NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Commissioner Help

crazyfingers711

So we have a yahoo keeper league at work.  Been running for 5 years now or so.  Someone in my league dropped Mark Ingram before the games on Sunday (week 16) and added Antonio Brown.  With our rules, if you add someone off waivers during the year, you can keep them the next year for an 8th round pick.  That being said, someone put a waiver claim in for Mark Ingram, and even though our year ends after week 16, the waiver claim for Mark Ingram was processed yesterday morning.  The owner that dropped Ingram is messaging me saying that transaction shouldn't have happened because the year ends after week 16, and this transaction occurred after the season.  What should I do?    

There is already an existing Commisioner's Corner thread here

I think your league needs to set better waiver rules.  I don't agree that you can just say the owner can have Ingram for a 4th round pick, that seems so arbitrary.  If Yahoo allowed the claim, then the season is still obviously ongoing.  We've had people get claims processed after the season "technically" ends, and yes, they were for keeper picks for next year.  Usually what happens is that teams on Sunday morning week 16 drop players that they aren't using and then speculate for next year.  The dropped players won't affect any playoff outcomes because they'll still be locked in waivers.  But if somebody puts in a claim for those dropped players, they will still indeed be processed and placed on the new team.  Even though on Tuesday morning, Yahoo locks all adds and drops.

I would say you have to let it through.  But again, some league discussion needs to happen.  As an aside, I think that's a ridiculous keeper rule that anybody who is picked up on waivers can be kept.  Wasn't Antonio Brown drafted?  Mark Ingram was obviously drafted.  Yet you're going to let these high draft picks be kept for 8th rounders?  NO!  So that means if any high draft pick busts, if you don't want anybody else in your league to benefit from them next year, you have to keep the turds on your bench and roster the entire year?  You should consider a "you can keep a player for round [X -1]", so if Mark Ingram was a 3rd round draft pick, the next year he would cost a 2nd rounder.  Or a more simple rule saying "No players in the first three rounds can be kept".  Anything is better than the way you are doing it now.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

If you dont have a rule prohibiting this transaction, gotta let it fly.  Blame goes to the jerk who cut Ingram and exposed him in my opinion.   

Rule changes to avoid this are obvious- lock rosters for anyone out of the playoffs, for one.  Also i recommend keeper values tied to draft round, regardless of if a player's dropped. 

So he picked up AB to keep him for 8th round next season? 

So he dropped Ingram and someone picked him up? 

Now he is bitching about it? 

Why? 

Unless he is your boss that could somehow fire you at work, you tell him that he is an idiot and now someone will have Ingram as a keeper for the 8th round. 

Why are you allowing keepers to be add/dropped etc so late in the season?

At the very least you should shut this off when the playoffs start. We stop ours in week 10. It's way too easy for teams out of the playoffs to dump solid players and pick up lottery tickets. 

Curious to know, what incentives do Commissioners utilize to keep all teams involved (submitting full lineups) until the end of the regular season?

My league gives out a weekly bonus $75 cash prize for the team with the highest points total the last 4 weeks of the season in an effort to keep the competitive spirit intact until the playoffs begin. 

The primary goal is to make sure all teams earn their playoff spot.    

The problem is some teams still check out and owners complain because it ruined their chance when someone doesn't play because they needed help to acquire a playoff spot.

Are there any other tricks or tips I can use as being the Commissioner to encourage everyone to submit a full competitive lineup until the end of the regular season even though their team is out of the playoff picture?   

4 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

Curious to know, what incentives do Commissioners utilize to keep all teams involved (submitting full lineups) until the end of the regular season?

My league gives out a weekly bonus $75 cash prize for the team with the highest points total the last 4 weeks of the season in an effort to keep the competitive spirit intact until the playoffs begin. 

The problem is some teams still check out and owners complain because it ruined their chance when someone doesn't play because they needed help to acquire a playoff spot.

Are there any other tricks or tips I can use as being the Commissioner to encourage everyone to submit a full competitive lineup until the end of the regular season even though their team is out of the playoff picture?   

I know its easier said than done sometimes, but its really up to the rest of the league to shame anyone that doesnt see a team through.  In 2020 all you need to do is open an app on your phone maybe 3x during the week at most to make sure your players are active and set your lineup accordingly.   If you dont care to think, just put in the guys your site projects to score the most, that's enough.    There aren't many common excuses that are acceptable to me to avoid putting in a lineup.  

2 hours ago, BrianM said:

I know its easier said than done sometimes, but its really up to the rest of the league to shame anyone that doesnt see a team through.  In 2020 all you need to do is open an app on your phone maybe 3x during the week at most to make sure your players are active and set your lineup accordingly.   If you dont care to think, just put in the guys your site projects to score the most, that's enough.    There aren't many common excuses that are acceptable to me to avoid putting in a lineup.  

Outside of a free league if people arent active just kick them out at the end of the year. There are plenty of people out there who will be active

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bhawks489 said:

Outside of a free league if people arent active just kick them out at the end of the year. There are plenty of people out there who will be active

Yeah that's exactly what I've been doing but it still seems to happen every year.  I've learned that some guys have huge egos and if things aren't turning out well and they start losing, they become selfish and decide to throw or tank games to rile up other owners.

I've had to apologize to the guys who are giving a full effort to win but when they get caught up in a bad situation due to someone checking out it just seems so wrong.

I've told those players there's nothing I can do but kick the other guy out and I've been true to my word every time it happens.

So yeah, my solution has been to boot them. I just wanted to ask the question to see if there was anything else I could realistically do on my part to keep everyone competitive throughout the regular season.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 1:37 PM, theSPANKER said:

If it's a keeper league, you can make the winner of the consolation bracket get 1st pick the following season.  Our draft order is based on the prior year's finish and goes: 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 5th, 6th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

If you don't pay down to 4th place, you should probably put the 4th place finisher before 5th and 6th (we pay money back to 4th place).

This really helps keep teams active.  

For redraft leagues I'm not sure.  If you play for money, you could give the winner of the consolation bracket a small amount of $ I suppose...but it wouldn't feel right with people who finish 5th and 6th not getting a payout.  As others said, try and find managers who will stay active and kick the other ones out.

Edited by WEIL3R
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, WEIL3R said:

If it's a keeper league, you can make the winner of the consolation bracket get 1st pick the following season.  Our draft order is based on the prior year's finish and goes: 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 5th, 6th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

If you don't pay down to 4th place, you should probably put the 4th place finisher before 5th and 6th (we pay money back to 4th place).

This really helps keep teams active.  

For redraft leagues I'm not sure.  If you play for money, you could give the winner of the consolation bracket a small amount of $ I suppose...but it wouldn't feel right with people who finish 5th and 6th not getting a payout.  As others said, try and find managers who will stay active and kick the other ones out.

It's a redraft league.  We do have a $50 Consolation Bowl. Something for folks who don't make the playoffs to play for.  This year two guys quit on me and didn't even bother to play for the CB money.  

I sometimes wonder if subjecting myself to the aggravation I get dealing with knucklehead is worth it. If it wasn't for the praise I receive from the other guys that they are genuinely appreciate of my efforts I would have stopped years ago. I feel like if I stop, then the ones who were disruptive will have won.

I just can't believe how many immature men I've come across playing FF and the silly games they play.  Many are so vain, it's like they believe the league won't go on or won't be the same without their presence or something like that.   

They quickly find out I don't tolerate the B.S. and punch them on a one-way ticket OUT.  It's unfortunate because some of them to me were borderline friends.  But I guess not the other way around. ;)   

• Like 1