NBC Sports Edge Forums

Toronto Blue Jays 2020 Outlook

Mixed messages:

Ontario's heritage, sport, tourism and culture minister Lisa MacLeod told TSN 1200 in Ottawa that the Blue Jays have been given permission to play their home games at Rogers Centre this season.

Multiple Blue Jays beat writers are hearing that it's not a done deal yet, and the team also hasn't revealed anything. Still, things appear to be trending in the right direction for the Jays to be able to play in Toronto. We should find out more in the coming days.

Source: TSN 1200 on Twitter              Jul 16, 2020, 3:57 PM ET

Looking like there could be baseball in Canada this year.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a Pittsburgh resident, it'll be nice to have an MLB team playing here, even if we can't go see them in person.

As a Jays fan, I'm very pleased with what they've accomplished this off season. What was supposed to be a multi year rebuild is already turning the corner in year two. Despite some thinking the rotati

27 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

No mixed messages. If the Heritage Minister said it's approved, it's a done deal. 

I'm canadian, provincial government and whatever the heritage minster is have approved it, the federal government has not and that is the next step.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, turner46 said:

I'm canadian, provincial government and whatever the heritage minster is have approved it, the federal government has not and that is the next step.

I'm Canadian as well.  Again if the Heritage minister approved, it, it's a done deal.  She wouldn't say stuff like that without doing her due diligence.  

Edited by gbill2004
3 hours ago, gbill2004 said:

I'm Canadian as well.  Again if the Heritage minister approved, it, it's a done deal.  She wouldn't say stuff like that without doing her due diligence.  

News says Canadian federal gov't now has to approve.  That was just Ontario's approval.  I even know that and I'm American.

13 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

News says Canadian federal gov't now has to approve.  That was just Ontario's approval.  I even know that and I'm American.

The Feds are just gauging public reaction. Feds will rubber stamp this in a few days. Like I said, it's a done deal. 

Yep:

The Associated Press reports that the Canadian government has denied approval for the Blue Jays to play games in Toronto during the COVID-19 pandemic.

There appeared to be some optimism about the possibility just a couple of days ago, with city and provincial governments signing off on the plan, but the federal government ultimately decided against it. This is undoubtedly due to the risk presented by Blue Jays players and opposing teams traveling from hot spots in the United States (including Florida) to Canada. The decision will likely force the Blue Jays to play their home games in Buffalo, New York. The team was surely prepared for this possibility, but obviously it's not an ideal circumstance with the start of the season mere days away.

Source: Associated Press                          Jul 18, 2020, 2:42 PM ET

I "surely" hope they were prepared anyway.  But I wouldn't count that they had Plan B in place as well.

Could Cuomo (NY) and Baker (MA)  deny teams entry into their states from hotspots like Florida? What happens to say the Yankees or returning from Florida? There is a 14 day quarantine right now.

Edited by coleporter
Spelling

If they play in Sahlen Field (Buffalo)..dimensions are

Left Field: 325 ft (99 m) Left-Center Field: 371 ft (113 m) Center Field: 404 ft (123 m) Right-Center Field: 367 ft (112 m) Right Field: 325 ft (99 m)

Place had about a neutral park factor.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

If they play in Sahlen Field (Buffalo)..dimensions are

Left Field: 325 ft (99 m) Left-Center Field: 371 ft (113 m) Center Field: 404 ft (123 m) Right-Center Field: 367 ft (112 m) Right Field: 325 ft (99 m)

Place had about a neutral park factor.

And reports on national news broadcasts in US -- CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC etc, not sports news -- all say Jays were deciding between Buffalo and spring training complex in Dunedin but favored Buffalo overwhelmingly because of the Florida massive covid surge.

15 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

So they approve hockey and not baseball? What am I missing?

Yes, you're missing lots.

Hockey is a bubble with 2 hub cities. Baseball is not. 

Edited by gbill2004
  • Like 2
20 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

So they approve hockey and not baseball? What am I missing?

4 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Yes, you're missing lots.

Hockey is a bubble with 2 hub cities. Baseball is not. 

This, it's a huge difference 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

I know there are two hub cities,  but I dont remember hearing about a bubble.

You're clearly uneducated on the topic. I'd suggest go doing your research and then the major differences will become clearer to you.