NBC Sports Edge Forums

Overwhelmingly Great Rookie Class

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joshua doing his yearly "see I'm right and you were wrong" tours. One thing about this site that is guaranteed is that yearly tour of the 2 of 10 right guessed being flaunted.   Carry on fol

@Gohawks Just a reminder of some of the foolishness you were saying about CMAC in 2017 when I said he was a top 3 RB in the league.    

College is not the same as NFL. That's why more than half the first round picks bust or drastically under perform. As a Huskie fan I can safely say the PAC 12 defenses are utterly pathetic minus 3 tea

The incoming WR class looks really fun. There are gonna be some monster values that slip into Rd 2-4 (like many years, I suppose). That means some really outstanding teams are gonna find bonafide alpha playmakers-- ala Saints and M Thomas.

54 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

The incoming WR class looks really fun. There are gonna be some monster values that slip into Rd 2-4 (like many years, I suppose). That means some really outstanding teams are gonna find bonafide alpha playmakers-- ala Saints and M Thomas.

Michael Thomas was trashed by so many "experts" coming out of Ohio State who said he was too old, not a true NFL #1 WR, never put up huge numbers in college, etc.

Just a reminder to not believe most of what you hear about these prospects over the next few months.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 12/28/2019 at 10:11 AM, joshua18 said:

Michael Thomas was trashed by so many "experts" coming out of Ohio State who said he was too old, not a true NFL #1 WR, never put up huge numbers in college, etc.

Just a reminder to not believe most of what you hear about these prospects over the next few months.

It is the “season of lies” after all.  

some other team’s doubt can be our STEAL a few picks later. 

On 12/26/2019 at 6:54 PM, FavreCo said:

I really doubt Reid puts any stock in a rookie RB. See L. McCoy.

More likely he signs Bell (after the Jets cut him) and picks up a RB in the later rounds.

Just a couple years ago Reid made a rookie Kareem hunt the center of the offense.

reid seems to be more into smaller backs who are faster. I can’t really remember any of his backs that were big like bell. Westbrook, McCoy, Charles are all around 200lbs and hunt was 215-ish 

I think what is more likely is Reid waits till round  4 or 5 and he snatches up a good receiving back who can run like a deer.. Antonio Gibson cough cough. Who was actually a WR at Memphis but played a lot of snaps at RB and was said to be a standout at the senior bowl where he played RB

Edited by Stonej14
1 hour ago, Stonej14 said:

Just a couple years ago Reid made a rookie Kareem hunt the center of the offense.

reid seems to be more into smaller backs who are faster. I can’t really remember any of his backs that were big like bell. Westbrook, McCoy, Charles are all around 200lbs and hunt was 215-ish 

I think what is more likely is Reid waits till round  4 or 5 and he snatches up a good receiving back who can run like a deer.. Antonio Gibson cough cough. Who was actually a WR at Memphis but played a lot of snaps at RB and was said to be a standout at the senior bowl where he played RB

He just drafted Darwin Thompson last year - wouldn’t you think he’d like to at least see what he could offer first before spending one of five picks on yet another RB?

4 hours ago, BMcP said:

He just drafted Darwin Thompson last year - wouldn’t you think he’d like to at least see what he could offer first before spending one of five picks on yet another RB?

Maybe but RB was one of the weaker spots on the team this year due to injuries and Darwin hardly saw the field still Maybe he just needs more time to adapt? Either way the success rate of 6th rounders is very low and Darwin is already a slow undersized RB who isn’t known for his receiving skills like a Cohen or white. I’d say it’s safe to take a shot on a guy with a 4th or 5th who can can produce now. 

When Damien Williams in healthy he’s pretty great but that’s a pretty big “if” in my opinion. 

Also in my opinion the chiefs are in “win now” mode because next year they’ll make Pat Mahomes the highest paid player in history. And they won’t be able to afford all the other studs they have. So try to win another Super Bowl now because, god forbid, this could be the only Super Bowl Caliber team they ever have after having to pay pat mahomes. Look at Greenbay and Aaron Rodgers. Or the Seahawks after they paid Wilson and the ravens with flocco (I kno the skill level isn’t even comparable)

Edited by Stonej14
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

Maybe but RB was one of the weaker spots on the team this year due to injuries and Darwin hardly saw the field still Maybe he just needs more time to adapt? Either way the success rate of 6th rounders is very low and Darwin is already a slow undersized RB who isn’t known for his receiving skills like a Cohen or white. I’d say it’s safe to take a shot on a guy with a 4th or 5th who can can produce now. 

When Damien Williams in healthy he’s pretty great but that’s a pretty big “if” in my opinion. 

Also in my opinion the chiefs are in “win now” mode because next year they’ll make Pat Mahomes the highest paid player in history. And they won’t be able to afford all the other studs they have. So try to win another Super Bowl now because, god forbid, this could be the only Super Bowl Caliber team they ever have after having to pay pat mahomes. Look at Greenbay and Aaron Rodgers. Or the Seahawks after they paid Wilson and the ravens with flocco (I kno the skill level isn’t even comparable)

Bingo.   Chiefs are in a SB window and rb was brutal for them last season.    You either draft one top 3/4 rounds or you go for a FA 

On 12/28/2019 at 11:11 AM, joshua18 said:

Whoever said michael thomas was too old should be slapped. what a dumb comment.

Sure, but - they have much more pressing needs.   CB first of all, because I think all three of their starters are off to FA.  They also desperately need a coverage LB; it’s a huge weakness right now.  They could also use an interior D-lineman to deflect attention from Jones.  And an edge rusher to pair with Clark.  I haven’t even gotten to the need to protect Mahomes more effectively with upgrades along the line (apologies to beast Mitchell Schwartz).

Also, given that Robinson is likely leaving and nobody knows what’s up with Watkins, they need someone to run with Hill and Hardman in their frequent 3-WR sets.

Edited by BMcP

Definitely in that mode, no doubt.  If DW had some sort of sordidly checkered injury history, I’d be for that pick.  But I think right now it’s the least of their problems.  Williams has been awesome whenever healthy - and he’s cheap.

15 hours ago, BMcP said:

Sure, but - they have much more pressing needs.   CB first of all, because I think all three of their starters are off to FA.  They also desperately need a coverage LB; it’s a huge weakness right now.  They could also use an interior D-lineman to deflect attention from Jones.  And an edge rusher to pair with Clark.  I haven’t even gotten to the need to protect Mahomes more effectively with upgrades along the line (apologies to beast Mitchell Schwartz).

Also, given that Robinson is likely leaving and nobody knows what’s up with Watkins, they need someone to run with Hill and Hardman in their frequent 3-WR sets.

you make good points. this is a deep corner back free agency this year and can easily reload the DB if they are willing to pay. If your biggest frets are getting a cover linebacker and a wr3 I think your ok I don’t think having 2 pro bowl level defensive lineman is a problem that’s 2 more than most teams had this year. One main point is for drafting a rb over other positions in this “win now” mode is that rookie rbs have a hire success rate of coming in and contributing. Rookie corners, lineman, and wrs usually take more time to learn the game. Fill those major holes with veteran free agents and try to win the next Super Bowl and and yes use your earlier picks to bolster line play but a 4th or a 5th on a RB should at least be an option if the right guy comes along imo

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Stonej14 said:

you make good points. this is a deep corner back free agency this year and can easily reload the DB if they are willing to pay. If your biggest frets are getting a cover linebacker and a wr3 I think your ok I don’t think having 2 pro bowl level defensive lineman is a problem that’s 2 more than most teams had this year. One main point is for drafting a rb over other positions in this “win now” mode is that rookie rbs have a hire success rate of coming in and contributing. Rookie corners, lineman, and wrs usually take more time to learn the game. Fill those major holes with veteran free agents and try to win the next Super Bowl and and yes use your earlier picks to bolster line play but a 4th or a 5th on a RB should at least be an option if the right guy comes along imo

Thanks!  I don’t think I’d have a problem with a 4-5 pick on a RB.

Edited by BMcP
15 hours ago, bhawks489 said:

Would you take jeudy over all of the RBs?

team dependent...there’s remarkable talent at rb and wr.   Say— dobbins goes to Houston in the late second..that would rival the top WRs 

• Like 1
On 12/26/2019 at 6:13 PM, BMcP said:

Dude - props for finding a post from back in 2017!!?  😆

If it's because someone else is pretending it's only hindsight and being critical in the process, I think it's fair to correct them if needed

On 12/27/2019 at 8:05 AM, lolcopter said:

*ahem*

wxmlC0E.png

giphy.gif

Isn't 80 near 90 in the grand scheme of things? What's your point here exactly?

• Haha 1