NBC Sports Edge Forums

Vladimir Guerrero Jr 2020 Outlook

He's ready to prove why he was the top prospect in the game over the past few years.

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. homered to supply all of the scoring in the Blue Jays' rain-shortened game against the Red Sox on Wednesday.

The game was called with the Jays up 2-0 after 4 1/2 innings. Guerrero crushed a Brian Johnson pitch well over Fenway's Green Monster for his fourth homer in 30 at-bats during exhibition play. Not many players are going to have a shot of eclipsing their homer totals from 2019 in this abbreviated season, but Guerrero just might; he finished with 15 homers in 123 games as a rookie.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What’s probably more laughable is quoting a players’ WAR after 89 PAs.

Pretty good for a 20 year old 

You seem to be conflating fantasy and reality. For fantasy, he was way over drafted and will likely be again this season. We agree. For a 20 year-old in the majors, he had a fantastic season, a

Posted Images

That Brian Johnson pitch was about as meatbally as meatballs get. Vlad did what he was supposed to do with it though. Hoping for big things from the big fella.

Edited by RogerKlotz
1 minute ago, RogerKlotz said:

That Brian Johnson pitch was about as meatbally as meatballs get. Vlad did what he was supposed to do with it though. Hoping for big things from the big fella.

No offense to you but these posts always puzzle me. If you really broke it down you would likely find that the large majority of homers come on mistake pitches and meatballs. There is a reason the top pitchers in the game consistently have low numbers - they don't make nearly as many mistakes and they have better stuff, which leads to less meatballs. Scouting reports are made on every hitter, and pitchers try to use them and avoid their wheelhouses. But they make mistakes and good hitters make them pay for them. The best pitchers hit their spots more consistently and don't give up as many long balls.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, RogerKlotz said:

It's really not that complicated my man. This was a meatball:

I'm not saying it wasn't. I'm simply saying most homers come on meatball pitches. And that's all I have to say about that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Quickly starting to regret my decision to fade Vlad in all my redrafts. 🚀 🚀 

This is obviously a desirable location, but is Camden that much more hitter friendly than Rogers Centre? Rogers is a launching pad in its own-right.

Edited by bradwatson
16 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

This is obviously a desirable location, but is Camden that much more hitter friendly than Rogers Centre? Rogers is a launching pad in its own-right.

Yes, it’s a significant improvement to LF and CF, while it’s neutral to RF.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, IDGAFOS said:

This guy is the reincarnation of Dmitri Young but even more worthless.  Should be fun to follow his ADP over the year.s

Odd timing to post this given he has 3 doubles in the past 2 games and missed a homer by about 2 feet last night. It's the strangest season ever and they are coming off of 4 days of postponements due to COVID.

3 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

Odd timing to post this given he has 3 doubles in the past 2 games and missed a homer by about 2 feet last night. It's the strangest season ever and they are coming off of 4 days of postponements due to COVID.

Trea Turner missed a HR by 2 feet last night too.  How much are doubles and warning shots helping your fantasy team?  Sorry I don't find much exciting about a fat 21 year old whose only getting fatter.

Edited by IDGAFOS
1 minute ago, IDGAFOS said:

Trea Turner missed a HR by 2 feet last night too.  How much are doubles and warning shots helping your fantasy team?

Doubles are pretty helpful to the OPS tbh. The point was that he's had a couple good games in a row and could be finding a groove. If he keeps squaring up baseballs and hitting doubles, the homers will come.

1 hour ago, Doctor_L said:

ezgif-5-92fba423387d.jpg

You could also add Moncada in there. Sometimes a sure thing is in fact a sure thing, but not immediately. Not everyone is a Soto or Tatis and is a star from day one. Vlad still has such raw talent that the odds of him becoming a perennial 300/400/500 hitter still feel better than not.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, sleepysock said:

You could also add Moncada in there. Sometimes a sure thing is in fact a sure thing, but not immediately. Not everyone is a Soto or Tatis and is a star from day one. Vlad still has such raw talent that the odds of him becoming a perennial 300/400/500 hitter still feel better than not.

The worst thing that has happened for Vladito in the fantasy space is Soto, Tatis, and Acuna banging as soon as they hit the league. Everyone expects instant stardom because of these freaks. Plenty of top prospects have floundered in the early goings before turning into absolute stars. Yelich was a former top prospect, not nearly as highly regarded as VDJ, but he was a top prospect and it took him about 5 years to become a true fantasy asset and now he's one of the best in the game. And of course Devers from the graphic above is a great comp of a former top prospect struggling before having a yuge breakout. No idea what Vlad's career trajectory will look like, but I haven't lost a bit of hope on him long term.

Edited by bradwatson
  • Like 2
On 8/12/2020 at 10:32 AM, bradwatson said:

The worst thing that has happened for Vladito in the fantasy space is Soto, Tatis, and Acuna banging as soon as they hit the league. Everyone expects instant stardom because of these freaks. Plenty of top prospects have floundered in the early goings before turning into absolute stars. Yelich was a former top prospect, not nearly as highly regarded as VDJ, but he was a top prospect and it took him about 5 years to become a true fantasy asset and now he's one of the best in the game. And of course Devers from the graphic above is a great comp of a former top prospect struggling before having a yuge breakout. No idea what Vlad's career trajectory will look like, but I haven't lost a bit of hope on him long term.

vladito is one dimensional and not performing at his one dimension - he shouldn't be in the majors right now it's that simple.

• Haha 1
On 8/12/2020 at 5:11 AM, sleepysock said:

Speaking of Moncada, Vlad should not have been drafted over him in any league.

• Like 1
On 7/23/2020 at 11:50 AM, meh2 said:

Quickly starting to regret my decision to fade Vlad in all my redrafts. 🚀 🚀 

That regret faded pretty quickly. Fun facts: Vlad finished with the 10th highest ground ball rate in all of baseball last year. He’s moving up the leaderboard as this year he’s up to 5th! He’s looking more and more like a right-handed, slower, heavier Eric Hosmer than the best young hitting prospect in baseball.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, IDGAFOS said:

vladito is one dimensional and not performing at his one dimension - he shouldn't be in the majors right now it's that simple.

What player in the minors for the Blue Jays should have Vlad's job?  

People act like they have a waiver wire where they can just pick up Evan Longoria or Donnavan Solano for free just to replace Vlad to put up. slightly better (if even) short term stats (on a likely losing. team regardless)  rather than develop one of their best young pieces.

Saying Vlad should be in the minors is laughable. Yes. he's a 21 year old not performing. well right now. Yes Juan Soto was a lower ranked prospect and is significantly better.  

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1