NBC Sports Edge Forums

Milwaukee Brewers 2020 Outlook

I’m trying to figure out their plans and depth chart. It’s a hitter-friendly park and they have a good lineup. 

But the Avisail García signing supposedly pushed Ryan Braun to 1B. 

Then they acquired Ryon Healy. Ok, maybe he’s a good backup and reserve?

Then the sign Smoak. This makes it difficult to project PT, batting order, and all sorts of stuff.

Anyone got some guesses on what the heck they’re doing in the front office or what the plan is?

Lineup:

3B Sogard

CF Cain

RF Yelich

2B Hiura

1B Braun

LF Garcia

C Navarez

SS Urias

P

If Sogard goes back to sucking or Cain gets even worse than 2019 then drop them to 7 or 8 and move Hiura up to #3.

Smoak to platoon at 1B.

Healy to backup 1B and 3B.

Sogard (3B, 2B,SS, OF) and Braun (1B, LF) can be moved around when necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It has been a weird off-season, but Stearns has proven quite good at locating good, cheaper talents. They will likely continue to beat my expected win totals.

From what I have read they are approximately 25 or so million under their (rather low) salary commitments from last year, so more value moves on short deals are probably in the works? Have to believe that can be allocated towards pitching depth? With their bad farm it will be difficult to improve much via trades, though Stearns always seems to find a way.

Current Rotation:

#1 Woodruff (whom I like quite a bit this year)

#2 Houser

#3 Brett Anderson (good for 50 innings or so)

#4 Josh Lindblom 

#5 Eric Lauer 

Bench options: Peralta, Zack Brown (AAA when not making country hits)

So yeah, starting pitching looks bleak, but it did last year too and it worked ok. Still, if this team can't get stronger options in the rotation, then they need to get some more depth at least. Bullpen is still a strong point but I don't know if they brewers can run them through the grinder for yet another year and not suffer any consequences.

18 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Current Rotation:

#1 Woodruff (whom I like quite a bit this year)

#2 Houser

#3 Brett Anderson (good for 50 innings or so)

#4 Josh Lindblom 

#5 Eric Lauer 

Bench options: Peralta, Zack Brown (AAA when not making country hits)

So yeah, starting pitching looks bleak, but it did last year too and it worked ok. Still, if this team can't get stronger options in the rotation, then they need to get some more depth at least. Bullpen is still a strong point but I don't know if they brewers can run them through the grinder for yet another year and not suffer any consequences.

Yeah the rotation has looked straight bad for a few years, apparently Stearns just does not want to commit multi year pacts with FA starters.

They really work their pen extraordinarily hard with this sort of rotation construction. Hader scares me this year. At least Knebel will be back by May or so.

4 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah the rotation has looked straight bad for a few years, apparently Stearns just does not want to commit multi year pacts with FA starters.

They really work their pen extraordinarily hard with this sort of rotation construction. Hader scares me this year. At least Knebel will be back by May or so.

Yes Hader looks primed for a breakdown like Andrew Miller. But he will only be 26 this year, so youth is on his side.

Maybe they are better off building bullpen depth, which is quite cheaper and easier to assemble (although more volatile year to year)

Edited by 2ndCitySox
20 hours ago, Strike Three said:

Not to mention no balls to make your own

I have no desire to make a prediction on who will lead the league in runs scored on December 27th, 2019. I just dont believe given the line up the Brewers would trot out there at this moment that it would be them. What logic is behind your prediction? Kinda sounds like youre a fan boy making such predictions..

• Haha 1
On 12/26/2019 at 12:44 AM, hailtoyourvictor said:

Lineup:

3B Sogard

CF Cain

RF Yelich

2B Hiura

1B Braun

LF Garcia

C Navarez

SS Urias

P

If Sogard goes back to sucking or Cain gets even worse than 2019 then drop them to 7 or 8 and move Hiura up to #3.

Smoak to platoon at 1B.

Healy to backup 1B and 3B.

Sogard (3B, 2B,SS, OF) and Braun (1B, LF) can be moved around when necessary.

I don't think they are going to move Yelich out of the #2 spot as this is where he's basically hit from the past few years and it's worked well.  

• Like 1
On 12/28/2019 at 12:29 PM, KingJoffrey said:

I don't think they are going to move Yelich out of the #2 spot as this is where he's basically hit from the past few years and it's worked well.  

That would be my prediction because I don’t think it’s likely we get both 2018 Cain AND 2019 Toronto Sogard. If we get those, them to probably bay 1-2. If we don’t, one or both drop to the back of the lineup and Yeli and Hiura bat 2-3 instead of 3-4.

just my opinion, of course.

Edited by hailtoyourvictor
  • Like 1

I predict the Brewers only finish ahead of the Pirates in their division. Yes the Brewers score a lot of runs at home but this pitching staff and their defense stinks. Too many DH types in a NL team. They have lost Moustakis, Grandal and picked up Narvaez to be their catcher. Their best pitcher Hader is a setup man. I predict 71 wins. They still have Hiura and Yelich so they have not bottomed out yet. Add in the worst minor league system and u have a free falling team that will prolly completely crash next year. Another weird thing WHY give all those ABs to Shaw and Aguilar last year when neither was in ur future plans? I figured Sogard would replace Arcia at SS but it looks like Sogard has a couple of positions he can replace DH type vets. 

71 puts them below even the Pittsburgh projection of 73.5. I don't think they'll be that bad, but I agree with the general sentiment that they could bottom out swiftly. That lineup is full of holes and the rotation is a bunch of question marks. I don't even see how Sogard at 3B and leading off is even tenable. Their offseason has been very confusing.

This just sounds more like they are a win now team than a team that will struggle.

And regarding the defense they will be much improved with Shaw, Moustakas, and Aguilar out with Urias and Sogard coming in.

They will be primed to trade for a starter at the deadline but right now they at least have theoretical depth with a bunch of guys who are probably bad but we don't know that is 100% a fact (Houser, Burnes, Suter, Lindblom, Faria, Peralta). With Woodruff and Lauer as steady guys they only need 1 or 2 of that group to be serviceable then they can make a trade and be set.

• Like 1

The Brewers are more a falling team whose window has closed. 1. urias 2. Yelich 3. Hiura 4. Braun 5. Avisail 6. Cain 7. Sogard 8. Narvaez. Not a terrible batting order but not inspiring either. Maybe Corey ray, Smoak, or Healey can carve out big roles in this offense. as for their pitching well I will sum it up as Not so good. I don't see any trade bait either.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, hailfire4 said:

The Brewers are more a falling team whose window has closed. 1. urias 2. Yelich 3. Hiura 4. Braun 5. Avisail 6. Cain 7. Sogard 8. Narvaez. Not a terrible batting order but not inspiring either. Maybe Corey ray, Smoak, or Healey can carve out big roles in this offense. as for their pitching well I will sum it up as Not so good. I don't see any trade bait either.

The lineup is as good as last year 

While i dont agree with another poster who suggests this team will lead the league in runs scored, i definitely believe this team atleast the on the offensive side of the ball does have talent. A full year of Hiura can be pretty interesting along with the addition of Urias. Yelich back to health and Navarez is no slouch either.. actually, neither is Smoak who i feel is a very under rated signing (Jays fan speaking)