NBC Sports Edge Forums

Toronto Blue Jays 2020 Outlook

I was really impressed to see the signing of Ryu tonight.  Finally the Jays are showing some willingness to spend money and be competitive. (Yes I know his contract may be a little too much and he has injury concerns).

But now things seem way better than the did back in June of 2019.

The lineup will probably be

Bo Bichette SS

Cavan Biggo 2b

Vlad Guerrero Jr 3B

Lourdes Gurriel Jr LF

Teoscar Hernandez CF

R. Tellez DH

Randall Grichuk RF

Travis Shaw 1B

Danny Jansen C

Now they have a rotation of

Ryu

Chase Anderson

Roark

Shoemaker (until injured)

Thornton

Not exactly shoe ins for a playoff spot but they have an outside chance for a WC spot.

Edited by KingJoffrey
  • Like 2
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a Pittsburgh resident, it'll be nice to have an MLB team playing here, even if we can't go see them in person.

As a Jays fan, I'm very pleased with what they've accomplished this off season. What was supposed to be a multi year rebuild is already turning the corner in year two. Despite some thinking the rotati

They probably won't be ready this year but there's at least some potential now. Ryu is a solid get, just needs to stay healthy. They need a couple more players on offense and in the rotation but all of their good players are young, low cost, and have several years of control. If they can make a few more big acquisitions over next few years they can be scary.

• Like 1

As a Jays fan, I'm very pleased with what they've accomplished this off season. What was supposed to be a multi year rebuild is already turning the corner in year two. Despite some thinking the rotation is "piss", it's a big improvement in a short time, and was done without having to give up any long term assets, or give out contracts that will make you cry in 5-6 years. 

They very well might end up 4th in the AL East again, but the gap is really closing. The Rays continue to Ray despite being very good last year, trying to pinch every penny and still remain relevant. The Red Sox are constantly in the rumor mill for dumping salary / Betts / Price / etc. 

If the young core of Vlad, Bichette, Biggio, and Gurriel continue to grow this year, the team will be very dangerous offensively. The pitching staff just needs to be competent to give them a chance to win, and Pearson looks close and like a potential ace. 

And just as a baseball fan in general, it's nice to see teams like the Jays and White Sox actually start trying to win again. At least gives fans something to care about. Everyone is so caught up on having to compete with the stacked, bottomless bank account teams, that they're too scared to ever come out of a rebuild. 

• Like 6
10 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

I was really impressed to see the signing of Ryu tonight.  Finally the Jays are showing some willingness to spend money and be competitive. (Yes I know his contract may be a little too much and he has injury concerns).

But now things seem way better than the did back in June of 2019.

The lineup will probably be

Bo Bichette SS

Cavan Biggo 2b

Vlad Guerrero Jr 3B

Lourdes Gurriel Jr LF

Teoscar Hernandez CF

R. Tellez DH

Randall Grichuk RF

Travis Shaw 1B

Danny Jansen C

Now they have a rotation of

Ryu

Chase Anderson

Roark

Shoemaker (until injured)

Thornton

Not exactly shoe ins for a playoff spot but they have an outside chance for a WC spot.

Don’t forget about Shun Yamaguchi.  Could end up one the bullpen but should be given an opportunity to start.

The Jays were one of the worst hitting teams in 2019 if you look at April and May.  Bottom 3 in the AL.  But by June, after the callups, team shot up to be middle of the AL pretty much (Unitl September where they regressed a bit but lost Bichette).

So really Im not sure why team can't be top 5 in offense so long as it's healthy and VGJ improves to where he should be and they find a decent 1B.

• Like 1
On 12/28/2019 at 4:24 PM, jonninho said:

As a Jays fan, i am interested where you heard this..

"Appearing Tuesday on SportsNet 590 The FAN, Toronto journalist Joey Vendetta said that the Toronto Blue Jays offered the righty $300 million.

“I heard from a reliable source, a very reliable source, someone that knows the front office, that’s involved in the running of the team,” said Vendetta. “They offered $300 million dollars to Gerrit Cole to become a Toronto Blue Jay.”

I want to believe this is true...since he was never signing in Toronto without a severe overpay there is little downside in spreading this rumor.

Edited by itaos

It seems (all spec at this point) that both CBS and Roster Resource are thinking that former PIT 1st Rd pick Reese McGuire is the primary catcher. Even were rumors they were shopping Jansen this off-season. Reese had a pretty good year at AAA and then came up in Sept and looked very comfortable (albeit in SSS). I think he is an excellent deep league sleeper going into this season.

48 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

It seems (all spec at this point) that both CBS and Roster Resource are thinking that former PIT 1st Rd pick Reese McGuire is the primary catcher. Even were rumors they were shopping Jansen this off-season. Reese had a pretty good year at AAA and then came up in Sept and looked very comfortable (albeit in SSS). I think he is an excellent deep league sleeper going into this season.

Thats a pretty interesting find on RR, but I think ultimately not that important. I can't imagine the Blue Jays trade  Jansen right now when his value is so low despite having like 5 more years of control. I know they have a couple decent Catching prospects (Alejandro Kirk one I like for fantasy), but they are a couple years away.

RR is being cute here looking into splits, but I have to imagine they want Jansen to succeed. I'm not saying he will, but Jansen will get more PAs than just the vs LHP RR is currently projecting.  Also Mcguires SSS has to be thrown out based on how poor he did as a hitter with more PAs in AAA. Mcguire has very little power and his 299 BA is certainly inflated by his BABIP which while seemingly not too high  (.324) seems to be really high for a catcher.

Personally think both are nothing more than a deeper league 2nd catcher, but I still rather have Jansen and his upside (for a catcher anyway)

• Like 2

Agreed, RR is a bit out to lunch on their Jays lineup right now.  They are trying to say since McGuire is a lefty that he would be the strong side of a platoon with the right handed hitting Jansen.  But I highly doubt that's how this shakes out.  McGuire has never been thought of as a good hitting prospect, and Jansen I'm thinking will take a step forward this year after getting his feet wet in MLB in 2019.

RR also has Grichuk starting in CF, Derek Fisher starting in RF, and Teoscar Hernandez starting at DH.  That to me seems very unlikely - Grichuk played primarily in RF, and is not a good defensive CF, so that is where I seem him in 2020 as well.  Teoscar and Fisher could form a L/R platoon in CF, slash play-the-hot-hand, with the other being the 4th OF or occasional DH.  And RR also has Rowdy Tellez back in AAA, whereas I think he will have the inside track for main DH and backup 1B, as long as his hitting can take a bit of a step forward.

7 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

Agreed, RR is a bit out to lunch on their Jays lineup right now.  They are trying to say since McGuire is a lefty that he would be the strong side of a platoon with the right handed hitting Jansen.  But I highly doubt that's how this shakes out.  McGuire has never been thought of as a good hitting prospect, and Jansen I'm thinking will take a step forward this year after getting his feet wet in MLB in 2019.

RR also has Grichuk starting in CF, Derek Fisher starting in RF, and Teoscar Hernandez starting at DH.  That to me seems very unlikely - Grichuk played primarily in RF, and is not a good defensive CF, so that is where I seem him in 2020 as well.  Teoscar and Fisher could form a L/R platoon in CF, slash play-the-hot-hand, with the other being the 4th OF or occasional DH.  And RR also has Rowdy Tellez back in AAA, whereas I think he will have the inside track for main DH and backup 1B, as long as his hitting can take a bit of a step forward.

How do they (RR or any website) guess what they guess?  And it is all just guesses at this point.  Rotoworld's guess has your argument of Teoscar and Fisher sharing CF with Lourdes Gurriel Jr starting in LF and Grichuk in right and Rowdy Tellez DH-ing with Travis Shaw at 1B.

If Jansen starts hitting he will play.  If he slumps for a long time he loses some more games to McGuire and his glove.  It is on Jansen's bat to hold his position as the alpha catcher.

Also have to remember that Jansen didn’t focus on his offence, he was told to focus on his defence that lacked.  After a full season he was 4th on the AL throwing out runners and was near the top in pitch framing.  The Jays openly said they didn’t care if he hit, they would  rather have a defensive catcher. Mission accomplished, he is going to play.   He is better offensively than McGuire as well.  I can see the latter being traded. Jansen is also more marketable.  “Don’t run on Danny”.  

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

The shortened season could be a blessing for the Jays as Ryu and Shoemaker could stay healthy through most of it and there shouldn’t be any limitations on playing time for the kids.

The top 4 of Bo-Biggio-vlad-gurriel is interesting with limitless potential. But the rest of the lineup.. well can’t stay optimistic.

• 2 weeks later...

Props to the Jays for trying to save this season from possible bad behavior by players:

According to TSN Blue Jays Reporter Scott Mitchell, Toronto Blue Jays players have been told the penalty if they are seen outside the ballpark/hotel bubble is a $750,000 fine and potential jail time.

You need something serious like this to get the attention of some of these players.  Hope other teams follow suit though you know the Players Association will go into full whine mode.

$750K fine? Yikes. I know baseball players are rich and all, but team control players don’t make that much in a full season, never mind a shortened one. That could bankrupt some of the younger guys, or even vets who didn’t save their money wisely.

If I’m a Blue Jay player I just opt out. It’s already debatable whether being stuck in a bubble for a shortened baseball season that probably won’t finish is worth it. Add that potential punishment and it seems like a no-brainer to not play.

2 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

$750K fine? Yikes. I know baseball players are rich and all, but team control players don’t make that much in a full season, never mind a shortened one. That could bankrupt some of the younger guys, or even vets who didn’t save their money wisely.

If I’m a Blue Jay player I just opt out. It’s already debatable whether being stuck in a bubble for a shortened baseball season that probably won’t finish is worth it. Add that potential punishment and it seems like a no-brainer to not play.

If they just opt out for no underlying reasons (their health, family members health, etc) they don't get paid anything at all.  Zero.  Toronto did the right thing trying to both save the season AND protect their players.  I hope other teams follow suit.  I don't know if they will but I hope they do.

Also remember the Jays had to get special permission from the Canadian government to even fly their players in from the US let alone play in Toronto this season so they are on thin ice as well because at any time I imagine the Canadian government could rescind that permission if say a bunch of ball players slip out of the allowed bubble and are seen out clubbing on Yonge Street or something. 

The bubble is around the area of the hotel the players are suppose to hunker down in while in Toronto btw.  I wonder if that was part of the deal that got them that special permission to come to and play in Canada.

In other news the Jays are slated to come to Boston on the 21st and 22nd for two exhibition games right before the start of said season.  I know the Sox were looking for another team to play before the start since exhibition games are at least a bit better than inter-squad games.  Looks like the Jays took them up on the offer.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Props to the Jays for trying to save this season from possible bad behavior by players:

You need something serious like this to get the attention of some of these players.  Hope other teams follow suit though you know the Players Association will go into full whine mode.

It was clarified later that this only applies to the first two weeks. 

On 7/10/2020 at 10:30 PM, gbill2004 said:

It was clarified later that this only applies to the first two weeks. 

I found out why now.  I saw on TV that the Jays ONLY have official approval to workout at their ballpark in Toronto.  They still haven't gotten permission to play ball there this season which would mean 9 different other teams having to enter Canada with special permission and maybe more if they made the playoffs.

If they don;t get approved to PLAY in Toronto this season they could wind up in Buffalo where their AAA team is which would make sense or make in  Dunedin in the middle of the Florida covid surge which doesn't make any sense at all.

But if they do get approval they may well end up with strict rules and fines for the regular season as well.