Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yordan Alvarez 2020 Outlook


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

 

It's now known that he had Covid, which is why he was out in the beginning of the season.  We don't know the severity, but it can sometimes take weeks/months to recover.   And I do feel like you need time to get ready?  I mean nobody got the time they needed this season, but doing nothing for months and then just running for a week can't be easy for Yordan

 

He couldve been running/doing knee strengthening exercises fairly easily even with Quarantine during the entire off season, without knowing how long/severe his COVID symptoms were, hard to say how long he was bedridden for lack of a better term to where he couldnt complete said exercises, hes a DH, shouldnt be that hard on his knees simply running IMO

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This might be. Heres his spring training pic: 

I did a little research and.... You weren't joking man!

I'm curious about predictions for the entire season,  not just the first half.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

 

It's now known that he had Covid, which is why he was out in the beginning of the season.  We don't know the severity, but it can sometimes take weeks/months to recover.   And I do feel like you need time to get ready?  I mean nobody got the time they needed this season, but doing nothing for months and then just running for a week can't be easy for Yordan

 

Nothing is easy for Senor Glass

Link to post
Share on other sites

To me, this injury dates back years and not weeks or months.  He's been rumored to have a bad knee going back a few years.  I actually am relieved to find out he had an injured knee and that he doesn't have "bad knees" which as a dynasty owner scared the crap out of me.  I'm happy that they found this and are fixing it and that he may be able to start fresh next season. Because of the "bad knees" thing I had been giving serious thought to trying to offload the risk.  I am encouraged that this could fix that problem and give him a clean slate starting next year - at least for a few years anyway.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

 

It's now known that he had Covid, which is why he was out in the beginning of the season.  We don't know the severity, but it can sometimes take weeks/months to recover.   And I do feel like you need time to get ready?  I mean nobody got the time they needed this season, but doing nothing for months and then just running for a week can't be easy for Yordan

Here’s your answer - torn patellar tendon.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Here’s your answer - torn patellar tendon.

 

Thanks. Really shocking that this is after 'clean' MRI's... it must be a tear relatively deep in there and obviously not a full tear for them to have missed it. I figured when the MRI was clean it was a bone structure type issue, but it makes sense to repair this now and hope this is a long-term solution for him. Big bummer for people who just got him back, but this is the only reasonable path forward, it seems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aapox said:

 

Thanks. Really shocking that this is after 'clean' MRI's... it must be a tear relatively deep in there and obviously not a full tear for them to have missed it. I figured when the MRI was clean it was a bone structure type issue, but it makes sense to repair this now and hope this is a long-term solution for him. Big bummer for people who just got him back, but this is the only reasonable path forward, it seems.


Once repaired, how does this impact his long term outlook as a hitter? Even assuming he stays at DH...

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, UberRebel said:


Once repaired, how does this impact his long term outlook as a hitter? Even assuming he stays at DH...

 

The real answer is we can't really know. These injuries and everyone's body are all different, unique situations. He could make a full recovery and be fine, but it could also be debilitating enough to where it jeopardizes his career because we know that athletes need to be at peak performance to succeed.

The patellar tendon tear is one of the worst knee tears you can have because it's less common (and thus sports medicine science has not advanced as much, think ACL tears) and it's a major, absolutely necessary part of the knee function (again referencing the ACL as less important). You have to be optimistic, though, for 3 reasons. 1) his game does not require peak athleticism or cutting type movements. I understand how difficult it is to have a swing mechanic that catches up to (or, slows down to) major league pitching, but he's not a speed player on offense or defense. 2) He's young. The younger you are, the better your body heals, and the more time you have to rehab and adapt. 3) The MRI was not immediately flagging the injury. We can't know, but we can make an educated guess that it was a partial tear at worse, which tend to have better successful surgeries and healing rates than ruptures.  

I'm not in the field or a doctor or anything, I'm just casually interest in sports injuries and medicine, including my own knee injury and rehab about 12 years ago. I hope this helps! anyone is welcome to correct me :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

FWIW, i completely tore my PT completely off my kneecap and had it reattached/rehabbed.  I was back to 100% within a few months and playing rec sports (this was in my mid-30s) and running a few miles a few days a week.

 

Obviously all situations can be different, but I'm not a world class athlete with the finest of doctors at my disposal either.

 

[...] 

 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Assistant Coach content
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ChiSox1390 said:

Flying under the radar... will hit in 3 hole with loss of Springer and Brantley, somehow looking like a sleeper right now. 

Yeah, but without Springer and Brantley, how is that lineup going to perform? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mtblock said:

Yeah, but without Springer and Brantley, how is that lineup going to perform? 

Still have Altuve, Bergman, Correa, and Tucker. Top of the order should be fine

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2020 at 10:39 AM, crotchcrickets said:

FWIW, i completely tore my PT completely off my kneecap and had it reattached/rehabbed.  I was back to 100% within a few months and playing rec sports (this was in my mid-30s) and running a few miles a few days a week.

 

Obviously all situations can be different, but I'm not a world class athlete with the finest of doctors at my disposal either.

 

[...] 

 

Bodies recover quicker in your 30s than 50s though.  Just saying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2020 at 6:29 PM, 2ndCitySox said:

Still have Altuve, Bergman, Correa, and Tucker. Top of the order should be fine

True, but at least Altuve and Bregman took a step back. Might take a slight hit on the gaudy RBI #s, but they'll still be elite if he can keep everything else consistent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

He accomplished more in his rookie year than Oden did in his NBA career.

Haha very good point. I just meant having bad knees when you are barely old enough to drink legally. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...