices. I only see player ranks

Go to Draft, then Edit My Values... It will display all players and they auction value and your league specific value based on settings.

3 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

I noticed I cannot edit rosters prior to the draft on Yahoo, which sucks as trades have been made in my league and will be on other teams when keepers are declared. I was able to edit them last year.

Yeah I read that and went huh?  So you made me look it up under commish's tools:

Edit Rosters

Availability: Post-Draft Only,

League Types: All

Edit the roster of any team for any editable day.

That's crazy.  People in dynasties and keepers want to and even need to trade pre-draft.

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah I read that and went huh?  So you made me look it up under commish's tools:

That's crazy.  People in dynasties and keepers want to and even need to trade pre-draft.

I even looked back last year and it opened on Jan. 31st. I made roster changes on Feb.1.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

I noticed I cannot edit rosters prior to the draft on Yahoo, which sucks as trades have been made in my league and will be on other teams when keepers are declared. I was able to edit them last year.

Yeah I used to be able to this in baseball, basketball and hockey for years. Football was the only sport of the 4 where they never let you add/drop players from teams pre-draft. They’re making things worse now. It’s enough that you can’t do offseason trades like ESPN allows you to, but now this?

2 minutes ago, DaGreatest said:

Yeah I used to be able to this in baseball, basketball and hockey for years. Football was the only sport of the 4 where they never let you add/drop players from teams pre-draft. They’re making things worse now. It’s enough that you can’t do offseason trades like ESPN allows you to, but now this?

If they are not going to let you edit they need to keep the leagues open at all times for trades. The keeper process is already half-assed and this just makes things even more complicated. Waiting for BBT to defend Yahoo again.🙂 The fact that Ohtani is still 2 players is an even more annoyance. 2+ years and they can't make him 1. Other sites did this in months. I have had to do a workaround and add placeholders to 11 of 12 teams in the league.

23 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

I even looked back last year and it opened on Jan. 31st. I made roster changes on Feb.1.

7 minutes ago, DaGreatest said:

A suggestion.  Could all of us effected here kind of pledge to go out and find a way to send a message to Yahoo?  Explain to them the basic concepts of dynasty and keeper dynamics. 

And whoever is first to find a way to actually contact them could they post it here since they usually hide how to contact them in fine print and endless menus.

Also not just trades are effected.  I emailed a commish and he was gonna hold a dispersal draft for several openings in his league so it would be more fair to the new owners coming aboard which he can't now.

PS:  Hay I have also always been Yahoo's toughest critic in the past too.  My long NA disappearing each spring pre-draft fight with them is a legend.

• Haha 1