NBC Sports Edge Forums

Aaron Judge 2020 Outlook

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dude's about as durable as he is handsome.  Welcome to my DND team.

Coming for the mvp after being robbed by that short guy 

I can’t find a single hitter that underwent resection of the first rib. It’s been fairly common in pitchers for thoracic outlet syndrome and recovery takes about 6 months for them. For a hitter 3 or 4

8 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

Let's pretend he has the surgery and the rib is removed. I have no idea what a recovery time-table would be for that. 3 months?

I can’t find a single hitter that underwent resection of the first rib. It’s been fairly common in pitchers for thoracic outlet syndrome and recovery takes about 6 months for them. For a hitter 3 or 4 months seems like a pretty good guess because it’s a pretty invasive procedure. I actually think the odds of him getting the surgery aren’t too high.

Purely speculating but my guess is the fracture was missed in his first sets of tests which is rather common with this injury (though is no excuse for a billion dollar organization). He’s probably had a dull aching in the shoulder over the offseason that only intensified when he got to camp. He may have been swinging a bat, throwing, and lifting weights all offseason which hasn’t allowed it to completely heal. The tricky part with a stress fracture is he will have to wait to be pain free to start swinging and throwing and if he pushes it too soon it really sets the recovery process back. Now that they’ve finally identified the source of his pain, it’ll be easy to track and they’ll be doing frequent imaging to see how it’s healing.

• Like 5
19 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Didn’t this happen with David Dahl 

Yes, but it was to Dahl’s 6th rib and he never made it back that year:

During spring training in 2017, Dahl had a stress fracture in a rib, making it painful to swing the bat. After developing back spasmswhile rehabilitating in July, the Rockies shut Dahl down for the season.[21]

3 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I can’t find a single hitter that underwent resection of the first rib. It’s been fairly common in pitchers for thoracic outlet syndrome and recovery takes about 6 months for them. For a hitter 3 or 4 months seems like a pretty good guess because it’s a pretty invasive procedure. I actually think the odds of him getting the surgery aren’t too high.

Purely speculating but my guess is the fracture was missed in his first sets of tests which is rather common with this injury (though is no excuse for a billion dollar organization). He’s probably had a dull aching in the shoulder over the offseason that only intensified when he got to camp. He may have been swinging a bat, throwing, and lifting weights all offseason which hasn’t allowed it to completely heal. The tricky part with a stress fracture is he will have to wait to be pain free to start swinging and throwing and if he pushes it too soon it really sets the recovery process back. Now that they’ve finally identified the source of his pain, it’ll be easy to track and they’ll be doing frequent imaging to see how it’s healing.

Great write up! I'm kinda freaking out right now. I have to declare keepers Sunday and this news absolutely kills me. 

51 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Boone mentioned it as a possibility but not if the bone is healing. 

I don’t trust Boone with anything medical.  Hopefully a pitcher doesn’t strain a bicep or he’ll advocate for sawing the arm off.  

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Ecofolux said:

Great write up! I'm kinda freaking out right now. I have to declare keepers Sunday and this news absolutely kills me. 

That’s a pretty big decision.  I’m guessing a lot of judge owners will be needing to make a similiar one.  Bench coach that one up on the other forum.  Some great advice on there.

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

Yes, but it was to Dahl’s 6th rib and he never made it back that year:

During spring training in 2017, Dahl had a stress fracture in a rib, making it painful to swing the bat. After developing back spasmswhile rehabilitating in July, the Rockies shut Dahl down for the season.[21]

I remember this one pretty well.  Pretty much all reports had him coming back at the end of April.  Just kept getting pushed back and back and back.  I know, it’s not the exact same injury, or the same person.  But it’s a pretty good comparison. At this point, not sure who’s more fragile between Judge and Dahl, but if these injuries are similar, I’m tacking on quite a bit of time for that expected return date.

7 minutes ago, DFWSooner said:

Yahoo now his him ranked at 83.  I highly doubt he'll fall that far in my upcoming draft but just trying to get an idea where some of you would feel comfortable taking him at?

He was also ranked 83 last night. The recent news hasnt changed his ranking as far as yahoo is concerned (yet)