NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Yoenis Cespedes 2020 Outlook

Sidearmer

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/eduardo-perez-sheds-more-light-on-conversation-with-mets-yoenis-cespedes-hes-driven-to-play-again/312268918

On Thursday, Eduardo Perez told the world, via MLB Radio, that Yoenis Cespedes predicted he'll hit 40 home runs next season, or maybe even 52 to match the number on his back.

I'm at least intrigued here. With the reduction in his contract, a lot of the lost value was converted into incentives. This is also the last year of his deal. This is his age 34 season. If he goes out and has a monster season, he can get one more big deal. He has historically had his best years in contract seasons and is clearly motivated right now.

There should be more clarity heading into Spring Training but he's someone to keep an eye on in the last rounds of your draft.

• Like 4

Great flier if super cheap.  Don’t hang around once the DTD’s roll in though.  Guy ruined his body lifting cars on leg presses.  He’ll never stay healthy for long stretches his body is toast for rigors of athletic Day to Day sports like baseball.  But in spurts he can be good.  

17 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I agree he’s an interesting flyer depending on the news heading into spring , but I’d be shocked if he gets a long term deal after this one regardless of his performance this season .

I'm not thinking super long term but he can definitely get a 2 or 3 year deal with $20M+ AAV if he actually puts up a monster year, compared to likely a 1 year couple million incentive laden deal he'd be in line for with a mediocre year.

• Like 1

Cespedes and the Mets recently agreed to restructure his contract downward by quite a lot of money due to his accident on his ranch last year.

Reportedly the Mets stopped paying him after the accident.   MLBPA filed a grievance and agreed to the reduction rather than risk a precedent setting contract avoidance which was a real possibility due to the unconfirmed details of what really happened that day.

This makes Cespedes getting traded to the AL where the DH should allow his legs a better chance for more AB's this year likely.  Needs to stay healthy during spring training when I think it could get done.    The Mets have a surplus of OF'ers at the moment and of course no DH spot.

If traded,  a motivated Cespedes should make him a nice value later in drafts.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 7:20 AM, Sidearmer said:

I'm not thinking super long term but he can definitely get a 2 or 3 year deal with $20M+ AAV if he actually puts up a monster year, 

No he won't. Better and younger players have failed over the past few years to get that kind of deal.

But he's not going to have a monster year so the point is moot anyway.

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2019 at 7:20 AM, Sidearmer said:

I'm not thinking super long term but he can definitely get a 2 or 3 year deal with $20M+ AAV if he actually puts up a monster year, compared to likely a 1 year couple million incentive laden deal he'd be in line for with a mediocre year.

I’d expect more of the Donaldson line. One year prove it deal then if he does well a 3ish year deal for real money. 

• 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

surprised he lasted that long. he'll be a steal at that pick

i think people just forgot.  its a competitive league too.  but yea, anytime after 200 is probably a safe risk/reward situation

• Like 1

• 4 months later...